Forest Shepherd
bungobaggins
Sinister71
21 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

Music [3] Empty Music [3]

Post by Sinister71 Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:57 am

bungobaggins wrote:yeah, i don't like playing pop music. no offense to anyone who likes to play it, but for me it's mind numbingly boring.

i listen to some pop songs on the internet or radio and they really give philip glass a run for his money in terms of minimalism. 'oh this phrase is exactly the same as the previous one...oh this one is too...and this one...when will they do something different.'

i was classically trained so there's no hope for me in jazz music. it's nice to listen to, but i can't do it.

oh god now i want to rewatch arrested development. Laughing

classically trained  damn I'm just a rock musician who can't read music but play 5 instruments by ear and sing lead ( I did take 3 years of opera lessons though  Embarassed  ) I took a year of Jazz lessons but found I would rather listen to jazz than play it

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Music [3] Empty Re: Music [3]

Post by bungobaggins Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:17 am

The thing is, Sin, that you are able to play music that a lot of people actually want to hear. Nod

I just sit at home and play for my own enjoyment. Very selfish of me.

Plus you get so much ensemble experience too. Pianists are the loneliest number since the number one. Sad

Oh, sing me some opera! Saucy Wink

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:00 am

bungobaggins wrote:The thing is, Sin, that you are able to play music that a lot of people actually want to hear. Nod

I just sit at home and play for my own enjoyment. Very selfish of me.

Plus you get so much ensemble experience too. Pianists are the loneliest number since the number one. Sad

Oh, sing me some opera! Saucy Wink

I sit home and write music LOL I got burnt out on playing covers in bars. I play rhythm guitar, mandolin, bass, piano/keyboards, and drums. And prefer original material to other peoples stuff

I took the opera lessons because I was a big Queensryche, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest fan and being a lead singer I had to be able to hit those notes where it sounds like your balls are in a vise. So I took the lessons and found out it taught me a lot about control and how to sing properly.

Now I only sing for myself and my recordings which may see the light of day sometime, but I doubt it.

Last edited by Sinister71 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:10 am

Sinister71 wrote:So I took the lessons and found out it taught me a lot about control and how to sing properly.

One of my teachers once told me, "Control is technique." Only three words, but they carry so much weight in learning an instrument. And when singing, you are the instrument!

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:18 am

Music [3] 19018810

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:20 am

Look at all dem geetars! Very Happy

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:25 am

bungobaggins wrote:Look at all dem geetars! Very Happy

Embarassed
that's an older pic I was trying to put up the one I just took today with my new 16 channel mixing board

Music [3] <a href=Music [3] Studio10" />
Music [3] <a href=Music [3] Studio11" />

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:41 am

Nice crib Sin Metal

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:52 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Nice crib Sin Metal

That's just one little corner of it... I'm waiting for my 20 year old to move out so i can have a full room for my studio. Then I'll really be living in style. I have 2 guitars and a bass guitar in pieces right now all being stripped down to be repainted and then rebuilt. Its a hobby
Music [3] <a href=Music [3] Guitar10" />
Music [3] <a href=Music [3] Guitar11" />
Music [3] <a href=Music [3] Guitar12" />

That will bring me up to 9 guitars and 2 basses, 4 amps, a full PA system, and the capability of a 32 track studio Cool

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:57 am

Blimey you've got several bands worth of instruments!

(My mate has a guitar that looks identical to that last picture)

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:06 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Blimey you've got several bands worth of instruments!

(My mate has a guitar that looks identical to that last picture)

I bought it for my 17 year old but he doesn't play it so I stripped it down and am painting it candy apple red with silver hardware. It comes in handy having so many instruments. writing music is something I've done since i was 16, I haven't written a hit yet but I ain't dead yet either Metal Metal Metal

Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:14 am

bungobaggins wrote:yeah, i don't like playing pop music. no offense to anyone who likes to play it, but for me it's mind numbingly boring.
]
You mean you don't like listening to any popular music, or you don't like playing any popular music yourself?
I understand the latter, but the former preference strikes me as odd, and inexperienced. With how many people there are in the world today making music, and how many of them are popular, I think everyone should be able to find something they like.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:47 am

"Pop music" can refer to a specific genre, whereas "popular music" tends to be a more general description of any genre or style that gets mainstream attention and radio airplay, although (confusingly) the two terms are often used interchangeably.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:40 pm

Sinister71 wrote:
bungobaggins wrote:Look at all dem geetars! Very Happy

Embarassed
that's an older pic I was trying to put up the one I just took today with my new 16 channel mixing board

Music [3] <a href=Music [3] Studio10" />
Music [3] <a href=Music [3] Studio11" />

Ha, I have that exact same LOTR poster! Very Happy It must be nice to have a "music battle station" like this. I would have so much fun if I had a keyboard hooked up to midi so I could compose easily in Finale. I'd probably write more music if I did.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:46 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:
]
You mean you don't like listening to any popular music, or you don't like playing any popular music yourself?
I understand the latter, but the former preference strikes me as odd, and inexperienced. With how many people there are in the world today making music, and how many of them are popular, I think everyone should be able to find something they like.

The answer to your question is in my previous statement. I said I don't like to play it, not that I don't like to listen to it. And I should clarify that when I say "pop music" I'm referring to "popular music" and not the pop style.

There are songs and artists that I like in most styles, but not country. I fucking hate country.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:14 pm

I dont like "Country" either No All that Blue Bayou stuff *shudders*

Music [3] Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Music [3] Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:55 pm

Ugh, horrible country music. "The whole world's gone countriiiiieeeee" they cry out, when really all they mean is that they can't see past the county line.

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:37 pm

Johnny Cash is one of the all-time greats in any genre.  I don't listen to a ton of country but you gotta respect greatness when you come across it.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:39 pm

I agree bout Johnny Cash, " A Thing Called Love" is my fav Very Happy
Tho "A Boy called Sue" comes close ! Laughing

Music [3] Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Music [3] Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:43 pm

When I got home from work yesterday my dad happened to have just put on Columbo, specifically the episode where Johnny Cash guest-starred as the murderer, and it was great. Very Happy

I grew up hearing a lot of Johnny Cash from my dad, mostly his classic early stuff, but I've discovered more and more of his work as I've gotten older. His cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Hurt", made in the last year of his life, is amazing.

Last edited by Eldorion on Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:43 pm

There is country, and then there is pop country. I loathe pop country, or whatever you call that type of music where there are huge stadiums of fans and everyone needs a big white cowboy hat, and they all sing about how much meaning their tractors have and metaphors about slavery or whatever.

Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:46 pm

Johnny Cash is great. I'm more referring to the current Toby Keith, 'Murica, right-wing, country music.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:47 pm

Forest Shepherd wrote:There is country, and then there is pop country

I agree, there's a lot of great country music. Kris Kristofferson has written some of the best lyrics I've heard, and he thinks of himself as a country singer.

Music [3] Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:48 pm

I've struggled to get into modern mainstream country too.  But then again, my main exposure to modern country is stuff I've happened to hear on the radio, which is rarely the best showcase of what a genre has to offer.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:49 pm

God, I swear. Middle school, every day on the school bus...

We'll puuut a boooot in yer assss it's thee Uhmerican waaay.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next