bungobaggins
chris63
Bluebottle
Eldorion
David H
13 posters

Page 10 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 10 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2]

Post by halfwise Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:44 pm

When so much is similar it's the differences that jump out.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 10 Empty Re: Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2]

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:32 pm

haven't you stumbled across the ocean of literature about the Earth Mother Goddess being displaced, and warfare and whatnot being the result?- Halfy

{{Yes, indeed, the matter gets touched upon in a lot of archeology, but just as a thing that happened- just as the link above presents in that context- there was a shift from lunar female deities aspects to male solar ones- as if that explains it or why the solar dominated male ones were anti-women in a way the female religions never seem to have been inbuilt anti-men.
What I have never seen is a proper study of the why? What changed? Why go from lunar being predominant to solar being predominate? And why do all the solar ones have a built in anti-woman bias limiting their access to society in general?
And if it was because of agriculture and it emerging importance why the male slant, as most academics believe its more likely the inventors of it were female gatherers, not male hunting groups.
And why does there seem to be no contemporary writing on the mater or what happened to inform such a huge scale shift in societies? And why was it seemingly spread about cultures?  Such a change occurring within a society could be seen as a natural shift in social attitudes, but when it happens across several cultures in a very large region (all of the then 'known world') it must have wider roots than just that. }}}

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:47 pm

Didn't the shift correspond roughly with the Aryan invasions? In that case a shift to a more war-based society makes sense.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:44 pm

{{The Aryan invasion theory is not generally accepted these days. And whilst I can see how a shift to a more military lifestyle could see the promotion of male attributes I don't see why that has to include the seeming systematic removal of the feminine from public life as well as writing in from the start laws and religious ideas which just happen to limit what women are allowed to do inmost important fields and in everday society. Nor why it should occur in more than one civilisation and culture at about the same time period}}

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:53 pm

Remember how far back we are looking in history and how it compresses things. A few thousand years from now the whole rise and fall of the British Empire will look like a finger snap, and the huge change from largely patriarchal to more balanced western society (though still far to go) in the last 40 years will be a blink. I think the changes we are talking about spanned centuries, and with the rapidly shifting populations of the time a lot could happen.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:53 pm

I'll weigh in on this quickly. Based on David Graeber's "Debt: the first 5,000 years" (best book i've read this year!) i'd argue that the change came with the economics of civilization. When farmers, hunters and gatherers were in charge, the earth mother was dominant. once city-states got large enough that they needed to exploit surrounding neighbors for food, wood, and materials, the older people with direct ties to the land were conquered and became slaves/serfs/peasants, while armies and kings became dominant. Zeus and Ares taking the spotlight from Artemis, Athena, and Aphrodite.

That's just a quick shot. It's cranberry harvest and I'm only out of the bogs and online to check shipping records. Shouldn't be here at all really.... shhhhhhh.....

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 10 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 10 UJpDi Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 10 Mumbea10
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:35 pm

Okay, I ordered it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:48 pm

I wasn't entirely sure where to place this but................

http://shareably.net/zeugma-ancient-greek-mosaics-unearthed/?utm_source=killpics&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=unique

absolutely stunning !!!!!!

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 10 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 10 Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:05 pm

The Greek women look a bit more full-figured than we think of them, almost baroque. Poseidon seems to have a headlight on his chariot (and what's he doing in a chariot to begin with?)

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:26 pm

He..got...fed up with getting wet ?? Thought a day on the beach would be nicer ?

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 10 Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:12 pm

I once read, cant remember where, that at one point males and females had equal strength when we were hunter gatherers until we invented farming and village settlements then females started to get weaker physically and it was basically game over for women. its all about upper body strength when it comes down to it. The hunter societies were female friendly worshipping earth mother, and moon, farming societies were male centric and sun worshippers. don't know whether this is bs or not.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:44 am

Don't know about being weaker but, my mother always said I had my dad's strength Smile I used to, at a very young age, move the heaviest furniture for her & do all sorts of heavy housework for my family, still can now but for myself these days. I do get treated as "the fairer sex" which can be nice but, I don't bow easily & still surprise the Tesco delivery man at my door by pilling up the bags of cat & dog food up one arm & toddling off down the hall without a flinch Smile I never knew my dad but, I thank him for my strength at least. Ive also had to have mental & emotional strength also which, I think, is more powerfully draining. But, if I think I can do it, IL do it or at least have a go Smile

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:40 pm

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 10 7mile%20bridge%20florida_zpsfwy8pyfn

7 mile bridge, Florida

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:41 pm

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 10 Kjerag%20norway_zpsnkzjgn3z

Kjerag in Norway

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:43 pm

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 10 Norways%20atlantic%20ocean%20road_zpsoskdiibv

Norways Atlantic Ocean road......... pale

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:43 pm

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 10 New%20york%20city%20from%207000ft_zpsgrk2xidx

New York City, 7000ft above

azriel
azriel

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:40 am

That's looking towards the south.

If you are flying into LaGuardia airport from the south, if you're lucky the wind will be coming from the south when you are sitting on the right. The plane will do a perfect circumnavigation of Manhattan as it maneuvers to approach the runway from the north.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:18 pm

This makes me very happy:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/08/health/dinosaur-tail-trapped-in-amber-trnd/index.html?hl=1&noRedirect=1

Dinosaur feathers in amber!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:33 pm

halfwise wrote:This makes me very happy:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/08/health/dinosaur-tail-trapped-in-amber-trnd/index.html?hl=1&noRedirect=1

Dinosaur feathers in amber!

SO COOL!!!!!! :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 10 1280px-Male_kodiak_bear_face  Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 10 UJpDi Oddities, curiousities and strangness in history [2] - Page 10 Mumbea10
David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:36 pm

Yeah that is SO cool! Very Happy Very Happy

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:45 pm

{{{Just as well they eventually say it was actually a really small dinosaur- cause otherwise from the picture I was thinking 'bugger the dino. look at the size of that fucking ant!!! affraid }}}

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:10 am

brilliant.  I wonder if large dinosaurs had feathers too. feathered T-Rex, can you imagine an enormous killer chicken on the loose? Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:33 am

Mrs Figg wrote: can you imagine an enormous killer chicken on the loose? Shocked

... doing the Bird of Paradise fan dance and looking at me? Thanks for the new nightmare! affraid Sofa

David H
David H

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:34 pm

Very cool, kinda glad it was such a small specimen with no blood preserved, not sure I like the idea of cloning dinos becoming a possibility.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:36 pm

but it would be way cool!

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 22 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16 ... 22  Next