Lancebloke
halfwise
Orwell
Pettytyrant101
Anonymous writer
11 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

My untitled novel. - Page 8 Empty Re: My untitled novel.

Post by halfwise Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:54 pm

No, at least not the current version. Right now AI can only mix things around, not create really new things. I don't see it ever creating a novel that anyone wants to read (then again, the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew series were basically written by formula, and kids lapped those up.) I think it will mainly be used for putting handbooks in proper style, etc. It will always need to be guided to produce anything useful.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:19 pm

You could argue the same for humans though.

Colours and sounds were already there and put together in different ways by nature. We took what nature had already done and then just mixed it all up and called it human creativity.

A.I. will become creative and I bet it won't be long before you will read or hear something that you will be surprised to learn is not human created.

I wouldn't say it would destroy human creativity though. Its not like the majority of human creativity now hasn't been done somewhere or isn't influenced by very similar things. It doesn't stop people expressing whatever they want to express through art or other things.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:23 pm

Actually it's a good point that other human creativity doesn't destroy our own, so why should AI?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:27 pm

AI is already being used to write essays, and teachers are worried about the high standard it produces. its the slippery slope. Already a photographer won a prize by creating a picture with AI, he only confessed later.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/nov/12/when-ai-can-make-art-what-does-it-mean-for-creativity-dall-e-midjourney

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2023/jan/14/art-experts-try-to-spot-ai-works-dall-e-stable-diffusion
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:51 pm

People can steal from each other as well. As far as education goes, do you have any idea how much easier it is to cheat these days compared to when many of us were in school? Yet education goes on. You just try to instill the proper values. I emphasize to engineering students how dangerous it is for them to do things without full understanding - it has real consequences! Young people today are much better at using technology to improve their work and productivity, even if it comes at the expense of cheating. We will adjust to the new tools rather than be destroyed by them.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:15 pm

Its much less easy to plagiarise with the 'Turnitin' checker. All undergraduates in the UK have their work checked against online copy and pasting. When I was an undergraduate it must have been a lot easier as everything was paper based, I didn't even have to type my work, it was hand written. That was in 1993. Turnitin can recognize billions of online words so people cant even paraphrase without it red flagging. Once, before I started using Grammarly grammar checker, which seems legit, I used one of those free online spelling/grammar checkers because microsoft Word editor is crap, and the bastard sold my work to an essay mill. I only found it by chance and told the parent company, who turned out to be Amazon, to bloody well delete it pronto. I had to tell my supervisors and it was very embarrassing to be so naive.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:21 pm

We had turnitin, I think our school recently got rid of it due to other technical issues, possibly expense. But I can usually recognize stuff that may be plagiarized, then I just google it in quotes and it will pop up. To me a worse form is these subscription sites where they can post a problem, and then somebody posts the solution. That's hard because it's behind a paywall, so all you can search for is whether the problem has been posted. But then you have several knucklehead students all post the same solution. You may think math is either right or wrong, but it's a language with style and individual idiosyncracies, and you can spot it just like plagiarized language.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8