halfwise
Lancebloke
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
Norc
12 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

the mysterious death of Frodo's parents Empty the mysterious death of Frodo's parents

Post by Norc Wed May 30, 2012 6:54 pm

came across this from Torn.

Have you heard the theory that Gollum killed Frodo's parents? Here's why:
- Gollum was one of the Stoor, and they were the water hobbits.
- Drogo and Primula, Frodo's mom and dad, died in a boating accident.
- When Gollum chased after Bilbo to get the Ring back, he knew only two things about him: Shire and Baggins, which also applies to Drogo.
- The books say that when he chased Bilbo, Gollum got to the river and turned back.
- Witnesses to Drogo & Primula's accident say they saw a struggle.

so, what do you think? should we call Sherlock or/and ms Marple?
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

the mysterious death of Frodo's parents Empty Re: the mysterious death of Frodo's parents

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 30, 2012 6:57 pm

To paraphrase the Gaffer "boats are tricky enough without the need for anything else.'

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

the mysterious death of Frodo's parents Empty Re: the mysterious death of Frodo's parents

Post by Mrs Figg Wed May 30, 2012 7:54 pm

I dont think hobbits know how to swim apart from those that live near water, like those that live near the ferry. As I recall Sam nearly drownded, but that was in the film, I cant remember if its in the book.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Wed May 30, 2012 8:08 pm

Interesting theory. Horatio Kane would know.... he knows everything.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 30, 2012 8:10 pm

Yeah only the Brandybucks swim and use boats and are considered bloody queer for doing so.
Smeagol could swim well though and was a Stoor who grew up on the banks of the Anduin.
If I recall however Smeagol, according to Gandalf, never made it as far as the Shire- going on memory here but I seem to recall him saying to Frodo that "I dont think he was daunted by the distance, something else was drawing him away' -meaning the mark left on him by the Ring left him open to 'the summons' Sauron was putting out to all evil things.

Lance- who the heck is Horatio Kane!! Suspect

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed May 30, 2012 8:13 pm

yeah Lance, who he?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed May 30, 2012 8:24 pm

So you take one of the gazillion creatures in middle earth, note that it can swim and is somewhat nasty; look at two other creatures out of the gazillion creatures in middle earth and note that they drowned; and from that infer that the two are connected? Is one supposed to neglect that there are gabillions of other creatures in middle earth that either know how to swim or have drowned?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed May 30, 2012 8:55 pm

Maybe they are implying that Gollum killed Frodos parents for revenge, for Bilbo told him he was a Baggins.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 30, 2012 9:29 pm

But if he got to the Shire, murdered Frodo's parents (and why would he go after just those relatives of Bilbo's? There are lots of Bagginses) why would he not have gone on and killed Bilbo, eaten him and danced around his hobbit hole with the Ring on?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Wed May 30, 2012 9:38 pm

Lancebloke wrote:Interesting theory. Horatio Kane would know.... he knows everything.

That is the GREATEST comment ever! (I need to catch up, I'm stuck at the end of s8. Loved the Horatio/Kyle episode in that season (he doesn't know how to have proper relationships though!!!! Razz)

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Wed May 30, 2012 9:38 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote: ... why would he not have gone on and killed Bilbo, eaten him and danced around his hobbit hole with the Ring on?

After eating a full hobbit one must wait about one hour before dancing!
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 30, 2012 9:40 pm

lol! Good point Elthir!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed May 30, 2012 9:50 pm

Gimli's view on horseback riding is similar to Sam's view on boating. just saying.

I don't know much about what motive Smeagol/Gollum would have to kill Frodo's parents. I mean, the rest could be fitted into it but... as Sherlock Holmes said, don't twist facts to suit theories, twist theories to suit facts (or something like that).

my view on the parents' death have always been that they ended up having a little domestic and tripped the boat and drowned.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 30, 2012 9:52 pm

Im with the hobbit who thought Drogo had ate to much at his wedding and his weight sank the boat. Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Wed May 30, 2012 9:58 pm

or that xD maybe his wife thought he ate too much.. (or too little, they're hobbits right, maybe they take pride in eating a lot)
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu May 31, 2012 3:22 pm

Horatio Kane is the lead CSI from CSI: Miami.

He seems to know everything, like Colombo, but just likes to let everyone catch him up thus creating an actual episode to watch.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 31, 2012 3:41 pm

Loved Columbo, genius performance of a great tv tec. 'oh, just one more thing......' Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 31, 2012 4:04 pm

I HATED Columbo, I find him almost impossible to watch he irritates me so much. I know he is generally liked but I just dont get it. did try. Mad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 31, 2012 4:09 pm

How can you not like this? Hes brilliant! The whole shabby idiot lark, the comic timing, just everything!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu May 31, 2012 4:16 pm

sorry cant stand him. I find him probably the most irritating.. hey I am going to put him on my list of most disliked.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Thu May 31, 2012 7:18 pm

It's still an interesting theory about Gollum being the killer. I hadn't considered it before. It's good to notice these things and to make connections.
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu May 31, 2012 7:21 pm

Recoveryanonymous wrote:It's still an interesting theory about Gollum being the killer. I hadn't considered it before. It's good to notice these things and to make connections.

YES IT IS! that was what i thought too!! it's a pretty interesting theory! Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Thu May 31, 2012 9:15 pm

came across this from Torn. (...) -- The books say that when he chased Bilbo, Gollum got to the river and turned back.

I think we have the wrong river here though, as Drogo drowned in the Brandywine and Gollum stopped his westward journey at Anduin: 'He set out and came back westward, as far as the Great River' (The Shadow of the Past).

And if my math is correct (!) for the year Drogo died The Tale of Years notes: 'About this time Gollum reaches the confines of Mordor and becomes acquainted with Shelob.'

Petty already hit on this, and it seems his memory is strong.

Gollum ultimately followed Bilbo eastward, found his way into Mirkwood, and Gandalf gathered that he had made it to Esgaroth and the streets of Dale -- then he went back Westward as far as Anduin. Gandalf had friends hunting him, and the Wood-elves tracked him: 'Through Mirkwood and back again it [the trail] led them (...) But at the Westward edge of Mirkwood the trail turned away. It wandered off southwards and passed out of the Wood-elves' ken, and was lost.'

'But I am afraid there is no possible doubt: he had made his slow, sneaking way, step by step, mile by mile, south, down at last to the land of Mordor' Gandalf notes that Gollum was open to the summons, and when he was found 'he had already been there long, and was on his way back.' and on his way back Aragorn caught him.

Tolkien appears to have explained where Gollum was, in general, after following Bilbo.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:54 am

A strong bit of buckied memory? Must have just been drifitng by- yup cant even remember what it was now. drunken

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:54 am

Mrs Figg wrote:sorry cant stand him. I find him probably the most irritating.. hey I am going to put him on my list of most disliked.

Did you also hate him in the Princess Bride?

thanks for digging up the clip between Peter Falk and William Shatner, Petty. It's a treat to see two such distinctive actors share a scene.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next