Tinuviel
Pettytyrant
Pettytyrant101
Ringdrotten
Old Forum
22 posters

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Alternative adaptations of LoTR and TH - Page 11 Empty Re: Alternative adaptations of LoTR and TH

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:58 pm

But its not precisely what you would read, its an adaptation to radio.
I dont see how thats any less valid than adapting to any other medium.  Shrugging 
But then I grew up listening to radio plays and probably still listen to at least as much now as I watch tv or films.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Alternative adaptations of LoTR and TH - Page 11 Empty Re: Alternative adaptations of LoTR and TH

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:22 am

Oh, those are adaptations not 'books on tape'? Then that's something different. I'd still probably only listen to it while driving. But it has to be quite thoroughly adapted to pull me away from the book. The same dialogue, but different approach to descriptive or action sections: maybe 30% pure Tolkien passages, the rest compressed.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:28 am

Its 13, 1 hour episodes. Which if it were TV would be a more than reasonable amount of time and short by a US standard for a season.
Thats a 50 minute selection covering FotR, I picked ones I liked and some scenes PJ didnt cover, as I thought folks might like to hear how those characters were adapted.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:39 am

Yeah, the radio play isn't an audiobook, Halfwise. It's a very good adaptation with great actors. When I used to travel a lot by train I'd listen to them often. If you haven't heard them I'd say you're missing out Wink Just don't get put off by the first 5 minutes or so. Might be you like it, but I'm not overly fond of the beginning (nor of Gollum in this adaptation in general).

Alternative adaptations of LoTR and TH - Page 11 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:25 pm

I was thinking about Middle-earth video games I've played over the years, and out of idle curiosity I read through a couple of lists of games and put together a (I think) comprehensive list of all the Middle-earth games that have come out, split up based on what part of the franchise/license they were released under.

Click for full size:
Alternative adaptations of LoTR and TH - Page 11 1ZIy9hIl

As I've probably mentioned before, the tie-in games for TTT and ROTK are to a large part what got me interested in Tolkien in the first place, and they're still my favorites.  I tried the FOTR book game that was released around the same time, but I never enjoyed it that much.  I've heard good things about the LEGO games, BFME2, and the OG 1982 Hobbit game, but I haven't played any of those.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:33 pm

I've played all the book based versions listed there Eldo- the Fellowship of the Ring game from Melbourne house was a particular favourite- text adventure, but good atmosphere and it came in a huge plastic case that had a copy of Fellowship in it.
Stayed with me that game- when I edited Fellowship for the purist edits I put a flash to white into the transition scene when they leave Moria, inspired purely on the mental imagery of going from hours of wandering in the dark descriptions of Moria to the bright descriptions of Dimrill Dale- funny how some things stick with you years later.

I also played the film tie-ins- but sorry Eldo I thought they were terrible- nice looking but that was it- just a basic button masher otherwise.

Also played the strategy game, although I prefer the much older War in ME for that.

And I briefly tried War in the North- but wanted to smash my pc up after about 10 minutes of it.  Mad 

ps- no one listen to the radio play extracts? I was going to put up some select scenes from TT and RotK too but not much point if no one is listening  Evil or Very Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:35 pm

Those tie-in games were great! I take it you mean these two?

Alternative adaptations of LoTR and TH - Page 11 Twotowersbox1

Alternative adaptations of LoTR and TH - Page 11 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqoMj3dsuBBh-v3GBHMh3zWnYzE38It0FDeNn7g5OwmFQL4et2mQ

Damn, now I want to play them Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:38 pm

They sucked, repetitive button mashing- it was impossible to lose. You just keep hammering the buttons and then win the game. There was nothing else to them. So dull and boring. Pretty for the time, but yawn-worthy to play.

But then when they came out you and Eldo were about 4 year sold or something so that might (just) explain your love of them.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:40 pm

Laughing

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:44 pm

Yep, those are the ones, Ringo. Very Happy I loved that they had so many clips from the films (not to mention the use of the soundtrack) because I wasn't allowed to watch the films at first. Then when I was, my dad made us skip the parts that were "too violent", including all of TTT. But apparently hacking up orcs was okay in video game format. Shrugging But seriously, I fucking love those games and still play them from time to time now. And I still can't defeat thosee damn mumakil at the Pelennor Fields level without help. Mad

Pettytyrant101 wrote:They sucked, repetitive button mashing- it was impossible to lose. You just keep hammering the buttons and then win the game. There was nothing else to them. So dull and boring. Pretty for the time, but yawn-worthy to play.

But then when they came out you and Eldo were about 4 year sold or something so that might (just) explain your love of them.

About eight, actually, but I fully acknowledge that my love for those games is mostly based on nostalgia. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:46 pm

War in ME on the Amiga (which is what I played it on- and in fact occasionally still do on an amiga emulator)-

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:51 pm

Good memories, Eldo Very Happy

Petty - that game looks fantastic. Reminds me of the games I used to play on my Gameboy Colour - the sounds, the text boxes, the graphics Very Happy I'm glad that we got to play "old games" on those at least (and to some extent on computers as well). Kids who grow up now will never understand the beauty of pixels Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:05 am

when I was 8 all we had was conkers and a bit of string. maybe that explains my love of smashing little balls together. nostalgia.  Twisted Evil 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:07 am

Its certainly not without its flaws Ringdrotten- the options in the strategy is pretty limited- theres only about 5 or 6 options ranging from retreat up to charge.
But as the game progresses you do get control of all the good guy armies (if you get the stuff you need to convince them to help that is) and you get to do helms deep, pelennor ect

But mainly its the ambition of those old games and the scope they aim for that is still so impressive- most modern games often feel small and confined to me compared to games of that era, which is odd given how limited the tech was they were trying to do it on.
It seems to me that the more powerful the machine have got, the more games have only got shiner and prettier, but the actual ambition and what they try to do has got less and less an a lot duller.
Even Skyrim out the box is dull and narrow- you need 200 mods to make it have that scope and ambition (and no thats not an exaggeration my Skyrim has 250 mods running!)

"maybe that explains my love of smashing little balls together"- Mrs Figg

pale I dont suppose now is a good time to remind you my barrel isnt getting any cleaner and you still havent done anything about it.  Mad  (and didnt you even have a good ole speccy to play?)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:20 am

"most modern games often feel small and confined" - Petty

I agree 100%, and I've not even experienced the games you talk about. Like that game you've mentioned and posted pictures from in the games thread, the one set in space. It seems so huge. If you want to play games like that today you'll have to turn to MMOs, but the problem with those is that they're so time consuming that you're never able to keep up with the hardcore people unless you drop out of society entirely. And that is a shame, because some of the most memorable and fun experiences I've had with games have been in MMOs, playing with friends and just having a laugh. Sadly, there's not much room for casual gamers when you reach end-game.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:38 am

the one set in space. It seems so huge. - Ringdrotten

Elite: Frontier and yeah it is huge- the same size as the Milky Way in fact  Shocked  All those stars, all those solar systems and every one with planets operating according to a Newtonian physics model in their orbits (including gravity- I landed on a planet once whose mass was so large my ship didnt have the thrust to get back out the gravity well) now thats ambitious game writing.  Nod 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:27 am

I really wanted to try Lord of the Rings: Conquest, when it came out, but I didn't have a console, or a PC that could handle it. I liked Star Wars: Battlefront, and Conquest reminded me a lot of that. But based on the bad scores it got, I'm kind of glad I didn't bother. Razz

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:36 am

I was playing a lot of Battlefront II when the hype for Conquest started, so I was really excited about it too, but a combination of bad reviews and a lack of money made me feel like it wasn't worth it. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:24 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:ps- no one listen to the radio play extracts? I was going to put up some select scenes from TT and RotK too but not much point if no one is listening  Evil or Very Mad

I was thinking about giving the whole thing a go, actually. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thank you for alerting me to it.  Nod  

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:36 am

Don't get put off by the start (gollum scene), like I nearly was. Perhaps you won't mind it, but I didn't like it much. Anyway, the play is great, perfect for a long flight or train ride Smile

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:34 pm

Agreed, the opening scene is not a good indication of whats to come, and is my least favourite part of the entire series. I skip it personally and start when it gets to the Shire.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:42 am

http://tolkienbritta.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/rankinbass-hobbit-and-return-of-king.html

review of Rankin/Bass' "The Hobbit" & "The Return of the King" remastered deluxe editions (out tomorrow!):

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:14 am

I can understand why some people are so fond of the Rankin/Bass version of The Hobbit. Sure, it's cheesy and poorly animated (though that was par for the course in the '70s) and the Elves look like freaky aliens, but I'm sure it all seems pretty great when you're six and it does hit most of the beats from the book. However, Rankin/Bass' Return of the King is an abomination and I'm never sure if the people who sing its praises, especially the ones who hold it up as a model of adaptation, are taking the piss or not.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:41 am

Rankin/Bass' the Hobbit is great (and no, Eldo, I am not six). The DVD will only be worth purchasing if they've restored the original sound effects (which they probably haven't, knowing that it's WB).

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:50 am

Honestly not trying to be condescending here, but did you first watch it as a little kid?  I bring this up because (almost) everyone I have ever heard praise the film saw it as a child and so I tend to suspect that nostalgia plays a major role.  Not that there's anything wrong with that. Of course, there's nothing wrong with adults liking the film on its own merits either; I just didn't think it was all that good. It's been a while since I've seen the film though, so I might be less judgmental now..
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next