Has Anyone Heard Of This Publisher?

+4
Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant101
Eldorion
The Wobbit A Parody
8 posters

Go down

Has Anyone Heard Of This Publisher? Empty Has Anyone Heard Of This Publisher?

Post by The Wobbit A Parody Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:16 am

I got an email today from "one of the major fantasy and sf publishers in Germany." They want to know if the German rights to The Wobbit are available.

The email is from someone at Piper Fantasy, part of Piper Verlag. I looked at their website, which is entirely in German, so I'm not sure if they actually publish books. If they just provide a service for people that want to self-publish books either in paper or as eBooks (these are usually the publishers I hear from) I already have that covered.

While I would certainly like to become the David Hasselhoff of fantasy writing, I don't want to get too excited about another self-publishing offer. I'm delighted that Piper Fantasy contacted me, but I'm becoming more and more suspicious of publishers that claim to be interested in my book. As Groucho Marx said, "I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." Except, of course, for ForumShire. (No offense.)

Has anyone heard of this publisher, or does anyone know enough German to tell me if the site belongs to a traditional publishing house? Here is their link: http://www.piper-fantasy.de/

Thanks!

-Paul
The Wobbit A Parody
The Wobbit A Parody
Ringwinner

http://thewobbitaparody.com

Back to top Go down

Has Anyone Heard Of This Publisher? Empty Re: Has Anyone Heard Of This Publisher?

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:52 pm

Sorry, I haven't heard of them. Their tagline "Gain fame and wealth" does not exactly inspire confidence in their seriousness. On the other hand, Piper Verlag looks a bit more legit and at least one of its novels has apparently been picked up for English publication by Penguin. But this is just what I've gleaned from 10 minutes of Googling. I'd ask someone involved in the German-language publishing industry.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Has Anyone Heard Of This Publisher? Empty Re: Has Anyone Heard Of This Publisher?

Post by The Wobbit A Parody Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:29 pm

Eldo-

Thanks for checking out Piper! As it turns out, they are the real deal. I just sent them a copy of The Wobbit. In fact, as I was researching them, a UK publisher also requested a copy! This is a very exciting time.

By the way, the thread with review and discussion of Jackson's first trailer is REALLY interesting! It is great fun to look forward to something. I, too, mourn all the changes (fewer songs, more action, new jokes) but I still enjoy seeing The Hobbit visualized in such great detail.

Thanks again!

-Paul
The Wobbit A Parody
The Wobbit A Parody
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:30 pm

Great to hear you are getting noticed Wobbit! cheers Best of luck.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:50 pm

It's awesome to hear that! Congratulations, Paul; I hope the foreign markets work out for you! cheers

I had a great time waiting for the trailer to come out and then making screenshots and comments on it all night long. Laughing That was a fun time. I was thinking just the other day how remarkable it is that after about three years on this forum we are finally in the home stretch for The Hobbit. It will be released this calendar year, in almost exactly 11 months. I'm pretty stoked, even if I expect to be disappointed by some of the changes. I'm especially looking forward to Martin Freeman' Bilbo. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:36 pm

Congratulations, Paul Very Happy I am not very surprised, though - it was only a matter of time, the Wobbit is a fantastic book Smile Good luck!

(How are you doing with the LotR parody?)

Has Anyone Heard Of This Publisher? Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:31 pm

Sounds very promising, Paul. Congrats! Mind, don't forget to put in a good word in for The Hobwit. Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Has Anyone Heard Of This Publisher? Empty Good news from Munich

Post by The Wobbit A Parody Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:01 am

The Germans made me an offer! Not a quit-my-job one, but an offer all the same. Maybe I can quit my job after the NEXT book. I found an Intellectual Property lawyer, and as soon as we go over the contract, I'll be in business. I hope the London publisher makes an offer for the English-Language rights. Soon.

Orwell- Of course, I will continue to promote your book!

Ringdrotten- Sometimes I'm not able to post my LOTR excerpts here, like if my kids suddenly are home from school. Even though I only work on the LOTR parody sporadically, it's all on my blog: http://thewobbitaparody.blogspot.com/

Eldo- It sounds like we both are cautiously optimistic about the Hobbit movie.

PT and everyone- Thanks for the well wishing!
The Wobbit A Parody
The Wobbit A Parody
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:37 am

Ooh, I missed that there was work done on an LotR parody.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:56 pm

Wow, so his last post was before the Hobbit came out. He used to be here quite often in the olden days, before the catastrophe.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:33 pm

I can easily see Leslie Nielson in the role of Gandalf Smile I see him in white pulling those iconic faces he pulled when things were going wrong Smile He would have been perfect if he had lived longer.

Has Anyone Heard Of This Publisher? Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Has Anyone Heard Of This Publisher? Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum