Orwell
Pettytyrant101
Pseudo-Kafria
Kafria
Squach
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Pets, pets, glorious pets! - Page 2 Empty Re: Pets, pets, glorious pets!

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:47 pm

I wish they would make a cross species experiment to make a dragon, using maybe half comodo dragon, half African bat, half salamander, half wise. Very Happy

I have 5 cats, Pixie, Lila, Leone, Sirius, and Fattylumpkin (Fats for short). Pixie is a naughty girl and is my favourite as she sleeps next to me and understands me, the others just want feeding on demand and dont give a monkeys. they are all strays I did have 7 cats but two of the males went AWOL. I first saw Pixies little white face peeping at me from under a flower bush, and I kinda fell in love. I love you cat
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:52 pm

Hmm, I count nine cats in your photo there.

Thanks for picking up on my dragon blood. Waaayy better than Tiger blood.

There is a dragon blood beer you can get over here (or is that wandering too far off topic) that's quite tasty and packs a wallop. Brewed in bourbon barrels.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:20 pm

We have two cats who are suppose to be barn cats and fierce rat and mice hunters. It seems they didn't quite understand the job instructions, but they are kind, social and the kids love them. I love them too except I am allergic so I like them to be outside as much as possible.

We used to have a Doberman, poorly trained by his previous owners so he was a bit of a struggle. Gorgeous dog though. Good as gold with kids, they could climb all over him, but a pest to other dogs and cats and sheep, which was a huge pain since we had sheep at the time.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:25 pm

Hmmm.... A Dragon is an interesting idea. But it made me think, "Why stop there ?"

Pets, pets, glorious pets! - Page 2 Gojirazg1

It might at first seem to be a little unfair to the residents of Toyko Harbor. But increased Big Monster-Tourism revenue should more then outweigh the cost of rebuilding the city periodically, don't you think ?

Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:14 pm

Wow. You know, besides wanting to meet Godzilla, this thread got me wondering if it was actually true that men preferred certain pets, women another, etc, and why? But a quick search for facts revealed there is probably a whole bunch of facts & its not something quickly determined authoritarively, like 'Whats the tallest building? There are also evidentally a lot of studies going on, and not just for curiosities sake. Pets is a very big business.

For instance: The first interesting statistic I found was that out of a survey of 463 cat owners, 80% were women. However, when I went to track down/verify this survey supposedly done by the American Pet Products Association, I found it was indeed available, but not free. Noooo, not very free at all. As a non-member, I could get a copy for a mere $2995.00.

OK, but what about men. Question: Are most dog owners men ? I didn't get that far though, cause I stumbled on this:

"THE GIST" (supposedly from the scientific journal 'Interaction Studies', but I didn't want to find out how much it would cost me)

"- Dogs approach men more often than women in a pilot study about human-canine interactions.
- Why the sex of an owner should affect dog approaches is unknown, but it may be related to sex-associated roles observed in wolves.
- Neurotic owners and neurotic dogs appear to be sensitive to each others needs, with such pairs spending more time close together."

The last one hit a nerve. In my first post on this thread I mentioned me & my dog do everything together. The article went on to say:

"Neurotic men with neurotic dogs (described as not confident and "anxious" as well as "less vocal and aggressive") appear to be magnets for each other, with dogs of such owners making a beeline for their human partner and staying close together afterward."

I would definately describe my dog as very sensitive, probably neurotic. I have often heard people say that about small dogs, though I don't know how factually true it is. And honestly I would describe myself that way as well, though much less so since figuring it out and getting medical assistance with it.

Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:42 am

Why you want to mix in Halfwise, Figg? Are you making woolly dragons? Very Happy

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:22 am

I think small dogs get away with being nervous and noisy because they are small and not too intimidating even if they are angry. (I have a feeling Momo the cutie wutie wittle doggie would get away with more that our Zorro the doberman made of 40kg of pure muscles and bones. Wink ) And I think humanity in general let them get away with things because we are feel guilty about turning them from awesome wolves to rodents who live in pink purses or needs to be groomed all day. (The observant reader might gather from this that I'm not a big fan of Chihuahuas, though I mostly have a problem with the way they are treated as accessories and not dogs.)

Cats are awesome, cool, independent and dignified (well, in general), being friends with a cat means you must be awesome, cool and dignified too.

Dogs follow you around and drool on you. Who doesn't want to be adored?

Either way, I think dog owners and cat owners alike just want someone who loves them.

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:29 pm

I read this quote about dogs and cats,"if you give a dog love it will think you are a god, and if you give a cat love it will think it is a god". (and in Ancient Egypt it probably was). Cool
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:44 pm

"You must forgive them all; for though their hearts are faithful, to face fear of Barrow-wights is not what they were made for" (Tom Bombadil speaking of his ponies)

I am not sure it is a matter of small dogs 'getting away' with things, so much as being what they have encouraged by artifical breeding to do. Some dogs have been bred for war, others hunting, some as guards, and so on, like Amarie's Doberman. The smaller breeds include those modifyied to hunt smaller creatures, and companion or comfort dogs. The Chihuahua appears to be in the last named catagory, but its exact origins are still being researched. It does seem to have been developed in Central America, and is already established by the time of the Toltecs and later Aztecs. Some evidence exsists that it originated with or is decended from a dog of the earlier Mayans. However, initial DNA evidence points towards Euro-Asian origin (?). On top of that are the long standing local traditions in Central America that the Chihuahua is actually a crossbreed of dog and fox (!), though no scientific evidence of that exsists yet. The name 'Chihuahua' btw, is also that of a State in modern Mexico.

I think though, if you strip the dog of it's owner's trappings and training, even the smallest & cutest ones are still all dog.

Pets, pets, glorious pets! - Page 2 BLACK_WOLF_

Pets, pets, glorious pets! - Page 2 655px-Killer_Chihuahua

Chihuahua's are noted for displaying aggression, but there may be also some misconceptions. They are for instance not noisy (or 'Yappy'). They do bark, but rarely, and only when a stranger or another animal approaches. Other then that, they are usually silent or make funny little growly noises in playful interactions. The Mayan breed they may decend from was in fact called a Mute breed. They are also noted for bravery, even to foolhardiness, though they are the world's smallest breed. Chihuahua's are born into a world where every dog is the bigger dog. Mine (which is only half Chihuahua and larger at 17 lbs) is surrounded by neighbor dogs 3-4 times her size, but will attempt to protect our property. She will also chase away any other animal including Deer and Bear. My job early on was mainly trying to prevent her from committing suicide. But after losing engagements with the bigger ones, she now uses a new tactic. She advances on them barking and then retreats to me whining and trembling, to be picked up. Once up safely in my arms she resumes fierce aggression (clawing me to pieces in the process). I then become like her larger combat-robot frame and advance on the intruder, with her driving. If I ever get mauled you can be assured, as usual, a woman was behind it. Wink

Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:00 pm

I once knew a Jack Russell who I swear was human, and it understood every word I said, and sometimes gave little sarcastic snorts as if to say "yeah dream on, I aint comin home until I has killed all rabbitses in dat kiddies pettin zoo". Rolling Eyes
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:53 pm

"For instance: The first interesting statistic I found was that out of a survey of 463 cat owners, 80% were women. However, when I went to track down/verify this survey supposedly done by the American Pet Products Association, I found it was indeed available, but not free. Noooo, not very free at all. As a non-member, I could get a copy for a mere $2995.00."

Jeez, they only charge $100 to tell you how to make a woman drool all over you in 3 minutes. (it didn't work).

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Turembar Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:40 pm

halfwise wrote: Jeez, they only charge $100 to tell you how to make a woman drool all over you in 3 minutes. (it didn't work).

Well... ya know, ya get what you pay for. Now, I'm not trying trying to sell you anything, but my company does happen to have a Drool Aquistion Instruction Insurance product. Yes, for as low as $39.99 a month* and under certain conditions** you can get back up to 90%*** of your cost, minus our cost times their cost, for any Drool Aquistion Product that promises either all, or part, or nothing at all.
Turembar
Turembar
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:23 am

This is what buckie was invented for, cheap, effective and drooling is encouraged.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:12 am

I have a Jack Russell who I swear is smarter than even me! Nod Unbelieveable huh! Very Happy

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:50 pm

Did you guys know i got a tortoise? His name is Åge (pronounced Å as ine Awesome and ge as in get) he has his own instagram-account aage_the_tortoise Smile
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:02 pm

Tortoise on instagram, huh?  How long to you have to watch it between posts?  Does he have mirror shots of his backside?

Did you get together with him because of his instagram account or did that come later?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:35 pm

Awww!! Åge is such a pretty fella! I love you

-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:33 pm

Halfwise you tease.

I looked through some posts. My favourite is watching him get back on his feet from his back. Laughing

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:59 pm

I take it that "skilpadder" is for an turtle shaped object, and "landskilpadder" is for tortoise? It's kind of a cute language.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:06 pm

halfwise wrote:I take it that "skilpadder" is for an turtle shaped object, and "landskilpadder" is for tortoise?  It's kind of a cute language.

absolutely correct. also.. skilpadde is roughly translated "toad with shell" which is also kinda cute.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:43 am

That IS cute.  Hmmm....I wonder if "tortoise" and "toad" are etymologically related.  It's very possible, English being the harlotish packrat language that it is.

ps: I nominate "toadstool" for the correspondingly cute english word.

pps: is "skillet" derived from the same source as "skilpadde"?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:54 pm

halfwise wrote:

pps: is "skillet" derived from the same source as "skilpadde"?

depends what you mean by skillet, but if you mean "å skille" as in to part/divide/separate something yes maybe..... because skil in skilpadde i think is related to the word skjold, shield in english, and a shield is a sort of divider.. skilpadde is a shielded toad.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:26 pm

skilpadde is a shielded toad.- Norc

{{I'm guessing those Fjordian ancestors were a bit to busy with thee whole pillage, plunder and the other thing to take too close an interest in the wildlife!
Mind you fun tortoise fact- tortoises were thought to come from the Underworld, and were therefore sorted amongst infernal beasts to be feared! Shocked Now I have a Pyhtonesque scene in my head of a bunch of armoured knights running away in a panick at the sight of a tortoise emerging from the lettuce patch! Very Happy }}}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:27 pm

Shield-toad. I love it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:48 pm

Just saw Aage Smile He's lovely ! Lovely pattern on his shell. Im fond of these tiny armoured jeeps. I wanted one as a child but, got a hamster instead.

My little puss "Wednesday" passed away just before Christmas. She was 16 years old & deteriorated very quickly so I rushed her to the Vets. They found she had stomach cancer & I had to let her go. I cuddled her tiny head in my hand & spoke of how wonderful Spring will be & she was gone. For such a tiny cat she has left a huge hole in my life. Ive other cats but, "weds" was special.

Pets, pets, glorious pets! - Page 2 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Pets, pets, glorious pets! - Page 2 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum