Orwell
Squach
Pettytyrant101
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Remembrance Empty Remembrance

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:37 pm

Just my own small tribute to Remembrance Day and a place for anyone who wants to put their thoughts or remember a family member who served.

This is for my grandfather (WW2) and with good wishes to my cousin who is currently serving in Afghanistan.

[img]Remembrance Remembrance[/img]

"They shall not grow old as we that are left shall grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them."

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Remembrance Empty Re: Remembrance

Post by Squach Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:48 pm

A poem we had in our assembely today.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

I like poking things with sticks. Get over it.
Bouncy bouncy  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bouncy bouncy Smile
Your mum.
Squach
Squach
Princess Of All Things Fashionable

Location : Brit-rain. Yorkshire, yo. On the sofa poking Kafria.

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:25 pm

My Dad joined up as a 17 year old. Was a stretcher bearer in Balikpapan and Lae (Papua New Guineaa) and then fought in Borneo. He was never a Crusader, mind. I'd personally punch out anyone who suggested he was.

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:30 pm

Good poem Squach.

No crusades here Orwell, nor questions over wether any particular war was right or just, politicans make those decisions not those caught up in it to carry out their duties. And whilst Remembrance Day is historically about remembering those who served their country, more and more it is also becoming about all those whose lives were claimed by wars on all sides and the innocents inbetween. That's who I choose to remember during the silence and to reflect on the fact we are still doing the same today, adding more names to the lists and rolls of the dead. Sad

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:40 pm

That's why a protest would be unacceptable, even by disenchanted Muslims or Irish. Perhaps I should go lay a turd in a Mosque or Church or any other place of Worship, because I believe religion has been oppressive and the cause of too many deaths historically. If I was not charged for acting offensively then I guess I could agree with any kind of disgusting behaviour. As I said, "Freedom with Responsibility." People should be able to mourn in peace.

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:11 am

Slight side-comment, but the level of vitriol from the Rangers fans in the description and comments section of the video Petty posted are alternately disturbing and hilarious. Laughing I'm a bit taken aback by the level of bigotry and hatred expressed there since the US media doesn't do a whole lot about Catholic-Protestant tensions anymore. That said, I also find disrupting a memorial to be distasteful and somewhat offensive.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:59 am

Two sides of the same coin Eldo. But don't get the wrong impression. Scotland isn't a catholic/protestant battlefield- just the west coast of it! Particularly Glasgow. My point was more that when a muslim group make a protest against Remembrance Day it makes front page news and gets raised in Parliamnet and requires action from the Home Secretary, when Catholics do it in Scotland it doesn't. Not sure what that says, but I'm pretty sure it says something.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:28 pm

I think I can see your point, though a bit of Googling reveals that the Home Secretary believes this group is just a reorganized version of a previously banned group. It's possible that simple bigotry is the cause of the banning, but I think there's more to it than that.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:51 pm

And the disruptive Celtic suppoters disrupt in the name of the IRA- a terrorist organisation who has killed far more UK civilians than any Muslim affiliated group ever has. So I am not sure that there is so much of a difference even if the anti-remberence group are a previous banned group.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:05 pm

In French our teacher did a whole lesson on rememberance day and we learnt things in French at the same time!

She played a sad song and as we went to next lesson, (history) my friend started crying! The song had set her off and said that her grandad was holding his friends hand when they we little, when a bomb plane flew over the playground. His friend tripped and fell and he couldn't go back for him and he never saw his friend again... Sad

She almost had me crying all the way through History but then I had to go to my Clarinet lesson.

Your mum.
Squach
Squach

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:16 pm

I have to admit that's a good point, Petty. The whole situation is worrying. It's also disappointing since it distracts from the true point of this day -- i.e., Rememberance. Neutral
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:34 pm

Touching story Squach. My Grans brother was killed at a bus stop of all places, he was on leave and went home to Clydebank just in time for the bombing of the shipyards. He was just waiting on a bus.

Eldo- this is why Salmond refers to sectarinism as Scotlands Shame- but its complicated by history, immigration, and politics. Its a tangled and vile web.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Remembrance Empty thank you

Post by leelee Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:54 pm

This day is emotional for me. I especially want to thank the people of Holland and many other countries for those of my people Israel, especially my line from the house of David, Judah from whom the Jews come. Many gave their lives to hide us and were found out and died. There are no words to say that can be big enough to thank them. The brave fishermen that hid my people in the boats and took them across to switzerland when the places were swarming with nazis and their dogs. Thank you.
And to all my German friends who along with their families also helped us to leave Europe for the US and Canada, some even being soldiers themselves but who were convinced this extermination was wrong. Thankyou
And to every soldier under the sun man and woman who gave their lives that we might attend the churches of our choice, that we might walk freely and without fear and trembling, teach our children and let them grow and live well. Thank you.
.Finally I want to thank and pray for the families left behind without son, father, brother, cousin,. mother, sister, they having fallen in a foreign land . Wounded, sick, frightened, homesick. Dying alone and trampled upon in the chaos and horror. These families were ever after bereft of loved ones they counted on and made the lonely journies heart sick and empty for a long time after in their lives. I honor you and pray for you and the generations to come, that you would all know peace and wholeness.
leelee
leelee
Free-est Spirit

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:37 pm

I do not have any stories to share, but a line from a song occured to me while I was reading through these posts:

We're fools to make war on our brothers in arms

From Mark Knopfler's Brothers in Arms. Excellent phrase (and song), if I may say so Smile

Edit: Come to think of it, the line I quoted might lead to misunderstandings. I am not in any way saying that people who fight and sacrifice in wars are fools, I was merely struck by the thought of how meaningless war is, hence quote from the song. Just felt I had to clear that up.

Last edited by Ringdrotten on Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Remembrance Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:50 pm

They'll always be in my thoughts and prayers and every man and women who out their life down for us against that tide of evil. Their sacrifice will never be never forgotten and remembered with total pride and gratitude.

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:08 am

Veterans day.

And also the day Two Towers was published! Triple whamy! 11/11/11 11:11:11:11, Veteran's day, AND an LOTR anniversary! something amazing must be bound to happen!!!!

Remembrance Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:57 am

Tinuviel wrote:Veterans day..... And also the day Two Towers was published! Triple whamy! 11/11/11 11:11:11:11, Veteran's day, AND an LOTR anniversary! something amazing must be bound to happen!!!!

Tin! Rolling Eyes Do you mind? I mean, do you? Rolling Eyes

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:26 am

That's royalty for you. Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:56 am

I guess Rembrance Day is a cause for celebration... of sorts.... I guess... in a way... it's not really... well, in a sense it is... mm... I'm conflicted... and isn't Remebrance Day about trying to remember and so hopefully encourage us to end conflict...????

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:55 pm

Yes, and I see it as a celebration of those who put their lives on the line for their countries and still have them. It's a celebration of life! Long life(s)!

Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:22 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:That's royalty for you. Very Happy

Ahem!! Do you pay any attention to people's ranks these days, Petty?

You see there, right next to this post?
->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->

Mad

Your mum.
Squach
Squach

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:15 pm

Sorry Squach, but Princess? Compared to Queen of Forumshire I'm afraid that makes you minor royalty sponging off the civil list!

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:27 am

And what kind of respect should one extend to a Princess who can't even spell er own name... Squach? Laughing Sorry, Squatch, you are such a funny little rascal... Laughing You no longer make me angry, you make me giggle... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Pseudo-Kafria Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:29 am

Oh she is the apple of my eye and the joy in my heart. Oh how she makes her proud Mummy smile! Very Happy

Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:57 am

My dear Squach! The "nick names" below our avatars are just earned awards. Mine being finest nose, Petty's crabbitmeister, Eldo's Lord of Forumshire, and yours! Royalty is in your blood queen

Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum