Mrs Figg
azriel
David H
halfwise
Forest Shepherd
15 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

The Great Cabin Erection! - Page 3 Empty Re: The Great Cabin Erection!

Post by chris63 Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:52 am

As above. Looks great, well done Smile

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:50 am

Eldorion wrote:Very cool to see the frame coming together like that. Nod Will there be a 9-foot ceiling covering the whole cabin with just a ladder leading up into the loft space, or will it be at least partially open to below?
I shall build a "cathedral" ceiling, so that the ceiling will be a little over 15 feet up in the middle of the floor!
The floor is 20 x 12 and the loft is only going to be 8 x 12 with a steep ladder, so that much space overhead will be open. (I'm a bit concerned about the acoustics now that I think about it. Razz )

David H wrote:Cool! It's starting to take shape! The Great Cabin Erection! - Page 3 1918643206
I'm looking forward to seeing a few rafters (and joists?) go up to get an idea of what you've got in mind for the roof. (A hint from experience: a steeper roof gives you more loft space, but ain't much fun to work on..... Everything comes down to trade-offs.)

I think because the whole building is small enough I'll be able to skip over rafters. Some collar ties further up I think, but otherwise I'll be fine leaving it open. I'll definitely take some more pictures once the rake walls are framed up and the floor of the loft is in.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:19 am

Interesting thought about the loft interfering with acoustics. I get this intuitive sense of things being muffled because of the loft. I think if you drop half a wall down from the loft you'll get back some of the echo you're otherwise trapping under the loft. Or maybe you were worried about too much echo? Suspect

Still amazes me that our intuition can deal with something as complex as acoustics. Of course, our intuition may be wrong, but the very fact that I immediately understood what you were talking about (even though it had never occurred to me before) makes me think it's right.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:49 am

Yeah it's pretty nifty how much of our nitty-gritty day-to-day sensual (ahem, in the proper sense) experiences are shared with most other people. But then we do live on the same planet in the same basic type of body. 

It was actually too much echo that I was worried about. A big open ceiling is a lot of bare-wall for sound to bounce off of.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:24 am

It's the time delay that makes it noticeable. You'd get the same reflected energy with a low ceiling, but would hit absorbing surfaces more quickly. With a room your size I doubt it would be a problem, in fact I think it would make it sound pleasantly alive compared to a lower ceiling. I was more worried about killing that live feeling rather than having too much of it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:48 am

Ah, nice. Well we [I] shall see [hear]!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:50 pm

I'm guessing you won't have any echo problems Forest, but if you do find you want to tinker with the acoustics they're pretty easy to fix on this small scale with a little strategic use of insulation and draperies. Which brings up another question. You did a really nice job insulating the floor. What are your plans (if any) for insulating the walls and/or roof?

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:37 am

chris63 wrote:As above. Looks great, well done Smile
Thanks!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:44 am

David H wrote:I'm guessing you won't have any echo problems Forest, but if you do find you want to tinker with the acoustics they're pretty easy to fix on this small scale with a little strategic use of insulation and draperies.  Which brings up another question. You did a really nice job insulating the floor. What are your plans (if any) for insulating the walls and/or roof?
I went with 2x4 walls, so I'll just use R13 fiberglass batts in the walls. The ceiling will be, I think, 2x8s, so I can fit R19 in the ceiling with enough space above for air ventilation. It's a cathedral-type ceiling, so I'm going to have vents in the soffit under the eaves and a roof-long vent in the roof-cap. 

I figure R19 will be enough, but I might go with something thicker if I increase the rafter board size.

I haven't done much insulation work. This is what I've done in the past so I'll go with this method. I mean, I know that spray-foam insulation is good because it serves as a really solid vapor barrier; meaning, I believe, that you don't need to vent the roof at all in that case. But I can't imagine renting such a device or hiring insulation guys in for such a small roof!

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:47 am

My hat goes off to you on this Forest. I admire your determination Smile  I bet the 'plans' for the outcome on this are pretty much in your head, tho Id like to see a drafted plan ? I'm getting excited myself to see this finalized Very Happy  
I like the look of this ? tho obviously you don't need to include spot lights.

The Great Cabin Erection! - Page 3 Ceiln110

The Great Cabin Erection! - Page 3 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The Great Cabin Erection! - Page 3 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:43 am

Makes me wonder - it you insulate the roof you lose the view of wood. Do you put in boards below the insulation as a false roof that still looks like a cabin?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:32 pm

halfwise wrote: Do you put in boards below the insulation as a false roof that still looks like a cabin?

I'm guessing that's what's happening in Az's photo. A "cathedral ceiling" like that is great in hot country because the heat rises and radiates out from the roof leaving the room below cool, especially if you've got a concrete floor with a lot of cool thermal mass. But I think Forest wants a nice cozy loft on cold nights, and that's going to work much better with insulation. Then the insulation would typically be covered with a layer of drywall for fire resistance (a REALLY good idea, especially if you're planning on heating with wood!!! So what are your heating and cooling plans Forest? The nice thing about a little cabin like this is you can keep tinkering around until you get it exactly how you want it! )

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:58 am

My cabin will be much smaller than that room Az! (That picture does look pretty darn good.)
But we'll see on what material I use for the ceiling. Probably sheetrock (drywall), it's cheap and easy, but we'll see.

As for heating and cooling, David, the cooling bit will be left up to my windows at least one of which will be high up in the loft. For heating, I'm tempted to buy a small woodstove: used, if possible. Propane heating is tempting as well though because of how compact those little buggers are. The self-venting type stick right into your wall and take up a very small amount of space indeed. 
But I'm a simple man, and enjoy stoking wood-stoves. Smile  
If I do go for the wood-stove, my brother suggested I add a little built-into-the-wall "fire-wood drawer": the sort that allows you to open it from the outside of the house kind of like the drawers on those public mailboxes, drop in your wood, and then close again. Probably silly considering how little wood I would need, but it's fun to consider these things anyway. A small house can have quite a lot of utility with some imagination and know-how.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:56 am

Would you put the stove under the loft so the chimney can add extra heat there? But having the stove under there may mess up the circulation, not sure. scratch Mebbe put it right under the edge of the loft, radiating both under it and into the bigger room. Fun things to think about, envious you have the chance to apply your thoughts.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Shouldn't need to worry about adding extra heat to the loft. When there's a fire in the stove the heat around the stove will form an updraft and the heat will collect in the upper half. Low ceilings were invented specifically to keep the heat down where you can enjoy it during the day. Sleeping lofts were invented so you could sleep in the warmest corner of the attic when the fire was banked for the night.

Fans can be a big help. Ceiling fans are OK, but it's better to distribute the heat before it rises. A box fan pointed to angle downward on the stove and aimed toward the farthest corner works pretty well. There are also little thermocouple fans that are pretty cool and work well, especially if you're off-grid. http://www.caframolifestylesolutions.com/ecofan/

Wood heat is the best! I love my stove, and I've named my fire Calcifer.
The Great Cabin Erection! - Page 3 Latest?cb=20150105205123

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:18 pm

Wood heat is the best! I love my stove, and I've named my fire Calcifer....David.
Awh, that's so sweet  Very Happy
Actually all this talk of beautiful fireplaces makes me think of Beorn & his great hall Very Happy

The Great Cabin Erection! - Page 3 Beorn_10

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:39 am

I had to look that reference up.  study

My mom has that exact same fan on her woodstove. It's a nifty little thing. The first time my cousin saw it (he's big on engineering) he was quite taken with the concept.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed May 31, 2017 6:09 am

Hey-o, I've been busy getting the cottage ready for a farm helper, so I haven't been able to work on my cabin much. Even so, I got the walls up last month, and my boss helped me with the ridge-board and the first four rafters. 

The Great Cabin Erection! - Page 3 34617332520_8f8d95d830_c

And from the loft looking down:

The Great Cabin Erection! - Page 3 34964970216_9ee91d0c6f_c

I had work off today so I got several more rafters up by myself this afternoon. Here's how it looks from down in the orchard:

The Great Cabin Erection! - Page 3 34161371464_bf8b0de872_b

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed May 31, 2017 1:31 pm

Looking like a reality!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed May 31, 2017 1:40 pm

looking very cute with that pitched roof. cheers  it will be a lovely place to dream.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Wed May 31, 2017 2:50 pm

Nice, Forest! I've been wondering how your project was coming along. cheers
It's looking plenty stout, even for a heavy snow load, and it looks like you've figured out where pretty much everything goes now. Just a dozen more rafters and you'll be getting ready to start hanging plywood!!! That's when you'll really know what you've built. Nod

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed May 31, 2017 6:37 pm

Looks great ! Very impressive so far. Will be a lovely feeling of achievement when its finally done. Its like climbing a staircase & you look behind & see how far you've come.

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed May 31, 2017 7:53 pm

That looks really good, Forest! It's been cool to see how its progressed through each step of the way. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:48 am

I can't wait until I get the plywood on the roof, the windows in, and the siding on: heck, I'll probably start sleeping in there right away. Razz 

I should have included a view from the roof: it's gorgeous. I almost want to just leave the roof off so I don't lose the view, but I suppose that's what the dormer is going to be for.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:03 pm

Will a big triangular window out the back of the loft provide a good view? (are triangular windows even possible in a home project?)

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next