Forest Shepherd
Eldy
Pettytyrant101
chris63
halfwise
10 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

LotR Prequel: Helm Hammerhand and the Battles of Rohan - Page 3 Empty Re: LotR Prequel: Helm Hammerhand and the Battles of Rohan

Post by Lancebloke Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:23 pm

Is this the thread to talk about the "many more LotR" films that are supposed to be coming or is there another?
Lancebloke
Lancebloke
Tamer and master of Large Metallic Fell Beasts

http://www.lancebloke.com

Back to top Go down

LotR Prequel: Helm Hammerhand and the Battles of Rohan - Page 3 Empty Re: LotR Prequel: Helm Hammerhand and the Battles of Rohan

Post by halfwise Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:44 pm

There isn't another. I parked my post here because WB is also doing Helm Hammerhand, so they are sorta tied up together.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:09 am

There was a bit of a spazz-out elsewhere when the announcement was made. But this was really just a re-upping of the contracts. Nothing to write home about.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:35 am

Any clips anywhere for this movie yet? Seems to have gone very quiet.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:55 am

It comes out in one year's time, tomorrow, so that leaves some time for clips and trailers to be released.

I gotta say though, I'm not excited for it at all. Helm's daughter being elevated from a potential bride for the character of Wulf to someone who "helps defend her people" is one thing, but I also dislike the casting of Brian Cox as Helm. He's not a good guy, in his roles, he doesn't fit that type. So to have a man who usually plays villains as the titular lead is probably going to taint my enjoyment of the rest of it.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:53 pm

I'm not sure I'd describe Helm Hammerhand as a good guy. He's pretty dark; killed the leader of the Dunlanders with his fist for daring to suggest that he offer up his daughter for marriage, stalked the camps at night killing people, etc.

Brian Cox is a Shakespearean actor first of all. Known for playing King Lear, etc. I think the role suits him.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:01 pm

turns out Phillipa Boyens is THE guiding hand of the upcoming War of the Rohirrim. I'll say no more.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:41 pm

{{ Well as I dont have a ton of faith in Boyens ability to write in Tolkiens style I'll keep my crabbit at the ready for this. A lot will depend on how they use their invented lead Hera, yes technically she exists in Tolkien as 'daughter' but thats about all we get, so how they show her, as a woman of her time and Tolkiens world, or more likely and unfortunately as a woman of our time and our world uncomfortably showhorned into Tolkiens world.
There is a tiny bit of hope in them saying they looked to Æthelflæd, the Anglo-Saxon Lady who ruled over what was Mercia. She played a crucial role in the overthrow of the Danelaw and in her later years when ill health prevented her taking a more active role she effectively administred and ran the new kingdom. Thing about her was, the thing she is especially noted for, is just what an exception to the norms of the time she was. One shouldnt get the impression she was in any way typical of Anglo-Saxon women, even important ones, she wasnt, she was like Boudica, or Elizabeth I, unique in her time. }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:03 pm

https://variety.com/2023/film/global/embracer-group-paid-395-million-for-lord-of-the-rings-rights-1235650495/

Something of a bargain, considering Disney paid $4 billion for Star Wars etc...

I'm guessing there's various other projects already deep in pre-production, I've deliberately avoided any news about the Helm Hammerhead film, but it sounds like it could be visually interesting at least...

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:08 pm

I'm not really sure if I consider this an adaptation of Tolkien's work, rather than fan fiction that happens to share a few names, it's been some years since I really delved into the appendices but IIRC much of the lore/history of Rohan is in Unfinished Tales (which they don't have the rights to)? the 'source material' is probably even thinner than for ROP so I'm just going to treat it as its own thing, glad to see a different visual take on Middle-earth at least.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:52 am

https://www-comingsoon-net.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1326499-lord-of-the-rings-the-war-of-the-rohirrim-release-date?amp=&amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQIUAKwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16929318232260&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.comingsoon.net%2Fmovies%2Fnews%2F1326499-lord-of-the-rings-the-war-of-the-rohirrim-release-date

Release date delayed till December 2024.

That's not good 😞

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:15 pm

I'm guessing they did some test screenings, got a bad reaction and are doing a major revamp.  Throwing in a final act Oliphaunt chase or something.  The love story between  a Dunlander and an Orc needs rewriting to feel more uplifting.  To heighten audience connection they've shoe-horned in a few Legolas scenes.  Useful chaps, elves.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:27 am

Haven't listened to it yet. Hopefully has something worth hearing.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:12 pm

{{ I must apologise Chris, I was looking for this thread last night to post that vid in, but for some reason, not at all related to alcohol drunken , I was unable to locate it and ended up bunging it in the Tolkien related vids one instead. Perhaps Amarie can sort it out, after all what's an Admin for if it's not chasing after the local drunkard fixing all the bits they've accidentally and carelessly broken in their rambling wanderings? drunken }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:57 am

Thank goodness for Armarie. Don't worry Petty. It gets worse the older you get.
Have listened to it now and it does show promise.
Then again I thought that about the Rings of Power. If I like something I usually watch it more then once. Only watched R of P once.

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:01 pm

R of P was sheer torture. If we didn't know it was supposed to be based on something Tolkien wrote it might be pleasant enough but a bit dumb and forgettable. But watching it was like a French person trying to eat a croissant sold by an American convenience store. Knowledge of what it should be is dismal.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:38 am

Got about halfway through before ready for bed. You'll want to skip the first 15 minutes which is all about LotR. Nothing new here.

After switching to Rohirrim the only truly interesting thing I've gotten so far is that when Tolkien originally came to Oxford as a student and got his modest stipend, one of the first things he spent his meager money on was some japanese prints. And you can see this influence in some of his drawings. So they felt that anime was something Tolkien would appreciate. But they only spent about 15 minutes talking about W. of the Rohirrim.

They did play a nice little game: name your favorite character from each age.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:29 pm

When he asked Boyens, several seconds in, when she was first introduced to Tolkien the pause she gave was much too long, that told me we have an opportunist who thought she could get rich quick with a super glossy film, that would keep people happy without being harassed about the actual story. she said a parent gave her "a book" ( which book ? ) she was 10 yrs old because mummy said so by writing it in this book, lots of stuttering and pauses, but hey, she cant find this elusive book ! well that should get her off the hook a tad, Shes fake and I dont like fake people. IL pick up on this vid later

LotR Prequel: Helm Hammerhand and the Battles of Rohan - Page 3 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

LotR Prequel: Helm Hammerhand and the Battles of Rohan - Page 3 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:13 am

I'm actually kinda tempted to see this if it ever comes out, viewing it mostly as fan fiction rather than an adaptation, really curious to see an animated take on middle-earth.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:16 pm

You mean a high quality animated take. We've had a few that most found underwhelming, but that was decades ago.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3