Lancebloke
Forest Shepherd
Mrs Figg
halfwise
chris63
9 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 3 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:26 pm

Went to the theater for the first time in over year to The Suicide Squad. There were about 5 others in the place. I didn't think the original version of SS was terrible, it just couldn't live up to the quality of the trailer. This version did not feel as much need to develop the concept, so I felt that the first 20 minutes fell flat via the lack of character development, even though all the characters except Harley Quinn were new. We didn't get the first real Harley moment until about halfway through, and it was a good one. More followed.

Except for the poor ending of the first version I didn't think it was too bad, especially since it was an introduction to how Margot Robbie can own any scene you put her in. This second go round had an especially silly ending, and the rest was merely okay.

Actually I think Viola Davis would make a good Doctor Who. You believe anything she does, and it's hard to take your eyes off her even when she's playing a 1-D character. In Suicide Squad she's the only one besides Margot Robbie who reprised a role, because she made herself irreplaceable as the smoldering, hard bitten mission control officer. She could bring some of that plus a few quirks and nobody would dare mess with her.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Seen any good films lately? [3] - Page 3 Empty Re: Seen any good films lately? [3]

Post by chris63 Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:25 am

Watched 28 day's later and 28 weeks later. First film was marginally better but still only average.

Suicide Squad. Silly but fun.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:15 pm

THE Suicide Squad, is delightful, I thought. If it had ended a half hour earlier then it would be my favourite super-hero movie in years.

The main difference between this and its similarly-titled predecessor is tone and pacing. This film is fun, light-hearted and inventive. The other movie is dramatic and edgy. This one jumps right into the action with a hilariously-bungled diversionary beach landing. Only after everything goes tits up with this first group do we get introduced to our actual cast.

I remember the other Suicide Squad being visually dark, with grim characters and the bloody 30 Seconds to Mars Joker pulling faces at the camera while things explode in the background. It too was over-long but in a predictable way, drawn out with bad CGI-monster fight-scenes. This one has a lighter-plot, an over-the-top end-boss, and villains that take themselves far less seriously. (The edgiest thing that any villain does is to throw gasoline on his predecessor's aviary and light it on fire).
It has a refreshing willingness to dispose of characters when typical movies would require character such-and-such in Scenes A, B, C in service of the plot. Actions have consequences!

The strongest point of the film though is the cast. The mutants, supervillains, whatever they are, are certainly goofy concepts some of them, but they are presented to us with sincerity and genuine affection. The main cast get character arcs and are actually likeable, unlike the edge-lords from the other Suicide Squad.

It's irreverent, creative, and fun. Would recommend.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:22 pm

True, the only fun parts of the first version was Margot Robbie's take on her character. She gets some good shots in this one. There were also a couple of "rescues" which ended in triumphant misfires. It was more fun.

I think I always suffer from sequel taint. I miss things being freshly discovered.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:55 pm

Re-watched Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet. I had forgotten what good actresses they are. Hugh Grant and Alan Rickman were excellent too.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:04 am

Oh my gosh, love that movie. Alan Rickman in particular I appreciate. Hugh Grant's lack of sterner manly qualities has, over time, disenchanted me somewhat of his character. But even so, his charm is not lost, as they say, upon me.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:12 am

Somehow I can't imagine Alan Rickman in a Jane Austen role.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:07 pm

I kind of agree, he doesn't have 19th century mannerisms, but he did everything so well that I didn't notice. I realised Kate Winslet was excellent in the scene where Emma Thompson berates her for a supposed lack of sensibility, and Kate dissolves in tears. Lovely acting. I think Hugh was perfect casting, his lack of 'manly sternness' was essential as he was a softy who had been easily bamboozled by a tricksy female on the make.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:44 pm

I shall have to rent it.

btw, on rewatching parts of Emma I like it more. I just wasn't in the mood the first time around.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:49 pm

I saw Disneys Jungle Cruise this week. While the movie was pretty rubbish, it actually confirmed a recent thought that Emily Blunt is actually a very versatile actress.

I have probably seen her in 6 or 7 different films where she plays very different characters in all of them.
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:56 pm

Though I didn't have any issues with her in Mary Poppins returns, she's no Julie Andrews. Yet nonetheless thoroughly competent.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancebloke Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:11 pm

I thought she was good in A Quiet Place and did a good job in Oblivion with Tom Cruise. Few other things I have seen her in too. And no, no Julie Andrews but was anyone ever gonna fill those shoes?
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:30 pm

And no, no Julie Andrews but was anyone ever gonna fill those shoes?

Nope. It was a mistake to try. Same can be said for Dick Van Dyke (despite the accent).

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:34 pm

I find her a bit B series, but ok. The only thing I have liked her in is DW Prada and The Girl on the Train. I really like Oblivion, but she is no action movie heroine, she looked ridiculous. Blunt was far too prissy for Oblivion. Much better someone pumped and sweaty like Michelle Gomez. Mind you, she is the same pumped and sweaty squaddie with dangling Dog Tags in every film she does.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:01 pm

Are you sure you don't mean michelle rodriguez?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:50 am

rofl, yeah probably not Gomez, a.k.a. "Missy".

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Embarassed yeah something Spanish. might be Banderos.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:15 pm

{{ Trailer for Daniels Craigs final Bond film, certainly not short on Bond action it seems. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:45 pm

Though I like Daniel Craig's Bond what I don't like is how the story has been personalized around him: all the bad guys have some deep vendetta for him.

Not how it's supposed to be - Bond should be detached from the world he enters; he blows things up simply because that's what the job calls for. Not because somebody slept with his mother and has held a deep resentment for little James for 4 decades because he always had her true affection, or whatever the hell they come up with. Bond should stay cool and dispassionate. Sure, he'll try to rescue his latest girl, but after that he's moving on to the next one. Over and done. Villains no different.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:59 pm

yep I agree. Connery's Bond was like that, that's why I think he is the true Bond. Taking things personally is too banal. Bond was above all that nonsense. The original Blofeld (Donald Pleasence) hated him because Bond stopped him doing Bond villain things not because Bond's Auntie Molly once sat on his white pussy.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:32 pm

I was trying to come up with a personal hatred scenario that was appropriately silly, and failed. Yours nailed it. Laughing

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:06 pm

cat
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:37 pm

Watched an old Hollywood movie called Ivanhoe with Robert Taylor and Elisabeth Taylor. How was it humanly possible for anyone to be as beautiful as she was. Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:01 pm

One can do wonders with a soft lens.

I've never been excited by Elizabeth Taylor's looks.  Too much a porcelain doll for my tastes.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:59 pm

Watched the Green Knight.

Slower then a wet weekend. Not very good.
Trailer looked really good.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next