Tinuviel
halfwise
Eldorion
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mirror, Mirror Empty Mirror, Mirror

Post by Eldorion Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:32 pm

Out of random vanity googling I discovered that we are not the only search result on Google for "Forumshire", though we are still #1.  There is another...

http://forumshire.com/index.php

We came very close to registing forumshire.com when we were picking a domain of our own, but a few of us, including Paul Erickson and myself, advocated for the inclusion of "hobbit movie" in the URL in an attempt to help our search ranking.  However, we have used the nickname "Forumshire" unofficially since mid-2010 and as part of the forum's title since June 2011.  Not that we have any legal ownership or indeed any moral right to prevent anyone else from using the name, but I personally wouldn't use an already taken name for a site of mine.  Nothing against them for doing so though, as it piqued my interest.  Maybe they've used it as an informal nickname too. Shrugging

Anyway, I was intrigued, so I began poking around and it turns out that this site was founded in January 2015 by refugees from a recently-deceased forum!  It's at about this point that I began to suspect we might be looking at a mirror universe or other paranormal involvement here.  Unfortunately they partake in the regrettable forum design trend of hiding almost all boards to non-members, but curiosity outweighed my general disinclination to signing up for more websites, so I made an account.  They're still pretty small at this point but do appear to be growing.  I didn't see any Tolkien discussions yet.  They do seem pretty cool about LGBT issues, having a dedicated subforum for that (they have a lot of specific-interest subforums) and listing trans as an option for gender during registration.  That was nice to see.

http://forumshire.com/showthread.php?t=174

This did kinda feel like trying too hard though, especially for a forum that has only just started.  I'm curious what their paid full-time staff does with the rest of their time when not running a brand new forum.

I just wanted to share this with you all as a curiosity and because I enjoy stumbling on weird shit online. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Mirror, Mirror Empty Re: Mirror, Mirror

Post by Eldorion Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:37 pm

There's also a "Forum Shire" out there apparently, but it's in Polish. They appear to have started in March 2011, which before we started using the name officially but after Odo had come up with it.

http://shire.forumpl.net/
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:40 pm

But what the hell is that first place for?

I've often poked fun and rolled my eyes at executive committees spending a whole day arguing about a mission statement, but now that it slaps me in the face, I'm suddenly all about mission statements.

The fact that they are clearly involved in subterfuge about their true purpose raises suspicion. Suspect   I say declare all out WAR!!

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:40 pm

That's interesting, because I know when I'm looking up this forum on google I type in Forumshire and this pops up right away! I'm assuming it's because the url doesn't have to match the title of the forum, but if you were really stingy Eldo, could you claim copyright on the name? I don't see how fair use could be used in their defense except that our url is different...

Mirror, Mirror Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:46 pm

I say declare all out WAR!!- Halfwise

I'll get my helmet, its under my kilt where I can keep it safe and clean Nod (Oh dear, might need a polish Embarassed Mad back in a mo)

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:48 pm

halfwise wrote:But what the hell is that first place for?

They want to be a general discussion forum. There are plenty of forums out there that don't really have a particular mandate other than to provide a medium for discussion of whatever their members feel like discussing. These are a minority of forums overall, but some of them have gotten quite big. Offtopic.com comes to mind, and they actually used to be a lot bigger than they are now. But most forums do have at least a vague theme that they structure themselves around.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:49 pm

Wouldn't it be good to have a little more protection down there when heading into battle, Petty?

Tinuviel wrote:That's interesting, because I know when I'm looking up this forum on google I type in Forumshire and this pops up right away! I'm assuming it's because the url doesn't have to match the title of the forum, but if you were really stingy Eldo, could you claim copyright on the name? I don't see how fair use could be used in their defense except that our url is different...

I never registered a trademark and I don't think you can copyright a name (though Blue would know better than me).  I don't want to pee on someone else's parade, but I do find this situation kinda strange since we rank quite well on certain Google searches.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:11 pm

And you can find us on youtube by searching for Forumshire Nod

'Wouldn't it be good to have a little more protection down there when heading into battle, Petty?'

Don't you worry Eldo, a childhood of being the unwilling guinea pig in Pretty's ongoing surprise scientific experiments into which bit of her newest pair of stilettos makes for the most efficient groining, I can retract those suckers faster than a Scotshobit can think of an excuse for why its not his round. Nod (Also handy in a bitter northerly breeze)

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:19 pm

{{{ Where's the image deletion service when you need it? No }}}

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:24 pm

The phrase "TMI" comes to mind, Petty. pale
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:46 pm

What?! Its just a pulley system with string, pulls my precious jewels up out of the way and into the folds of my plaid. I can take a groining but no one is breaking open my sporran on the way in and getting the family jewels Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:00 am

not sure about the guy with the finger.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:10 am

Its very weird seeing another Fourm with our name- also the one post I could look at was a list of there different url's all forumshire. something. There must be at least ten of them. And a warning that other sites with the same name are not part of their Forumshire group. Mad

I think Halfy is right, time to afix the bayonets! (I think I left mine in the Duck n Muck, wont be long, well no longer than closing time anyway)

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:09 am

could always scare them with a copyright violation notice. Big companies do it all the time to the unknowing average joe. Sure we don't really have the grounds to do so, but they don't know that. Just make an impressive bluff!

Mirror, Mirror Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:45 am

Spoken like a true lawyer. Very Happy

A single word, even one that is a combination of two, forum+shire, wouldn't normaly merit copyright protection. Although as little as a quite short sentence might. In the Infosoc case for the European Court of Justice, it was judged that a sentence of as little as 8 words merited copyright protection. The case handled how Google as a meta search engine for news would republish an extract of linked news articles on their own site, together with the link.

The more relevant means of protecting the phrase "Forumshire" would be by trademark, but that requiers registration as Eldo said.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:30 pm

Hypothetically Blue, what if we dont register the name and then this other lot do? Do we lose our name? Evil or Very Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:46 pm

Bomb 'em! Stealth attack! Evil or Very Mad

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:00 pm

Go in SAS style

Mirror, Mirror Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Mirror, Mirror Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:35 pm

I say send the Vikings in. Twisted Evil thatll sort them out.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:14 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Hypothetically Blue, what if we dont register the name and then this other lot do? Do we lose our name? Evil or Very Mad

Fair point, particularly considering their apparent ambition and corporate structure. Hopefully Blue will be by with another knowledge drop shortly, but my initial thought is that since we are non-profit and not trying to pretend to be them we're in the clear. But we are both forums so I'm not entirely sure.

Anyway, I made a post in their introductions forum almost 24 hours ago but no one has responded yet. They're a really quiet forum so far but there are a few regulars.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:20 pm

Mrs Figg wrote:I say send the Vikings in. Twisted Evil thatll sort them out.

But we're not done with you lot yet! Jeez...  Rolling Eyes

Just look at you all! Ready to attack a bunch of people for using a name you have no more rights to use than they do (probably) . I knew you lot were protesting a bit too much back in the days; you'll become good Dark Planetarians yet. I love you

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:21 pm

It is kinda funny that everyone seems to have skipped over my post about the Polish forum that's been using the name officially for longer than we have. Razz

But it's that rowdy spirit that sent the Dark Planet packing all those years ago! Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:25 pm

Eldorion wrote:It is kinda funny that everyone seems to have skipped over my post about the Polish forum that's been using the name officially for longer than we have. Razz

But it's that rowdy spirit that sent the Dark Planet packing with its tail between its legs all those years ago! Wink

I seen it... checked it out too. couldn't read a word on it but looked at it ever so briefly LOL

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:14 pm

it's that rowdy spirit that sent the Dark Planet packing all those years ago!- ELdo

Damned straight- over-the-top kneejerk reactions. That's us. In with all guns blazing or not at all Twisted Evil

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:41 pm

luckily we have large sofas to hide behind when it all goes pear shaped.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum