Ringdrotten
Eldorion
Mrs Figg
malickfan
bungobaggins
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Storm Over Gondolin - Fanmade Silmarillion Film Empty Storm Over Gondolin - Fanmade Silmarillion Film

Post by bungobaggins Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:28 am

Saw this linked to over on torn. Filming is supposed to begin in 2015. So that would put the movie online somewhere in 2016 or 2017 at the earliest.

http://stormovergondolin.com/

nota bene:

We obviously draw our inspiration from Tolkien's work and the drawings that have been released during the last 30 years, but we also wish to integrate Peter Jackson's influence to our movie. The visual style will then be different from The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit movies, while keeping a certain continuity with them.
:facepalm: 

If you're going to make a fan film, make it your own. Tell the story how you see it, don't try to make it match with someone's interpretation. That's an approach I could respect. You shouldn't have to pay homage to Jackson.

They're still in the early stages, it will be interesting to see if the film gets completed (and what the overall quality will be).

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Storm Over Gondolin - Fanmade Silmarillion Film Empty Re: Storm Over Gondolin - Fanmade Silmarillion Film

Post by malickfan Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:07 pm

Count me out, I have less than zero interest in seeing any of the First Age stories adapted. As it is being screened over the net I doubt my beat up laptop could cope playing the whole film anyway.

Well, that was worth the wait wasn't it  Suspect

I think what comes out of a pig's rear end is more akin to what Peejers has given us-Azriel 20/9/2014
malickfan
malickfan
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Storm Over Gondolin - Fanmade Silmarillion Film Empty Re: Storm Over Gondolin - Fanmade Silmarillion Film

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:50 pm

OOOOOOO!! I like this. Its like Hunt for Gollum, which I enjoyed a lot. nice find. Razz 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:05 pm

To be honest, because this project is so far away from being completed (that's assuming they reach their fundraising goal of 100,000 euro), I'm sure a lot of people will lose steam or forget about it entirely. I know for me it will be forgotten long before filming supposedly begins in 2015. Sorry, but I'm pretty cynical when it comes to crowd-source funded projects.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:13 pm

Born of Hope took something like six years to complete and burnt up its director's entire life savings (though she was in her early 30s IIRC so she has time to rebuild before retirement age). The Fall of Gondolin would be a much more intensive project then BoH, too. Still, if these guys having the money, time, and resources then I say good for them. The concept art and prosthetics look pretty good, but I am a little skeptical that this will result in a finished feature-length film.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:20 pm

Eldorion wrote:The concept art and prosthetics look pretty good, but I am a little skeptical that this will result in a finished feature-length film.
My sentiments exactly.

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:24 pm

Yeah, I mean, I wish them the best, but I can't say that potential Silmarillion films are something near and dear to my heart.  Though they don't even have a donations page up yet, which is kinda weird.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:32 pm

"Though they don't even have a donations page up yet, which is kinda weird."

Somebody should run a background check on these people, perhaps someone got ill and were good at chemistry, and ended up with a pile of cash somehow...

Storm Over Gondolin - Fanmade Silmarillion Film Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:06 pm

Ringdrotten wrote:"Though they don't even have a donations page up yet, which is kinda weird."

Somebody should run a background check on these people, perhaps someone got ill and were good at chemistry, and ended up with a pile of cash somehow...
Storm Over Gondolin - Fanmade Silmarillion Film Post-22872-Walter-White-you-got-me-gif-Br-th7u

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:20 pm

BB Season 5 spoiler - ELDO DON'T READ Very Happy:

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:07 pm

Spoiler:

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:46 pm

Spoiler - Eldo, don't read Smile:

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:52 pm

Mad
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:13 pm

Spoiler:

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:17 pm

Spoiler:

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:04 am

Well I wish them the best and hope their project doesn't get a C&D. As much as I don't care for adaptations of the First Age, if someone is really passionate about the subject matter and wants to express their interpretation, more power to them. But yeah, I hope it's their interpretation and not just an offspring of Jackson's films.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:15 pm

Well BoH took Pj's visual look but used an original Tolkien based script with genuine dialogue so it sounds better than PJ's and feels more genuinely Tolkien to me in most places.
Just a shame they blew the whole revealing the Necromancer is Sauron thing way too early in the time line. Careless.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:43 am

Storm Over Gondolin has been squashed by the Tolkien Estate! Cheerleader 

Dear fans,
We come to you today with some sad news. The Tolkien Estate, the legal body which manages the rights to Tolkien’s works, has asked us to immediately cease working on the movie Storm over Gondolin. Like you, we are extremely disappointed to have to stop the production of a movie inspired by Tolkien’s legendarium. However, the entire team is staying on board and we are more excited than ever by the opportunity to create a new world inspired by the ancient mythologies. Much of our work still stands, and we are therefore announcing the production of a new fantasy film where you will find elves and orcs in an original universe. Thank you for your support and your fidelity ; a new step in our journey is beginning, and it is for you that we are taking it!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=580220735379163&set=a.497055060362398.1073741828.475172875883950&type=1&theater

bungobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:06 am

Tolkien Estate, taking out the trash!

Really though, it couldn't have ended happily...

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:45 am

I'm not happy that a fan project has been squashed. A PJ inspired project ended by the Estate isn't too different than a Tolkien inspired project ended by Warner Brothers.
It's just a group of fans trying to show some admiration for the setting even if they were inspired chiefly by Jackson which we don't know for certain.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:01 pm

I agree RA. Hunt for Gollum was great. I hate it when big business stifles creative talent. Its no different from PJ's fanfiction.

Last edited by Mrs Figg on Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:18 pm

I do wonder why the Estate would have gone after this project when they have never, to my knowledge, tried to stop the production of distribution of other fan films.  Hunt for Gollum and Born of Hope are the most prominent examples, but there are others as well that can be found online.  Perhaps it's because Middle-earth Enterprises would have to be the ones to try to stop fanfilms based on TH or LOTR.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:20 pm

Interesting - Tolkien explicitly welcomed other hands filling out his legendarium.  It seems the Tolkien estate reads this to mean that drawings and paintings and music are ok, but Tolkien's words and even plot elements are not.   I guess they didn't squash the Hunt for Gollum and Born of Hope because they were passed over in only a sentence or two?  It's okay to fill in the interstiches but not anything that Tolkien fleshed out?

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:22 pm

The quote where Tolkien talks about "other hands" is almost always taken out of context.  He's talking about a vision for the legendarium that he had very early in its conception, and he specifically says that he no longer has that vision ("my crest has long since fallen", to be exact).  Not to mention that fanfiction as we know it didn't really exist at that time, so his comment could not possibly have been about that.

The Estate has generally been fine with fanfiction, at least the written sort, so long as it's not being sold, though.

http://tolkienestate.com/faq/p_2/
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:28 pm

I think the "My crest has fallen" statement means he no longer had expectations of others jumping in to help, not that he no longer welcomed it.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next