Ringdrotten
Pettytyrant
Eldorion
Gandalf's Beard
Kafria
21 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:27 pm

A friend sent me this. Says it all really.

[img]The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread - Page 40 DjOnM[/img]

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread - Page 40 Empty Re: The Bigger, Badder, Even More Serious Thread

Post by odo banks Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:08 pm

Oh Mr Tyrant, you should be more thoughtful and alert about these things.

Your second miscreant obviously was doing something under his clothing of a highly Disrespectable nature, thus offending the teller's sensibilities. Another possibility: He may have caused the teller great terror because no one in a bank responds well to the fear generated by someone having a gun concealed inside their clothing. - Americans and their guns! What a jolly Nation! Laughing - Oh dear, how easily people in banks (in America especially) get tricked by hands made to look like guns under their clothing! For all that, fifteen years (for a First Offence?) seems a relatively big sentence - but, Hark! Perhaps armed robbers should perhaps get big sentences, don't you think? I wonder how many years the teller will be in Counselling - or if his or her children can ever sleep at night again? Victims - so pathetic! They should just smile and get on with it, don't you think? Mmm?)

As to your first Gentleman, he was no doubt a highly Respectable Member of Society. Oh Petty, you are such a Lefty! Rolling Eyes

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:30 pm

I agree the poor bank teller was probably terrified and may well have suffered stress, nightmares etc as a result- ideally they should be compensated for this and given psychiatric help. And the sentence given should reflect that element- but 15 years- he must have been f*****g terrfying. Shocked

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:44 pm

I wonder what the teller thinks? And was it a First Offence?

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:49 pm

If it was me I imagine I would initailly have been terrified and severely under duress and stress, then when he handed back 2/3 of the money and explained he was homeless and hungry I would hope my fear would be tempered with empathy and sympathy, and a disgust that in so called civilised societies we care so little about some people we allow them to exist in such a fashion, living with nothing amongst plenty.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:17 am

Yes, fifteen years of shelter, three meals a day, plenty of TV... and gym exercise.... Hey, I think they gave him that sentence as an act of purest charity... God Bless America. Sad

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:40 pm

The fact that he handed himself in suggests that he might have wanted to get convicted and sent to jail.

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:55 pm

But of course maybe he simply he had a really strong moral code.

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:24 pm

I watched Theroux program where he went and stayed in a US prison- don't think anyone would want to delibrately go there....in fact, definently not.

Highly recommend it- good doc.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:01 pm

Perhaps we'd save money by allowing Natural Law to run things. There's a few people I'd like to deal with - my way...

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:33 pm

The EU has propsed a bank levy of 0.001% of all bank transactions when one partner is based in Europe. They say this is to ensure the banking sector contribute their fair share and that it is needed to stablise the Euro.
However as London is the largest financial centre in Europe it would be contributing 80% of the total raised. And the UK is not in the eurozone, we declined to join and kept our own currency.
So whilst I agree on levving the banks who are quite frankly taking the piss at the moment it does not seem fair to raise most of it from a country that is not a part of the failing currency the measure is meant to help.
Any opinions?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:12 pm

London has been a great big vacuum cleaner of other countrys' goods and chattels and raw materials for hundreds of years. You know, the Rule Brittania days. It's about time Gloriana with all it's rich little Welshobbits, Scotshobbits and Anglehobbits started paying something back, Petty. Very Happy

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:33 pm

And how are we meant to stay rich if we go around giving stuff back? Finders keepers- even if the finding involved setting up the worlds biggest Emipre and, em, acquiring wealth from other people by force.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:33 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I watched Theroux program where he went and stayed in a US prison- don't think anyone would want to delibrately go there....in fact, definently not.

There are periodic stories about people deliberately committing crimes (usually bank robbery, actually) because they want to go to prison for health care or until they qualify for social security, but I don't think this man seems like that. And for a measly $100 I can't imagine that he or any other reasonable person would have expected to be sentenced to 15 years if he turned himself in.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:34 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:And how are we meant to stay rich if we go around giving stuff back? Finders keepers- even if the finding involved setting up the worlds biggest Emipre and, em, acquiring wealth from other people by force.

My goodnes, you're RIGHT, Petty! Shocked I do apologise. Embarassed

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:36 pm

[quote="Eldorion"]
Pettytyrant101 wrote:There are periodic stories about people deliberately committing crimes (usually bank robbery, actually) because they want to go to prison for health care or until they qualify for social security, but I don't think this man seems like that. And for a measly $100 I can't imagine that he or any other reasonable person would have expected to be sentenced to 15 years if he turned himself in.

I don't know about this story. I feel there is more to it.

-------

Discussion continues here: http://www.hobbitmovieforum.com/t310-the-bigger-badder-even-more-serious-thread-2

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40