Ally
Squach
Old Forum
20 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Geography  - Page 3 Empty Re: Geography

Post by Squach Wed May 25, 2011 7:33 pm

I have had three cats in my close family, but at different times.

1. When I was little, a ginger cat
2. My grandma had another ginger cat called Tinker
3. Last year we had a tabby cat called Timothy!

cat Meow

I like poking things with sticks. Get over it.
Bouncy bouncy  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bouncy bouncy Smile
Your mum.
Squach
Squach
Princess Of All Things Fashionable

Location : Brit-rain. Yorkshire, yo. On the sofa poking Kafria.

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Wed May 25, 2011 7:37 pm

P.S, Saradoc? I thought you liked talking about rain on the Geography thingy!

I like poking things with sticks. Get over it.
Bouncy bouncy  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bouncy bouncy Smile
Your mum.
Squach
Squach
Princess Of All Things Fashionable

Location : Brit-rain. Yorkshire, yo. On the sofa poking Kafria.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed May 25, 2011 7:48 pm

3 cats. All named after DS9 charcaters for extra geekiness. 2 females Keira and Dax, and one male Sisko, (I find cats react quicker as kittens to names with 's' and 'k' sounds). Keira i rescued after she was abandoned by a neighbour- she was locked for a week in a bedsit with a dog when she was so small she could fit in the palm of my hand. No idea ho sshe survived, she spent the first night I had her in a terrible state with liquid flowing often from both ends. But somehow she recovered. She had a litter and I kept Dax (she's a quirky cat-can use door handles!) and Dax had a litter and I kept Sisko. As he is a male thats the end of the line!
I've always said you don't keep a cat as a pet like you do a dog, its more like flat-sharing, they just happen to be cat-shaped.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Wed May 25, 2011 11:47 pm

All 3 of my cats were strays, and we let them out still. there's snowthunder, bob (a girl mind you!) and Jack. Snowthunder and Bob are brother and sister, snowthunder was brought to us by his mother when he was a kitten, and bob about 7 months or so later. Jack forced himself on us, because he wouldn't leave. Jack isn't very smart. He has horrible balance, he always has his chest fur stuck in his mouth, one pupil is larger than the other, his tail has a crook in the top, and he sneezes constantly.

Geography  - Page 3 Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu May 26, 2011 4:27 am

We currently have two cats, both from a shelter. One is about 11 years old, black and white, named Pinky by my brother (who was about four at the time) because he was reading a book about pirates with two characters named Pinky and Stinky (the cat is lucky that he didn't end up called Stinky Razz) and the cat has a black splotch on his face that looks sort of like an eyepatch. The other is about seven years old, orange tabby, named Fred by me after the character from Harry Potter because of the color of his fur and because he's always getting into trouble. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 28, 2011 2:02 am

Geography?! drunken A think a' must be lost?! scratch Any buckie here? Or that devious, two-faced lass? Naw? Gud. drunken drunken

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Saradoc Tue May 31, 2011 12:34 pm

I had a cat, and I also named him after a Harry Potter character- mundungus was his name! Gosh, the final Harry Potter film is out soon; how exciting (and sad) it indeed is! Very Happy

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.

Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Saradoc
Saradoc
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue May 31, 2011 3:12 pm

I know, I'm mourning the impending official end of my childhood. Sad But I'm also looking forward to seeing the movie since I liked DH1. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:32 pm

Saradoc wrote:Does anyone here actually own a cat? Now, I know Ally does (called Aleksandra, which I'm guessing is a Polish name) as I found out on another (albeit, not as good) website. Personally I despise all cat behaviour. Especially burgers. Or is that burglars? Hmmmm....

Razz

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:36 pm

Eldorion wrote:I know, I'm mourning the impending official end of my childhood. Sad But I'm also looking forward to seeing the movie since I liked DH1. Very Happy

The films have got so great! Though I like all the films, I don't over think and analyse the films- like an adult, I'm still a child! A child who likes watching films like The Hangover 2! And the first trailer for part 2 looks great (though I'm not sure what to think of Harry jumping off a tower saying "let's finish this like we start it...together..." where does that happen in the book?? Gosh, I really need to read the books again! Harry Potter was/has been a great longer love of mine than Lord of the Rings! It'd be fair to say that it inspired me to read, if I hadn't read them I'd be out drinking on the corner of a street... probably.

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:50 pm

I'm also thrilled as I'm going to the première in London-never been to one, gotta to go to at least one! Very Happy

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:51 pm

Cats? Harry Potter? On the Geography Thread! What will Elthir think? Shocked (I guess London counts...????)

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:41 am

odo banks wrote:What will Elthir think? Shocked

Is he (or she?) too respectable for this sort of thread? Oh dear ... I think Odo might have found his one true love. Embarassed
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:38 pm

Harry Potter is a keen geographer (it's common knowledge odo- ever heard of the The Marauder's Map??) who associates with Hermione Granger (a famous witch who famously has a cat called Crookshanks), do you see now how it's all linked? Very Happy Now go and start courting with Elthir! Very Happy

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:24 am

Harry jumping off a tower saying "let's finish this like we start it...together..."

This made me cringe Mad

Geography  - Page 3 Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:00 am

Ringdrotten wrote:Harry jumping off a tower saying "let's finish this like we start it...together..."

This made me cringe Mad

Heh, me too, though the army of statues made me cringe more. Razz

The last Harry Potter movie was the first one that I can remember enjoying unreservedly when I walked out of the theatre (although I was so young when I saw the first two that I don't remember seeing them in theatres, though I know I did). I hope that the second film can maintain that level of quality. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:47 am

I watched the first one five times in the theatres, couldn't get enough Very Happy The last one was fantastic too, so I hope they don't mess the next one up with silly scenes like that.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:49 pm

harry potter on the geography thread... what will people think...

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:24 pm

Note the dead easy rules

1. Don't break the law.

2. Don't be a douche.

3. Don't judge a thread by its title.

4. Don't take anything too seriously.

We only try our best to follow the rules Wink

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:33 pm

Oh well, l guess it gives Odo something to fulminate against. Very Happy (Fulminate? I wonder if that's even a word? Suspect )

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:54 pm

If it is it sounds like a rude one to me! Shocked

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:49 pm

Orwell wrote:harry potter on the geography thread... what will people think...

That we're all experts in the geography of Harry Potter? Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:35 pm

Back to Beleriand...

Eldorion wrote: Iluvatar had nothing to do with it, but all of Beleriand except for the area of Ossiriand (called Lindon in the Third Age) was destroyed in the War of Wrath. The Blue Mountains to the east of Beleriand are the same Blue Mountains to the west of Eriador.

I find what remained of Beleriand a somewhat confused and interesting topic. In the Silmarillion of the mid to late 1930s (enough of which was taken up into the 1977 Silmarillion by CJRT) what remained of the destruction of Beleriand arguably included the isle of... England! But I think as the writing of The Lord of the Rings went on into the 1940s, Tolkien dropped this, and mused about not only Lindon surviving, but the island of Himring (Maedros), a relatively large island called Tol Fuin (Dorthonion), and ultimately Tol Morwen.

It's interesting to have had Himring survive, a Feanorean outpost, but I'm not sure Tolkien didn't change his mind once again. Himring and Tol Fuin appeared on an old map drawn by JRRT, but when it came time to publish The Fellowship of the Ring these islands were not included in the first edition maps. This seems to have been a mistake (by someone), at least at the time anyway, though it could be noted that Treebeard implies Dorthonion should be one of the lands lost under the waves.

If leaving out Tol Fuin and Himring was a mistake, Tolkien himself didn't correct it later, given the chance. The second edition received corrections or changes to the text of course -- I can't recall if the maps were considered at this point -- but perhaps notably, Tolkien did add previously unpublished details for the publication of the map illustrated by Pauline Baynes, but didn't even add Himring, which was not far off the coast really.

As for Tol Morwen, it's at least noted in a late enough text, and possibly (really only a guess) Tolkien abandoned Tol Fuin and *Tol Himring (name appears as Himling on the old map, that being the older name of the hill) to make Tol Morwen more singular. Anyway, I think *Tol Ingolonde (England) 'survived' beyond The Book of Lost Tales, and possibly as late as just before Tolkien began his sequel to The Hobbit.

Smile
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:49 pm

Did Tol Ingolonde have a Tol Scotolonde attached? Very Happy

I've often been confused by exactly what got destroyed and what sank and what survived, and for a long time I had gotten the mistaken impression from Treebeard that it was into these doomed lands the Entwives had roamed, explaining their disappearance (somewhat). Are there any simple clear maps that show the original coast line compared to the coast line afterwards?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Elthir Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:13 pm

Hmm, from Christopher Tolkien we have the Silmarillion map (based on his father's) to compare to the map of the Third Age, using the Blue Mountains and Hill of Himring (Himling the island has now been added to some editions of The Lord of the Rings, or found in Unfinished Tales as well) as guides to imaginatively put the two maps together.

Scale becomes an issue; if I recall correctly Christopher Tolkien's Silmarillion map does not include a scale of miles (nor all of the north). Although KW Fonstad isn't named Tolkien (obviously) she provides a scale of miles for Beleriand which could be considered along with her map of Eriador.

Generally speaking I don't trust maps found on the web, and although I would recommend KWF's Atlas, even she cautions the reader a bit in her introduction -- I can't say I agree with every choice she made, but again, generally I would recommend her work.
Elthir
Elthir
Sharrasi's prentice

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum