Lord of the Rings Online (aslo Skyrim)

+3
RA
Pettytyrant101
TheUberNerdyKid
7 posters

Go down

Lord of the Rings Online (aslo Skyrim) Empty Lord of the Rings Online (aslo Skyrim)

Post by TheUberNerdyKid Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:37 pm

Hey guys, do any of you play Lord of the Rings Online? I have for a little while, I find it fun, but I prefer World of Warcraft, even though MMO's aren't usually my thing. How about you guys?

Last edited by TheUberNerdyKid on Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shireling

http://twitter.com/TheUberNerdyKid

Back to top Go down

Lord of the Rings Online (aslo Skyrim) Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Online (aslo Skyrim)

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Sorry UberNerdykid- I played it when it first came out long enough to have every single one of my purist sensibilites set ablaze and had to leave for the good of my own health. That and being a crabbit I hate having to deal with people in real life as it is, when I play games I do so to get away from the buggers not to meet more of them! Mad

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Lord of the Rings Online (aslo Skyrim) Empty Re: Lord of the Rings Online (aslo Skyrim)

Post by TheUberNerdyKid Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:44 pm

Well said. I know MMOs are designed to be played with groups of people, but I always prefer playing games in general by myself, or with close friends, rather than just people I meet online via the game. Even in WoW I do that.
It doesn't help that LOTRO isn't the greatest quality MMO either.

Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:00 pm

mmm do I detect a young crabbit in the making? Showing sutable cynicism towards the rest of humanity there at least. Good to see young folks with the right values about here at last. Nod
You dont by any chance happen to have any Scottish blood in your Canadian ancestory do you?

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:11 pm

Sorry I can't play Lotr online. I signed the petition for Merp.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by TheUberNerdyKid Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Nope, just English, Danish, German, and a splash of Russian. No Scottish to my knowledge.
But it's pretty much impossible to get any whiter than I am.

Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by TheUberNerdyKid Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:18 pm

Recoveryanonymous wrote:Sorry I can't play Lotr online. I signed the petition for Merp.
Does the MERP fine print specify no LOTRO?

Is it like the Air Conditioner Repair School in the show Community?

Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:37 pm

TheUberNerdyKid wrote:
Recoveryanonymous wrote:Sorry I can't play Lotr online. I signed the petition for Merp.
Does the MERP fine print specify no LOTRO?

Is it like the Air Conditioner Repair School in the show Community?
Laughing No but I love that show. Troy is their Messiah.
It just doesn't feel right supporting a Lotr Warner Brother game after what they've done, even if it's free.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by TheUberNerdyKid Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:51 pm

Good point.
Is Skyrim in general even a good game? Never played Elder Scrolls before, but I have this feeling that it is vastly overrated. But MERP does seem very interesting.
Also, aren't mods like that fair use?

Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:54 pm

Is Skyrim in general even a good game?- UberNerdykid

Shocked

http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t426-canthiss-and-lydia-a-tale-of-skyrim

You could say Im a bit of a fan of it.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by TheUberNerdyKid Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:01 pm

Well, I may have to give it a try finally. I just don't understand how to work mods in anything ever. Is it for Mac?

Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:04 pm

Dunno about mac-pc.xbox/ps3 for definite.

Adding mods for pc is really easy. Much easier than in previous Elder Scrolls games.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:05 pm

TheUberNerdyKid wrote:
But MERP does seem very interesting.
Also, aren't mods like that fair use?
Fair use is a tricky thing. For one it's up to a court of law to determine what is and isn't fair use. Non-profit, the effect it may have on the market, the purpose of the project (whether commercial or not) all factor in a court's decision. The problem is that the only way to be declared fair use when a company comes after you is to go to court, an expensive process.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:14 pm

I was a 46 Minstrel before I stopped playing Smile
Wouldn't bother with Skyrim- Morrowind is the superior game.

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:19 pm

Yeah, but mods can fix everything. Look at Skywind, the Morrowind port.

RA
RA

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:23 pm

A modded Morrowind play through will be far better than a modded Skyrim play through.

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by TheUberNerdyKid Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:37 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Dunno about mac-pc.xbox/ps3 for definite.

Adding mods for pc is really easy. Much easier than in previous Elder Scrolls games.

Well I have only a Macbook and nothing else, so even if it was for Mac I don't think my computer would have enough BLAST PROCESSING to handle Elder Scrolls anything.

Shireling

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:04 pm

Bag yourself a Morrowind port honey.

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:10 am

Ha, I knew I could find one of these in here.
I played LotRO for years actually. 2008 on and off through 2012 or so.
I had a great time at first simply playing the game, but then when things changed too much and got stale I only played it for the challenge of the raids. There are few things you can do online that require more patience and person-finesse than trying to get 12 or 24 other people to get their stupid game characters to work together in the right way and defeat a boss or dungeon.

Once I organized a server-wide attempt at an instance-challenge-run. It flopped ultimately. Server was too small, and no-one really cared. I sure had fun getting the ideas together anyway.

http://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?497779-Dungeons-Challenge-Save-the-Elves!

(I did eventually get a moderator's attention. They offered to help out with in-game rewards, but by then I didn't have the heart to try and make it happen anymore.)

I do agree with you Petty about how much lore-breaking is done in that game. However, it does a good job of providing an alternate vision of Middle-Earth to what Peter Jackson and Co. has put forth. That validates it as a worthwhile contribution, to my mind. Besides, the Mines of Moria expansion was really excellent. Showing and letting players be part of the dwarven resettling of Moria was genius. Since then the game has gone downhill, and I stopped playing a couple years back.

Although, in a similar sense the expansion into Mirkwood was really good too. And of course the original setting of Angmar was pretty nice.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:09 pm

It all ended for me quite quickly- as soon as I was sent off to battle giant spiders in the dangerous woods of the Shire.  Mad 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:25 pm

I played LOTRO for about an hour. Got bored, and it was basically a WOW clone (and I had a similar experience with WOW "Go kill 15 of these. Go collect 10 of these. Blah blah blah."  Sleep 

It was also quite the storage hog. 20 gigabytes! Yikes!  pale 

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:23 pm

Hey I just realised this is also a Skyrim thread!

So playing Skyrim but fed up with vanilla followers repeating the same half a dozen lines of dialogue at you everywhere you go?
Want companions with personality, stories and lives of their own and who will react to situations, npc's, locations and you?

Then these are the mods for you, this lot make up my current party of adventurers and all come highly recommended for adding some variety to your experience-

Inigo-

Arissa-

Hoth

Sophia

And still the greatest companion mod on the nexus, or anywhere for that matter, Vilja-

And if you want the world to be more interestingly populated I also highly recommend Interesting NPC's and Inconsequential NPC's, adding loads of interesting folks with tales to tell and more personality than all the vanilla NPC's added together- some have quests attached, some are just there to talk to and make the world seem more real.

Also on my recommended list is Follower Commentary Overhaul- which adds much more dialogue to the vanilla companions like Lydia, by using voice files the same actress recorded for other npc's and characters it greatly expands the dialogue of vanilla followers making them less annoying, and its configurable through the mod menu (assuming you have SkyUI, which you should!)

And finally you might want Amazing follower tweaks- giving lots more options for interacting and managing your companions.

Add one or more of these to your game and you will never travel alone again!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:30 am

That advertisement is strangely appealing!

Except for the purple cat-thing. I like my Inigos Spanish and mustachio'd.

Lord of the Rings Online (aslo Skyrim) Inigo-Montoya-the-princess-bride-inigo-montoya-8194101-330-282

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:43 pm

Well he has whiskers.  Shrugging 

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:29 am

Not good enough Petty!! Not NEARLY good enough!

Lord of the Rings Online (aslo Skyrim) JOE+2

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down