David H
azriel
Amarië
12 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Concerning Dave Empty Concerning Dave

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:26 am

So I was wondering about Dave, and checked when he last posted, and HOLY CRAP it was JULY 9!

For some reason I thought it was like since the beginning of September, but this looked worrisome. Then I recalled that a year or so ago when Dave and I were chatting offline about his beach restoration work, I sent him an email which by default had my phone number on it, and he called me. We had a nice conversation, but after that kept things online.

So I went back and looked it up and by god I still had his number. So I called....

You'll all be glad to know he's doing quite well, in fact his restoration work got enough attention that he's been invited to present at an international conference and some university even sent him a grad student to work with.

So why hasn't he been here? Turns out he can't log on, can't even see the site. Before he ghosted us he was having problems with only being able to see text, no pictures, and eventually even that disappeared and he got messages telling him to contact the system admin.

He's still using Windows 7, but all the rest of the web seems to work fine for him. I think it's creeping security, though it's kinda strange that only Forumshire is giving him problems. So I'm passing this on to Amarie, though it seems to me the eventual solution would be Dave updating his OS. I know how painful that can be....

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Concerning Dave Empty Re: Concerning Dave

Post by Amarië Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:48 am

I am far from a tech wizz, but I will help if I can.

It could be the update with new domain name and the certificates and whatnot that causes trouble.

I assume he's deleted all cookies and cache, tried different browsers. Trying both forumshire.com and hobbitmovie.forumotion.com ...

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:48 am

From a problem with another website that I'm vaguely in charge of I suggested that he type in www.forumshire.com and not accept any suggestions, but type it out in full before hitting return. Since he's not here that doesn't seem to have been the problem and exhausted my meager technical suggestions. I do think he needs to upgrade operating systems.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:01 pm

This is the error message he sent me:

Concerning Dave Forums10

And he adds:

"Here's the error message. Any hints welcome. Windows 7 is still my operating system because I can't train Windows 10 not to update automatically which overloads my connection and often causes me to lose data. I need an operating system that resides on my hard drive not in any cloud, and at least so far I can't be bothered to learn Linux. "

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:05 pm

{{ Glad to know he is well, and still battling the elements and internet! Hopefully we can find a solution.}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:09 pm

{{ THis is if he is using firefox as browser, but you could maybe pass it on Halfy see if it helps any. }}

Method 1:

To fix "Network Protocol Error" or "Corrupted Content Error", you need to reload the webpage while bypassing the cache. To do so, Press Ctrl + F5 or Ctrl + Shift + R keys. It will reload the webpage fresh from the server, not from the Firefox cache. Now the web page should work just fine.

Method 2:

If the method1 doesn't work, please try this method.

Go to Edit -> Preferences. From the Preferences window, navigate to Privacy & Security tab on the left pane. Now clear the Firefox cache by clicking on "Clear Data" option.
Make sure you have checked both "Cookies and Site Data" and "Cached Web Content" options and click "Clear".
Done! Now the cookies and offline content will be removed. Please note that Firefox may sign you out of the logged-in websites. You can re-login to those websites later. Finally, close the Firefox browser and restart your system. Now the webpage will load without any issues.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:20 pm

He is in fact using firefox. Should be awake in a few hours, hopefully this will work and we'll be hearing from him soon.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:22 pm

Nice to hear that Dave is still one of the gang ! Dont want to hear anyone else is iLL or going thru bad times. Im over the moon Dave has got some sort of recognition. Im sure that must have been on his mind a lot, the beach project. Good luck to him I say !!

Concerning Dave Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Concerning Dave Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:32 pm

Hi everybody! Halfy emailed me Petty's advice and so I got really aggressive with the Firefox delete buttons, and Here I Am! {{{though I'll probably pay for it later on other sites Mad }}}

We just finished cranberry harvest yesterday after a grueling month and now trying to get caught up on life and the world (but not ready for politics yet). Here's the video of the short virtual presentation from the conference Halfy mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w18tEjEePg&feature=youtu.be

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:12 pm

HaHa!  Dave!   cheers

Glad Petty could figure out in 10 minutes what otherwise was taking months, and you don't have to follow my advice and get a new operating system.

Nice seeing the impact of all your work.  I was somewhat surprised that the driftwood fence could make so much difference but I suppose that's because of the time between storms.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:33 pm

So here's the thing with the large driftwood on our coast:
When I was young you used to have to hike across 50-100 yards of large old growth logs to get to any beach.  All the rivers used to flood annually and logjams were common so the sea was full of wood which would act like platelets in the blood, packing into any little cove or inlet and softening the wave action during storm surges.
But with all the dams that were build during the mid 20th century for hydroelectric and flood control, there hasn't been new wood coming into the system for decades. yet the regional culture still considers it an inexhaustible resource and many people depend on cutting it up for firewood to stay warm and dry during the winter.
We know that we'll never get those 1000s of old-growth logs back, but I had the idea that if we could take the handful of logs and stumps we could scrounge and place them in an interlocked matrix along what I imagined might be the perimeter of an imaginary giant logjam of 50 years ago, we might be able to fool the incoming waves that aren't tall enough to look over the front line.  
It's working better then I'd ever have hoped, especially when you add a small berm of cobble in front! Cool stuff! Cheap and easy. It appears to adapt to storm environments and sea level rise,  and as far as I can tell nobody else is doing it.

Last edited by David H on Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:55 pm

So you have made an intellectual contribution to world restoration work.  I'm not sure the uniqueness of that approach was made evident.  Perhaps because it was all in words and not printed. Be sure to document it at least pictorally - your collaborators I'm sure will be eager to publish the whole project.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:16 pm

{{ Dave! cheers Great to hear from you again. Amazing conservation work, you undercredit yourselves for your ingenuity. One thing to see a problem, quite another to see a solution no one else has. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:02 pm

BTW, I had forwarded Amarie's assumption that Dave had cleared the cache, cookies and history. Petty just got more explicit. Did you know this was the standard first step, Dave? Could have hauled you out of the hole months ago.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:15 pm

cheers DAVE!!
thank goodness, I was getting worried. So glad you are ok! Razz

cherry cherry cherry cherry glad the harvest is ok too
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:48 pm

Smile cheers pub Wave glad to hear you are ok Dave Smile

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:32 am

So I emailed Dave to see what was going on, and here's his reply:

Hi Halfy,
Thanks for checking in.
Yes, I'm suffering from both old computer problems and new connectivity problems. They "upgraded" our wifi signal a few months ago from 3G (3-4 bars) to LTE (0-1 bar) which combines the speed of a dial-up connection with the inconvenience of a bad rural cell phone connection, cutting in and out at random, particularly when it's raining....and I'm sure you know what that means on the Washington coast... :X {{{looking for the crabbit emoji}}}
And logging in to the new Forumshire site is still a challenge. It seems to mistake me for a burglar...

Also, Mom is getting up in years. She had a stroke last year and has taken a couple falls recently, so she's getting a little more time and attention. Our little family group (2 houses: Mom & brother, me & girlfriend who moved in a while ago) have all gotten vaccinated, and our county currently has a rolling 7-day covid average of only 0-1 case/day so no real worries there.... Hope the rest of you are all fairing well!

{{{On the "saving the world" front, a paper that claims I'm a coauthor has just been accepted for publication by an international journal of coastal engineering. Also i can't remember if I shared my cameo in a presentation to an international conference a few months ago. {{{Seems I'm getting famous for things other than bear stories and rude veggies...}}}

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w18tEjEePg

Please feel free to post any/all of this and say hi to the others for me. I miss you folks!

David

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:01 am

{{ It's great to hear Dave is well, though saddened to hear about his mothers stroke. Please do send on my best wishes Halfy and that we miss him very much too and hope he can return to the Forumshire family once things are better at home and his potato powered connection is running better. }}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:29 pm

Yeah, sending love & very best wishes to Dave & his family. Hope all will be settled & harmonious very soon :hug:

Concerning Dave Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Concerning Dave Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 24, 2021 6:51 pm

I can't find the special thread Amarie created, but I supposed she made it vanish. Let's just say (in a mysterious voice) the package has been sent. I will contact you. You know who you are.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Mon May 24, 2021 7:11 pm

The thread is still there, but I'll delete it asap if it in any way threatens the excisistance of the post above.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon May 24, 2021 7:13 pm

Where is it?  Can't find it.  Oh wait, you renamed it.  I'll look again.

EDIT: Ha!  Found it. Good to know Amarie's disguise worked.  Very Happy

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue May 25, 2021 10:24 pm

This is all very mysterious. You're not a wizard, are you? scratch

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue May 25, 2021 11:19 pm

A wizard is never mysterious, he always says exactly what he means to say.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:44 pm

So he's having problems figuring out how to use a tablet.  Figgers - I was given an apple tablet for remote teaching; thought I'd love it but I friggin' Hate it.  However I don't have any problems logging into forumshire on it.

Update: I was able to get past most of the setup hurdles [though I had to set up a dummy gmail account before it would even talk to me] and chrome works fine for simple searches, but i can't figure out how to log into any of my accounts including forumshire.  I don't see how I'm supposed to access any of the toolbar/menu stuff. Any tips? I've never worked with a tablet before. I may have to find somebody under the age of 25 to help me.

Any help for him?  It's a Lenovo tablet.  He actually sent me this email saturday but I was out in the woods for vacation.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum