Gandalf's Beard
Ringdrotten
Eldorion
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Inaugural purist thread Empty Inaugural purist thread

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:20 pm

The Scouring of the Shire should have been included.

Twisted Evil

Last edited by Eldorion on Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Inaugural purist thread Empty Re: Inaugural purist thread

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:24 pm

I'll have you Purists for this!

Inaugural purist thread Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:42 pm

Eldorion wrote:The Scouring of the Shire should have been included.

Twisted Evil

It would have been anticlimactic. Wink

(Isn't this great? It wasn't worth rehashing old arguments on the last forum as we'd already had them. I guess we'll have to get them going again so newbies can have a crack at them. Very Happy ).

GB
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:24 pm

Well now that GB split out the Scouring stuff, what do we do here?

Perhaps I shall defend the honor of the 'moderate' purist position against Petty and Odo. study (Where is Odo, anyway?)
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:26 pm

Ooops, I thought my last post would start the new thread. Embarassed

I just figured the Scouring is a topic unto itself. These threads should probably just be a place to heckle each other. Laughing

GB
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:27 pm

Sounds good. And yes, the innaugural threads are shaping up to be rather silly. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:28 pm

I expect Odo will be along soon enough (and Biffo and Wisey and Mirabella etc Wink ).

GB

The very first Hobbit Films fanfiction on the Internet, formerly known as The Adventures of Bilbo and Itaril when first posted waaaay back in 2009, revised and retitled as The Adventures of Bilbo and Tauriel

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5678122/1/The-Adventures-of-Bilbo-and-Tauriel

Inaugural purist thread Main-qimg-25b60ec8346a6008664b1df35a2131cd

"It is like a finger pointing at the moon. Pay no attention to the finger or you will miss all that heavenly Glory"--Bruce Lee

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence."--Carl Sagan
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:29 pm

I think I'm going to like you having old arguments again - I get to join in!! Very Happy

Last edited by Kafria on Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : as suggested removed bits that need to be on another thread!)

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:29 pm

Yes, I hope the entire Banks clan shows up. Very Happy I suspect that Planet Tolkien might not like having so many different aspects of the same personality around, but I love it. lol!
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Kafria wrote:I think I'm going to like you having old arguments again - I get to join in!! Very Happy

We should bring back the Faramir debate then, that was my first ever disagreement with GB! A portent of things to come. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:32 pm

Hey Kafria. Why don't you copy and paste your post onto the Scouring of the Shire thread. Then you can delete it here. (save me some Mod time Wink ).

GB
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:34 pm

Indeed, the adaptation of Faramir makes a nice discussion Smile

Inaugural purist thread Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed May 02, 2012 7:03 am

Ringdrotten wrote:Indeed, the adaptation of Faramir makes a nice discussion Smile

I can't believe you ever got away with saying that, Ringo! Shocked

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed May 02, 2012 9:08 am

I quite like these kind of threads... arguing is one of my favourite things to do.

Maybe someone should set an agenda! My agenda item would be 'Army of the Dead: Green, Mean and waste of a Scene?'

I have plenty more to offer up.

Re the scouring - should have been included on the DVDs/Blu Rays as an extra, would have given the films far too much to cover otherwise.

Re Faramir - he was an idiot in the films and it made the plot make no sense.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed May 02, 2012 10:10 am

Lancebloke wrote:Re the scouring - should have been included on the DVDs/Blu Rays as an extra, would have given the films far too much to cover otherwise.

Either that, or put it in the film in the first place and do the right thing by Tolkien (and people who prefer Great stories Greatly filmed).

Lancebloke wrote:Re Faramir - he was an idiot in the films and it made the plot make no sense.

Yes - yes ---- and yes! "Idiot" is the word!

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed May 02, 2012 6:23 pm

Faramir was Boromir Lite, without the charm or the balls. and he should have had dark hair.

The green army of he dead killed off the tension of the battle, we didnt actually see them do anything, no sense of the following army of dread behind Aragorn. we should have seen them up close and personal in Minas Tirith, imagine an orc just about to kill a Gondorian, and behind him looms this shadow of fear and dread, the Gondorian cowers in terror, which is worse? orc or ghostie? it destroys orc, it looks at quivering Gondorian with sadness and disappears.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 02, 2012 6:29 pm

Lancebloke wrote:Maybe someone should set an agenda! My agenda item would be 'Army of the Dead: Green, Mean and waste of a Scene?'

lol!

Never thought I'd see this thread resurrected...
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed May 02, 2012 6:59 pm

"Yes, the Dead ride behind. They have been summoned."

One of my favorite lines cut out, still sends chills up my spine.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu May 03, 2012 3:46 am

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it, Eldo. Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 04, 2012 12:48 am

The whole Paths of the Dead/Army of the Dead is so appalingly handled it borders on farce. Gone is all the fear in the book- why not keep in the scene where they find the guy trying to claw his way through the door? Creepy as hell- no lets have Gimli comically crunching over bones and cringing instead!!!!! Inaugural purist thread 398825057
And the whole Dead arriving at Pellenor takes away all the jeopardy of it in an instance. From the moment they arrive its over, the battles won. Pathetic.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri May 04, 2012 3:12 am

ditto, ditto, ditto. Did they even have the flags changing? Sigh.

So long as I ignore the fact that it's supposed to be Lord of the Rings I enjoy what they did with Mumakil, though. Yes, even the Leggy moment. But it takes a deft bit of amnesia.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri May 04, 2012 3:51 am

This all brings back a certain anxiety that always comes back when I think of LotR and what PJ will do to The Hobbit... No

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 04, 2012 10:53 am

I enjoy what they did with Mumakil, though. Yes, even the Leggy moment.- Halfwise

I can enjoy aspects of the Mumakil bit purely as spectacular cinema- particularly the opening engagement. Large chunks of it just make me cringe however, the Leggy moment and Eowyn hacking down the Mumakil being two of them.
But my main problem with it is to do with how I see the duty of the adaptors. In my view one of the first things an adaptor should do is break down the original and see how it works.
One of the things Tolkien is notable for is he knows how a battle works and he goes to some lengths to rpepresent them as military engagements. A solid grounding in reality.
When adapting Tolkien I believe it is no less important this aspect be represented, no less so than any other in his work and should be adapted as faithfully as possible- not turned into the opening of Empire Strikes Back with Mumakil and horses instead of AT-AT's and Snowspeeders.
Give me the homestead dotted Pelennor, house to house fighting, fire trenches, some semblence of tactics (on either side) Aragorn meeting Eomer in the midst of the battle field whilst the day is still in the balance and the blood lust of battle is on them. The Haradrim Captain under his standard being recklessly set upon by an enraged grief stricken Eomer after he has found Eowyn with his men riding with him chanting 'Death!'
I could do without the PJ spectacle if I got that because for all the in the moment adrenlain pumping of it you don't really care. You never feel that Legolas is in any actual danger, or Gimli, or Aragorn, especially not as one is Legolas has morphed into superelf and they have an invincible army of dead with them. All the emotional anxiety of the book, the tension, the horror of it is completely lost.
In a different sort of film, not LotR's it would be fine popcorn stuff, but this is LotR's and it deserved more respect and gravitas than that.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri May 04, 2012 2:04 pm

I think they should have cut out chunks of the TT to fit all that in, I would have cut all the escaping kids, Aragorn falling over a cliff rubbish to fit in more of the battle in front of Pellenor fields, even though it meant that TT and ROTK ended and started at different points, just so that if they didnt have time to fit everything in in ROTK it made a better film all round. I would love to have seen all the things you described, from the moment they entered the Paths of the Dead to the battle I would have done that section again, without the green mist and Eowyn chopping Mumakil, I did like some bits though, I thought Theodens death scene was moving and Eomers grief, that still makes me weepy. I also liked the charge of the Rohirrim, that still gives me goosewobbles, parts of it were so good it seems criminal they didnt go the whole hog.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri May 04, 2012 2:12 pm

There is a place for spectacle in a LotR's film- Tolkien gives plenty without the need for Pj to add layers more- the Charge is a good example of that (and it is undeniably superbly shot), but as always with PJ he seems to have no idea of the difference between the spectacle supporting the narrative and it overwhelming it.

"they should have cut out chunks of the TT to fit all that in, I would
have cut all the escaping kids, Aragorn falling over a cliff rubbish to
fit in more of the battle in front of Pellenor fields, even though it
meant that TT and ROTK ended and started at different points"- Mrs Figg

You really need to see my edits Mrs Figg as all those things are gone and my verisons ends where the book does for both story lines (and yes you can do it in 3 hours if you cut all the PJ crap out-although my version is not quite to scrict and is about 3hrs 15 I think).

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next