Universal Quotes

3 posters

Go down

Universal Quotes Empty Universal Quotes

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:59 pm

So I read this totally execrable article, Linked Here, and it made me think, which quotes that we like so much are truly universal - as in, which can be taken out of context and still stand up?

For example, I adore Faramir's speech to Frodo that begins "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness...", but it would mean nothing to someone who hasn't read the books.

However, "Not all those who wander are lost" or "many who are dead deserve life; can you give it to them?  Then do not be so quick to deal out death in judgement..." can stand alone.

So what would fit into a list of Tolkien quotes that all could appreciate, whether they've read the books (or seen the movies) or not?

Last edited by halfwise on Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Universal Quotes Empty Re: Universal Quotes

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:29 pm

When looking through lists of Tolkien quotes, I keep seeing quotes that are from the movies, not the books!
 "“There is some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for.” Extremely Crabbit

Despite that, many of these lists seem under nourished to me. I think we can do better.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:01 pm

Tauriel: If this is love, I do not want it. Take it away, please. Why does it hurt so much?
Thranduil: Because it was real

Sofa

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:03 pm

The USA Today list is definitely not the five quotes I would have gone with, though I can't complain about "not all those who wander are lost" showing up. And "it's a dangerous business ... going out your front door" isn't a bad pick either. I like your suggestions in the OP, halfy.

It's not the pithiest, but probably my favorite single line from LOTR has long been:

TTT, III 8 wrote:"'Yet also I should be sad,' said Theoden. 'For however the fortune of war shall go, may it not so end that much that was fair and wonderful shall pass for ever out of Middle-earth?'"
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:06 pm

Malick: No  Where's the "throw the garbage" icon?

Eldo: interesting and subtle choice, but I don't think it passes the non-reader test.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:09 pm

To give a couple of serious answers, from The Shadow of The Past:

“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends”

And of course Thorin's final words:

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world’

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:14 pm

halfwise wrote:Eldo: interesting and subtle choice, but I don't think it passes the non-reader test.

You're probably right, but I do think it has a greater resonance than just its original context, particularly in light of Tolkien being a WWI veteran.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:18 pm

It can be trimmed (losing some of its poetry) to

"however the fortune of war shall go, may it not so end that much that was fair and wonderful shall pass"

I think it's a quote that almost nobody remembers. Theoden had a rather sweet and thoughtful side that rarely showed itself.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:30 pm

The longer winded version of the much quoted "all you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you" :

“It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.”

halfwise

Back to top Go down