How fat is burned

2 posters

Go down

How fat is burned Empty How fat is burned

Post by halfwise Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:35 pm

I came across something which makes some things more clear.  We all talk about "burning fat", and it is in fact a rather exact analogy to what happens.  But where does that fat go?  When a fire burns, all that is left is ashes.  Where does the mass go?  Up in smoke and gas.  It turns out you exhale most of the fat you burn, as explained in an article in Yahoo that refers to the medical journal BMJ:

"...for example, to burn 10 kilograms (22 lbs.) of fat, a person needs to inhale 29 kg (64 lbs.) of oxygen. And the chemical process of burning that fat will produce 28 kg (62 lbs.) of carbon dioxide and 11 kg (24 lbs.) of water, the researchers calculated."

http://news.yahoo.com/exhaled-pounds-fat-leaves-body-001427049.html
http://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g7257

As far as I know the fraction of CO2 expelled by breath doesn't change dramatically, so unless you increase your respiration rate, you can't burn extra fat!  This seems to mean that fit people who don't breathe hard don't burn as much fat, but I dunno.  I've also heard that fit people preferentially burn fat over blood sugar, but need to find real attribution for this claim.

Anyway, it seems higher respiration rate (or lower food intake) is necessary to lose weight.  Wonder if just breathing harder will do it? scratch

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

How fat is burned Empty Re: How fat is burned

Post by Forest Shepherd Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:44 pm

Petty should be alright then, his crabbit attacks usually leave him breathless once he finishes ranting!

The new science, crabbit helps you lose pounds!
(I expect a full-page editorial in the next NotP.)

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum