azriel
CC12 35
Pettytyrant101
Norc
Eldorion
26 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [2] - Page 40 Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [2]

Post by Radaghast Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:44 pm

I always saw it as an effective way to demonstrate how weary they were in their continual pursuit, so weary even Aragorn is stumbling in his tiredness.
That's an interesting perspective, but I don't remember anything like it from the book. I got the impression that Aragorn was, from appearance at least, tireless. I get the feeling that Tolkien would have frowned on it.

Overall, I find the film's depiction of Aragorn was fairly bizarre.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [2] - Page 40 Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Humour: Parodies, Satires and More [2]

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:44 pm

PJ may have taken visual ideas but he transformed them into something beautiful, its like muddy clay transformed into fine pottery
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:59 pm

don't remember anything like it from the book. I got the impression that Aragorn was, from appearance at least, tireless.- Radaghast

In the chapter Riders of Rohan, Aragorn comments-

"Yet I am weary...as I have seldom been before, weary as no Ranger should be with a clear trail to follow."

'Weary' comes up often in this passage such as -"wearily they followed him, climbing up the long slope"

So I think that having the hardiest of them seemingly stumble in his tiredness is an effective way of conveying this same sense of weariness that the chapter does, but in a very short time frame.

"its like muddy clay transformed into fine pottery"- Mrs Figg

Its more like mugging the mud potter, stealing all his ideas, and then making his ideas in clay and claiming it all as your own.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Radaghast Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:11 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:don't remember anything like it from the book. I got the impression that Aragorn was, from appearance at least, tireless.- Radaghast

In the chapter Riders of Rohan, Aragorn comments-

"Yet I am weary...as I have seldom been before, weary as no Ranger should be with a clear trail to follow."

'Weary' comes up often in this passage such as -"wearily they followed him, climbing up the long slope"

So I think that having the hardiest of them seemingly stumble in his tiredness is an effective way of conveying this same sense of weariness that the chapter does, but in a very short time frame.
Fair point. But I'd be more willing to accept it if he just stumbled visibly from weariness instead of tripping over his scabbard. That suggests clumsiness to me rather than weariness.
Radaghast
Radaghast
Barrel-rider

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:24 pm

I always took it as weariness as it happens during a running transition from day into dark night to show they have been running continually all day and into the night.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:30 pm

it still looks like shit
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:07 pm

Thats subjective- I dislike a lot of it but not all of it, there are some beautifully painted backgrounds for example.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:27 pm

I agree with Raddy about the wearyness. The three of them, Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn go running over vast areas without stopping, any normal man would have died of exhaustion, (unless he was one of those Inca running men) it was Gimli that felt it most I think. They were very weary but not stumbling about.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:30 pm

They were very weary but not stumbling about.- Mrs Figg

I never said they were- I said portraying the seeming strongest of them as stumbling however is a fair way in a short time frame in an adaptation of indicating to the viewer the weariness that the prose speaks of in the book to the reader.
It certainly seems more justifiable to me than most of Pj's alterations (if not all of them) at least this has basis in the text for what it is trying to convey.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:33 pm

I thought PJ portrayed the chase over Rohan perfectly.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:36 pm

I didnt as he keeps cutting away from it and you lose the sense of how relentless and continual it is. Thats one of the things about my own edit of TT I now enjoy the most, the sense of the pursuit it lends to it when its uninterrupted like the book.

Not to mention Gimli falling on is arse for comic relief. Evil or Very Mad  (And how is that not far worse than Aragorn stumbling from tiredness in Bakshi's?)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:37 pm

no
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:38 pm

no? scratch To what?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:44 pm

all of it, and everything you will ever say. Suspect

(((((Laughing  that should do it ))))))
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:46 pm

I also felt the felt the Gimli stuff went a bit far.

After all Tolkien went out of his way to point out the dwarfs hardiness, and how they out of all the races in Middle Earth could do long hard forced marches with the heaviest burdens.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:47 pm

You cant baffle me with your womens wiles Mrs Figg!!!

No, hang on, that should be- you have baffled me with your womens wiles! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I also felt the felt the Gimli stuff went a bit far. - Blue

I'll take a serious Aragorn stumbling through weariness over a comedy Gimli rolling down a hill any day.

-------

http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/viewtopic.forum?t=848

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40