+4
Mrs Figg
bungobaggins
halfwise
TranshumanAngel
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Corey Olsen's Silmarillion adaptation! Empty Corey Olsen's Silmarillion adaptation!

Post by TranshumanAngel Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:23 am

So following on from their "Riddles in the Dark" podcast, the good people over at the Mythgard Institute will soon embark on a giant, hypothetical Silmarillion adaptation. My understanding is that they will be hosting a new podcast and will discuss how each chapter or scenario could be brought to to life on the big screen. I wanted to let you guys know because I'm sure there are quite a few people here who might have some good ideas and who might like to contribute.

See here for more details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MV5wAxNIco
TranshumanAngel
TranshumanAngel
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Corey Olsen's Silmarillion adaptation! Empty Re: Corey Olsen's Silmarillion adaptation!

Post by halfwise Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:15 pm

I liked Corey Olsen until he began to bend over backwards to defend the Hobbit Movies. but it's still a good idea.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Corey Olsen's Silmarillion adaptation! Empty Re: Corey Olsen's Silmarillion adaptation!

Post by bungobaggins Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:17 pm

Olsen's mental gymnastics could net him a gold medal at the Olympics.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:21 pm

or a job in my eel wrangling shoppe
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by TranshumanAngel Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:57 pm

Oh yes, I'm not a fan of Olsen's take on the hobbit movies; I just thought this could be a chance for purists to have their voice heard
TranshumanAngel
TranshumanAngel
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:05 am

I did attempt to contribute to a previous Mythgard purism discussion.  Olsen and one of his fellow Mythgard scholars were going to have a big purist vs revisionist debate (Olsen on the revisionist side of course), and his opponent posted on her blog asking for suggestions for strategies to use in the debate.  I left a really long comment but, as I expected, it was never approved to appear publicly.  I didn't listen to the actual debate but I'm pretty sure it was a lot of people talking past each other because the designated purist seemed utterly clueless based on her pre-debate comments.

In short, Corey argues that the Hobbit films are excellent adaptations.

I am going to argue that they are bad movies.

See, it’s important to know how to evaluate an adaptation. It won’t do to base its worth on how close it sticks to the original, because form changes content, medium changes message. I believe that any work must be judged on its own artistic merits.

https://theoddestinkling.wordpress.com/2014/10/08/crowdsourcing-the-hobbit-smackdown/

PROTIP: saying that TH is a bad movie is not the same thing as saying it's a bad adaptation.  And how the fuck are you supposed to "evaluate an adaptation" if you don't compare it to the original?  But this is pretty much what I expected given that this person is an English professor.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:13 am

I was trying to find the actual debate and I stumbled upon this post about Olsen that I heartily agree with (particularly point #2), although I stress that unlike this blogger I was never an Olsen fan. Razz

https://aussierebel.wordpress.com/2015/04/04/why-corey-olsen-harms-tolkien-studies/
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:17 am

#rekt

That was amazing. I hope Olsen reads that. Laughing

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by TranshumanAngel Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:17 am

Hahah...ummm about that blog which you linked to Eldo... Cool

As for the debate...yeah it wasn't particularly good. Olsen's opponent was full of non-sequiturs and Olsen tends to speak over people in any case.
TranshumanAngel
TranshumanAngel
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:10 am

Haha, it's a small world after all. Laughing

Very impressive blog, THA. Nod
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by TranshumanAngel Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:24 am

Yah, who woulda thought...

thanks!
TranshumanAngel
TranshumanAngel
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by malickfan Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:02 pm

I still maintain that it isn't possible to adapt the sil, not least because the published version is only semi-canonical, it would in effect be an adaptation of an adaptation.

I'm not familiar with Corey Olsen's work, but from what I've heard about his podcast it seems more a case of jumping on the hype bandwagon about the films, than a serious attempt about 'Talking Tolkien', I could be wrong.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:21 pm

Olsen has been around for long enough that his stuff pre-dates The Hobbit's hype train. He writes more for a mass audience than for people already deep into Tolkien studies, but I think there is worth in that. His lack of references to other scholars (among other things) is worrying, though. As for his position on the movies, I have no reason to believe he isn't genuine, but his approach to analyzing the movies and his attitude towards those that disagree with him are both highly problematic.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:40 pm

I found his actual podcasts on The Hobbit book, chapter by chapter to be overall an enjoyable and engaging listen.
Which makes his approach to the films all the more baffling to me.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:17 pm

Eldorion wrote:Olsen has been around for long enough that his stuff pre-dates The Hobbit's hype train. He writes more for a mass audience than for people already deep into Tolkien studies, but I think there is worth in that. His lack of references to other scholars (among other things) is worrying, though. As for his position on the movies, I have no reason to believe he isn't genuine, but his approach to analyzing the movies and his attitude towards those that disagree with him are both highly problematic.

How can you call yourself a professor without citing sources from other scholars. Evil or Very Mad It makes it look like you're trying to be the "be-all-end-all" if you don't. Evil or Very Mad

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by TranshumanAngel Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:19 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I found his actual podcasts on The Hobbit book, chapter by chapter to be overall an enjoyable and engaging listen.
Which makes his approach to the films all the more baffling to me.

I found them enjoyable too. They were well produced and actually contained some insight. Nevertheless as Eldo says, his approach to the films (and to book-fans or "purists") is very condescending. As I wrote in that blog piece, his ego very much centres everything he does and he rarely entertains debate among his podcast co-hosts.
TranshumanAngel
TranshumanAngel
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by TranshumanAngel Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:48 am

Hey guys, for those of you who would like to listen in or participate in this Silmarillion project:

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/18943852485381378

It would be great to get some perspectives from people here on the podcast!
TranshumanAngel
TranshumanAngel
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by TranshumanAngel Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:50 am

There is also a forum:

http://mythgard.org/forum/index.php?categories/the-silmfilm-project.5/
TranshumanAngel
TranshumanAngel
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:45 pm

Interesting project- I haven't registered so could only look at the limited info in the forum- is it a fan project? A Kickstarter? Just for fun? What about copyright?

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by TranshumanAngel Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:41 am

It's a fan project yep. Just for fun, they are discussing a completely hypothetical Silmarillion tv project.

I think it would be interesting to get some "purist" voices heard there - because I could see this as an interesting arena in which to challenge Olsen's view of adaptations, which is basically the revisionist one *1000. There are so many fascinating issues around adapting the Silmarillion (I don't ever think this could or should be done for real).
TranshumanAngel
TranshumanAngel
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:55 am

Thanks Trans- I may well register and bring some purism to the table Twisted Evil

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:25 pm

Shocked let us know how that pans out
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:26 am

TranshumanAngel wrote:Hey guys, for those of you who would like to listen in or participate in this Silmarillion project:

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/18943852485381378

It would be great to get some perspectives from people here on the podcast!

Have you contributed to Olsen's podcasts before, THA? I'm curious how that would go given your disagreements with Olsen on certain issues. Razz

Anyway, I've struggled to get into the whole world of podcasts, almost solely because the idea of just using my computer to listen to someone talk for an hour (or three Rolling Eyes) is really off-putting to me. All the chat and asides don't interest me as a newcomer, and like most people I read faster than a normal rate of speech. Is there anywhere one can read about the Silmarillion TV idea instead of listening to it? I kinda feel like it's an idea that's doomed to fail before it even starts but if I'm trying to be fair I should learn more about it first.

TranshumanAngel wrote:There is also a forum:

http://mythgard.org/forum/index.php?categories/the-silmfilm-project.5/

I didn't know there was a Mythgard forum, although it looks like it was just started. How much more is there that's hidden to registered users only?
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:31 am

A short and (sorta) to the point summary of the project here, which appears to be condensed from the video on the first page.

Turns out this was less than an hour away from me. Was like $100 to get in, though.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by TranshumanAngel Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:42 am

Fair enough Eldo. I'll be keen to see what the come up with anyway. No doubt I'll disagree with a lot :p Razz Razz also, I have been in a couple of his mythgard classes and yes I've interacted a couple of times on the podcast. I pointed out the bizarre lengths he was going to make excuses for the DoS in his reaction podcast. I can't remember what he said, more or less that his theory of adaptation was correct and that purists shouldn't be so, well, pure. Evil or Very Mad

Anyway in posting this I just thought some people might be interested. But you're right- it could get really tedious really fast.
TranshumanAngel
TranshumanAngel
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next