Poll: Best for viewing - 2D, 3D or 3D HFR?

+5
Eldorion
Mrs Figg
bungobaggins
Carcharoth
Beleg
9 posters

Go down

What is the best format for viewing The Hobbit?

Poll:  Best for viewing - 2D, 3D or 3D HFR? Voting10100%Poll:  Best for viewing - 2D, 3D or 3D HFR? Voting10 100% 
[ 9 ]
Poll:  Best for viewing - 2D, 3D or 3D HFR? Voting100%Poll:  Best for viewing - 2D, 3D or 3D HFR? Voting10 0% 
[ 0 ]
Poll:  Best for viewing - 2D, 3D or 3D HFR? Voting100%Poll:  Best for viewing - 2D, 3D or 3D HFR? Voting10 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 9

Poll:  Best for viewing - 2D, 3D or 3D HFR? Empty Poll: Best for viewing - 2D, 3D or 3D HFR?

Post by Beleg Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:58 pm

Which is the best viewing experience in your opinion? Thanks for playing.

Beleg
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Poll:  Best for viewing - 2D, 3D or 3D HFR? Empty Re: Poll: Best for viewing - 2D, 3D or 3D HFR?

Post by Carcharoth Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:10 pm

Never seen the higher frame rate so can't comment on it. But I simply do not understand the hype around 3D. Unpleasant on the eyes. Makes everything slightly blurry. More expensive. And doesn't actually make anything on the screen look any better for me.

2D all the way.
Carcharoth
Carcharoth
Burglar

Back to top Go down

Poll:  Best for viewing - 2D, 3D or 3D HFR? Empty Re: Poll: Best for viewing - 2D, 3D or 3D HFR?

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:17 pm

I've never seen HFR either, but 2D compared to 3D, 2D wins hands down. No headaches, no glasses (or wearing glasses over glasses in my case), no having to focus or adjust to it, and no muted colors! If anything 3D draws me out of the "experience" as opposed to "drawing me in" which is what PJ keeps harping on about.

If you want to "draw people into your story" try having a better script with people we can get emotionally invested in, with a world that feels believable, with good acting. Those things draw me into a story, not an expensive gimmick.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:51 pm

2D all the way. 3D is just a distracting gimmick that takes me out of the moment and gives me nose bleeds.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Beleg Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks for the responses so far. I wasn't going to see it until after Christmas but due to miserably foul weather keeping me from the things I would rather be doing I think the wife and I are going to see it tonight. Hopefully my expectations are suitably low this time that I may be able to enjoy it...although I'm already pissed off from the spoilers I've read on here so who knows. My wife never read Tolkien so she'll probably enjoy it more than I will if I can keep my displeasure to myself.

Beleg
Lucky Number

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:14 pm

I can't really say because I've only seen either film in 2D. Generally speaking I prefer 2D to 3D (though IMAX 3D is good, but that's mostly because of the IMAX part), but I haven't seen HFR 3D so I can't say how that compares. I wanted to see AUJ in HFR last year but it was too out of the way and expensive. I might have internally justified it to myself, but I wanted to go with my brother and he wasn't interested in it. I'll probably end up seeing DOS a second time so I might try HFR this year.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:36 pm

can i add a column?

at home, downloaded from pirate-bay with logos all over.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:07 pm

I have a couple days off next week, I might try to see DOS in HFR because I didn't get to see AUJ in HFR and that was a part of my original plan.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:11 pm

If your going to see it in 3D, see it IMAX. Otherwise don't bother. I've still got my free IMAX movie pass from when I saw AUJ and the 3D was busted, which I plan on using for DOS when I get home.

And as far as picture quality, did anyone else notice that weird purple haze in the beginning of the film? It looked like the camera had a smudge on it...

Poll:  Best for viewing - 2D, 3D or 3D HFR? Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister71 Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Honestly I hate HFR it added nothing to the experience for me, same with 3D. I get migraines after about 30 minutes of 3D. So personally I hate it and honestly find it to be a gimmick and nothing more. Just something else for them to raise the ticket price.

For the money I spent which wasn't much I had enough to get 2 free passes and the wife paid for the rest. A whole whopping 12 buck for 3 of us to see the movie and we spent like 23 on popcorn and soda and candy. Which I love the big AMC plastic cups I can reuse them over and over again and they are dishwasher safe  slap laugh 

Suspect  NEVERMIND I'LL BE OVER HERE KEEPING MY MOUTH SHUT Suspect
Sinister71
Sinister71
Stinging Fly

Back to top Go down

Post by feanor 1999 Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:45 pm

Ayup...

Dunno about any other medium, but I saw TH in 3d and the separation of some of the elements was most off-putting. Worst '3D' moment was Gandy in the pony. Truly awful. He seemed to hover in your face in the foreground . Weird.

Ringwinner

Back to top Go down