Anyone interested in having a Chapter by Chapter read through?

4 posters

Go down

Anyone interested in having a Chapter by Chapter read through? Empty Anyone interested in having a Chapter by Chapter read through?

Post by malickfan Thu May 19, 2016 4:04 pm

Doing a chapter by chapter read through of the novels has been mentioned occasionally (most recently by me a few months ago) I'm not necessarily volunteering to lead one (I don't think I've ever actually participated in a C-b-C readthrough before, so I have little to no idea about how to schedule or guide discussion...), but I'm planning on re-reading The Hobbit soon and was wondering if anyone else cared to join me, or was interested in having a read through of any of the other books in general, so I thought I'd start this thread to gauge interest and/or maybe plan out possible schedules and ideas and maybe think of a few ideas for questions...it's been far too long since I've participated in a in depth discussion about the books online, and with several lore masters being regular visitors here I thought it would be a fun chance to go back 'on topic' for this forum, and also give me an excuse to start re-reading the books properly for the first time in several years.

I thought it would make the most sense to start with The Hobbit as it is the shortest, and arguably most stand alone of Tolkien's major writings, and easier to dip in and out of in a discussion (we are a hobbit forum afterall).

I'm going to go ahead and read the first couple of Chapters of TH anyway (and possibly the Hobbit related sections in a couple of related scholarly books on Tolkien), but I'll leave this here if anyone is interested/wants to volunteer for it.

Last edited by malickfan on Thu May 19, 2016 5:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Anyone interested in having a Chapter by Chapter read through? Empty Re: Anyone interested in having a Chapter by Chapter read through?

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 19, 2016 4:09 pm

{{Oddly enough I had misplaced my copy of the Hobbit, and yesterday, whilst looking for something else entirely in a cupboard it fell out and hit me on the head! Mad I think I shall take that as a sign its time for a reread- so count me in Malick Nod }}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Anyone interested in having a Chapter by Chapter read through? Empty Re: Anyone interested in having a Chapter by Chapter read through?

Post by malickfan Thu May 19, 2016 4:31 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{Oddly enough I had misplaced my copy of the Hobbit, and yesterday, whilst looking for something else entirely in a cupboard it fell out and hit me on the head!  Mad I think I shall take that as a sign its time for a reread- so count me in Malick Nod  }}

Laughing (ouch)

Ok, that's at least two of us.

Assuming this happens I'm wondering how we should structure things? It's a fairly short book (by Tolkien's standards at least) but almost every chapter has alot crammed in, would splitting it into one chapter a thread be enough? Should be jusy cover the book, on invite cross discussion to the adaptations, artwork, or early drafts found in The H.O.T.H?

I own a copy of The Annotated Hobbit, so I'd be basing discussion on page numbers etc from that.

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 19, 2016 5:17 pm

{{Its the hard back annotated version I own too Malick (making it no fun to be hit on the head by it unexpectedly!) so we will literally be on the same page for this one Very Happy
I suggest for TH chapter by chapter- yes there is a lot in there, but as you say its not a huge book. }}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu May 19, 2016 5:22 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{Its the hard back annotated version I own too Malick (making it no fun to be hit on the head by it unexpectedly!) so we will literally be on the same page for this one Very Happy
I suggest for TH chapter by chapter- yes there is a lot in there, but as you say its not a huge book. }}

I actually own 2 copies of The Hobbit (it's one of just two books I own more than one copy of), the other being the 1997 Alan Lee illustrated hardback (well, the 2008 reprint of it at least) Smile

I'm going to re-read the first chapter tonight anyway, hopefully I might actually think of a few interesting things to say!

(Just edited the opening post on the thread btw)

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu May 19, 2016 5:45 pm

{{Good stuff Malick, cant promise Ill get through chapter 1 tonight, but will have done so no later than than Saturday}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri May 20, 2016 6:24 am

Hm.. I'm too stuck up in other books at the moment to join in, as much as I'd like to. Still, it'd just be you and me Malick and... where is that smell of peppermint coming from???  confused

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri May 20, 2016 8:35 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{Good stuff Malick, cant promise Ill get through chapter 1 tonight, but will have done so no later than than Saturday}}

Well I did re-read the first chapter, and I certainly thought of a fair few question and/or ideas I hadn't considered before, but I'm rather struggling to organize my thoughts and I haven't got a clue as to how I would format things, as I said I liked the idea of a C by C discussion, but I'm not sure I'd be the best person to lead one...

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat May 28, 2016 9:48 pm

...Started to re-read LOTR instead

Laughing

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat May 28, 2016 10:08 pm

{{{ Mad }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Sat May 28, 2016 10:19 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:{{{ Mad }}}

I might just re-read both.  Smile

Other than me and you no-one else expressed any major interest in a read through, I've made a few notes and questions for the first TH chapter, I'll see if I can organise them and maybe P.M them to you to see what you think, if you have any suggestions etc?

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon May 30, 2016 7:00 pm

Well I've written out notes, questions Etc for the first chapter (about 19 pages worth! which I PM'd to Petty for comment) so if anyone is interested should I just go ahead and post?

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon May 30, 2016 7:28 pm

Shocked I'll read it but I dunno if I'll have the time to give something that long the response it deserves.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon May 30, 2016 7:47 pm

Eldorion wrote:Shocked I'll read it but I dunno if I'll have the time to give something that long the response it deserves.

When I say 19 pages worth that includes chapter summaries and recaps of events in the chapter and it would probably be split into five or six posts, most of the questions are quite short and simple, I could PM it to you if you want to check, it's really not as bad as it sounds (I hope...)

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon May 30, 2016 7:49 pm

Feel free. Thumbs Up
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Mon May 30, 2016 8:16 pm

Eldorion wrote:Feel free. Thumbs Up

Check your inbox.

malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down