halfwise
Eldorion
bungobaggins
8 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

US Midterm Election 2014 - Page 2 Empty Re: US Midterm Election 2014

Post by Eldorion Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:22 am

They serve poutine at some of the ski resorts in upstate New York and Vermont that I've been to; close enough to the Canadian border that my cell phone has been hit by roaming charges.  My brother swears the stuff is good, but I haven't worked up the courage to try it myself.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:15 pm

The concept is usually better than the execution. I've had what was supposed to be an excellent version, and it didn't blow me away the way it should have. Fries, gravy, big cheese curds, random additions...how could it not send you into comfort food ecstasy?  No 

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:22 pm

This guy is running for senate in Minnesota. No

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:52 pm

Doesn't hold a candle to Jesse Ventura. Minnesotans went way up in my scorebook when they cheekily put him in office. Made The Governator look like a cream puff.

New York was a fun place for a while with Anthony Wiener. I was sad to see him go.

What keeps the government going are the lower level bureaucrats and office workers toiling away without any thanks or glamour. Fortunately the people in the spotlights up top are usually retain just enough wisdom (or complacency) to leave the real government alone.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:06 pm

I still fin d it deeply puzzling and hard to undertstand what it is Americans dont like about the idea of free health care for all.
Really, its rather good. Nod

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:28 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I still fin d it deeply puzzling and hard to undertstand what it is Americans dont like about the idea of free health care for all.
Really, its rather good. Nod

Sure, it's good for you. But if the USA were to try it, the heath insurance industry would implode, starting a cascade that destroys the entire global economy in weeks {{{or so I was told by somebody in the insurance industry cyclops }}}.

Of course we'd never want to do that to you all, so we soldier on with our second class health care. Suspect

Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:00 pm

Nod We've got the heavy burden of propping up the entire world's economy by the exercise of vigorous free enterprise. Not just anyone who can do it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:34 pm

America! Land of Hope and Glory and the World Series of Baseball where no one from the World outside America is invited! God Bless America! cheers

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:02 am

Cheerleader bounce :carrot: USA :carrot: bounce Cheerleader

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:42 pm

Well I suppose they did legitimise staring at high school girls in tiny skirts dancing with pom poms. Thats very American.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:22 am

US Midterm Election 2014 - Page 2 2014%2B-%2B1

Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:59 pm

http://www.sctimes.com/story/political-quarry/2014/09/20/palin-emmer/15915303/

Congressional candidate Tom Emmer last week got the blessing of Alaska's most recognizable political export: former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

In a post on her Facebook page, Palin called Emmer a proven conservative who "won't be a 'duster' in Congress."

The post is peppered with hockey references to Emmer, who played college hockey at the University of Alaska Fairbanks.

"Career politicians in D.C. better start investing in 'fight straps' before Tom Emmer gets there. This former hockey player, coach, and current hockey dad won't have any patience for their 'gross misconduct,'" Palin's Facebook page says.

"So, Minnesota, let's work together to send Tom Emmer to Washington and put the career politicians in the penalty box!"

Emmer is the Republican nominee in Minnesota's 6th Congressional District. Sartell Mayor Joe Perske is the DFL candidate, and John Denney is the Independence Party contender. The district's current representative, Michele Bachmann, isn't seeking re-election.

This isn't the first time Palin has weighed in on Emmer's behalf.

She endorsed him just before the Minnesota GOP's 2010 state convention. Republican delegates that year went on to endorse Emmer as the party's candidate for governor.

The scary thing is that this is a glowing endorsement in the eyes of most of the people in the 6th congressional district.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:51 am

You UShobbits voting today? Or have I got my times wrong?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:16 am

Yeah, I plan to swing by on the late afternoon after work.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:25 pm

I sent in my ballot yesterday. Our state has been 100% vote-by-mail since the 2000 Bush vs. Gore hanging chad debacle in Florida. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:39 pm

I should probably swing by and wake up the poll workers, god bless'em. During mid term elections they sleep with ballot books over their faces, waking up for the after work rush of a half dozen folks or so.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:39 pm

chris63 wrote:US Midterm Election 2014 - Page 2 2014%2B-%2B1

Didn't see this before. That's pretty damn good. Laughing

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:36 pm

The best part of that picture is that the blonde woman is the Prime Minister of Denmark. Razz
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:40 pm

David H wrote:I sent in my ballot yesterday. Our state has been 100% vote-by-mail since the 2000 Bush vs. Gore hanging chad debacle in Florida. Rolling Eyes

Nice. Unfortunately Marland has been using shitty digital voting machines since (I think) 2004.

halfwise wrote:I should probably swing by and wake up the poll workers, god bless'em.  During mid term elections they sleep with ballot books over their faces, waking up for the after work rush of a half dozen folks or so.

Laughing

I've tried to familiarize myself with the local candidates at least, but I moved since the primaries so it's been kinda weird.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:42 pm

During mid term elections they sleep with ballot books over their faces, waking up for the after work rush of a half dozen folks or so.- Halfy

Expecting that low a turn out?

I have to confess to not really understanding mid-terms- why do you have another election inbetween the proper ones? Whats it supposed to achieve, beyond apparent voter apathy?

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:48 pm

The short answer to the midterm election is that it staggers the turn-over in public officials, give an opportunity for other local issues to be on the ballot without a special election, and allows the Big Party Campaign Machines to run continuously, year in and year out. Eldo or Halfy can probably explain better. I've still got a few acres to harvest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:50 pm

It's strange to think that modern demcracy at its most basic level consist of putting a piece of paper in a box every two years.

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:07 pm

Then cursing about the result until next time.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:27 pm

The House of Representatives has two year terms because they're supposed to be more immediately responsive to voter's demands. And while the Senate had six year terms, only a third of them are up for election at any given time, to ensure continuity in that chamber. Presidential elections of course are on a four year cycle, and because the presidency and Congress are two separate branches of government (unlike the UK, where the legislative and executive are more or less one and the same), they don't have to synch up exactly. In practice, though, most people don't give a shit who their congresspeople are and only pay attention to the president, so elections when the president is not standing attract comparatively little attention.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:48 pm

'In practice, though, most people don't give a shit who their congresspeople are'- Eldo

That seems to me a bit of a problem (one our system shares) as if I am understanding the current elections right it could change the balance and if so directly effect the chances of any effective government taking place for the next two years.
They seem quite important.

We have a similar system here in terms of a lot of votes leading to apathy.

There is the General Election, where we vote in MP's and the winning party becomes the government and their party leader PM. They are now fixed five year terms.

We have local council elections. I'm not quite sure what the US equivalent is. Local Councils run things like refuse collection, road maintenance, schools ect they are funded directly from Central Government. These votes can take place at any time really, but must happen at least once every four years.

Then we have elections for MP. These happen at every general election but quite often an MP retires, steps down for whatever reason, or dies mid-term, and then a by-election is held to elect a new MP. They can happen at anytime.

And then there are the MEP's that we vote to the European Parliament. They happen every five years.

And in the devolved regions there are elections to the devolved Parliaments. Those are every four years.

And in certain parts of England and possibly Wales there are Mayoral elections and Police Commission elections too.

In general only General Elections and election for the devolved Parliaments have a half decent turn out.
The rest, like in the US, most people don't bother about, couldn't tell you who their local councillors were or their European MEP.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next