Alternative adaptations of The Hobbit

+2
azriel
Ringdrotten
6 posters

Go down

Alternative adaptations of The Hobbit Empty Alternative adaptations of The Hobbit

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:44 am

We have one for LotR, and as this just showed up on TORn I thought it fitting to have a thread like this for The Hobbit too! Apparently an animated version of the Hobbit is to premiere online in december, and there is a trailer for it as well. I like the artwork a lot, and I'm a little excited about this. To save you a click (and to make this post look fancy) I've copied and pasted the article here, with the trailer.

"Fan-made animated Hobbit film in production!
July 27, 2013 at 8:15 pm by Demosthenes

Fili from the fanmade animated Hobbit Our friends at Tolkien Brasil tell us that, somewhat in the vein of the fan film Born of Hope, Dutchman Johan Zanderbergen is currently working on an fan-made animated version of The Hobbit.

Tolkien Brasil reports that “apparently the script is very faithful to the books and presents the childish tone that Tolkien’s work expresses, without losing the air of Middle-earth and seriousness of the mission of the dwarves.”

You can see the artwork for Fili at the top right, and check out a teaser the trailer down below. At this point it is expected to debut online in December.

Portugese readers might also be interested to know Tolkien Brasil is petitioning the Brazillian publishers of Tolkien’s works to create a Portuguese translation of The History of Middle-earth. At the time of writing this article, the petition has reached more than 4,000 signatures, so there’s definitely some interest there!"

Here's the picture of Fili mentioned in the article

Alternative adaptations of The Hobbit Animated-hobbit-fili-161x300

Alternative adaptations of The Hobbit Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Alternative adaptations of The Hobbit Empty Re: Alternative adaptations of The Hobbit

Post by azriel Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:25 pm

I like that ! I shall look forward to that being released, I think Im more interested in seeing that animation than I am of PJs "hieronymus bosch" style DOS or BOT5A Smile 

Alternative adaptations of The Hobbit Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Alternative adaptations of The Hobbit Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Alternative adaptations of The Hobbit Empty Re: Alternative adaptations of The Hobbit

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:36 pm

"I think Im more interested in seeing that animation than I am of PJs "hieronymus bosch" style DOS or BOT5A"

That's how I feel too Sad

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:46 pm

Thumbs Up 

Alternative adaptations of The Hobbit Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

Alternative adaptations of The Hobbit Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:51 pm

Thumbs Up Sounds better than PJ's already, there is even some Tolkien dialogue in the trailer- and proper dwarves! :carrot: 

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:28 pm

The trailer actually looked pretty neat. Very Happy I was always a little surprised that we hadn't seen any other fanfilms since The Hunt for Gollum and Born of Hope back in 2009, though I'm sure it's a very intensive undertaking. I'll definitely watch this when it's out. Thumbs Up
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:29 pm

By the way, if anyone is interested in other versions of The Hobbit, there's always this version made in 1985 for Soviet television. It's part of an anthology TV series but it stands on its own ... poorly. Laughing

Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:31 pm

There's also the Finnish miniseries Hobitit that adapted both TH and LOTR. Fortunately someone uploaded it to YouTube with English subtitles. Smile

^ open that video in YouTube and you can find the additional parts in the related videos
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:32 pm

And let's not forget the original animated The Hobbit, made in 1966 as a ploy involving copyright law and only recently rediscovered.

Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:40 pm

The last one I have never seen - thanks for posting it, Eldo, I'll watch it later Very Happy

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:56 pm

No problem, Ringo. Smile The film was believed lost for a long time but someone rediscovered a copy of it and posted it online early last year. The guy who created the film wrote an essay about its creation that makes for interesting reading if you're into the history of Tolkien adaptations. Smile

http://genedeitchcredits.com/roll-the-credits/40-william-l-snyder/
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:59 pm

I just watched the opening of the Finnish one- I like it! At least it tries to pay some attention to the source, more or less- small things that PJ didnt bother with- like Smeagol nosing about on the banks whilst Deagol is fishing, not in the boat with him like in Pj's. Thumbs Up 

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:18 pm

It actually looks very good. Shocked

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:51 pm

Ok Ive watched all three of the episodes of the Finnish one now (all thats there) and I am hooked.
I even started to like the Bilbo, despite the derisory comments below the vid about him if you know the book you can actually see what Bilbo's thinking!
And despite the obvious wrongness of Gollums physicality in terms of take on the character and performance I really like it.
He doesnt seem like a totally different species from Bilbo, he is very animated and some of the sounds he makes are brilliant.
I really want to see th rest if only to see the stuff with Frodo, Sam and Gollum.

I once said I could watch a production of Lord of the Rings if it was a bare stage, no props and no costumes so long as it had a decent script that tried to follow the book and this sort of proves it- I enjoyed those three episodes considerably more than I did PJ's entire first Hobbit film.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RA Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:58 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I once said I could watch a production of Lord of the Rings if it was a bare stage, no props and no costumes so long as it had a decent script that tried to follow the book and this sort of proves it- I enjoyed those three episodes considerably more than I did PJ's entire first Hobbit film.
The script should be the heart of the movie. After all the script is the story (where the substance lies) and the movie is just the vehicle to deliver it; if the vehicle presenting it horribly mangles it, then someone needs to fire that driver.

"From him they learnt many things it were not good for any but the great Valar to know, for being half-comprehended such deep hidden things slay happiness; and besides many of the sayings of Melko were cunning lies or were but partly true, and the Noldoli ceased to sing, and their viols fell silent upon the hill of Kôr, for their hearts grew somewhat older as their lore grew deeper and their desires more swollen, and the books of their wisdom were multiplied as the leaves of the forest."

Remember Merp - July 11th, 2013
RA
RA
Defender of the faith and Dunedain of the thread

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:16 am

I didn't even finish a single episode of Hobitit on the one occasion I tried watching it, but Petty and RA's positive response is making me curious... Shrugging
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:43 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:
I once said I could watch a production of Lord of the Rings if it was a bare stage, no props and no costumes so long as it had a decent script that tried to follow the book and this sort of proves it- I enjoyed those three episodes considerably more than I did PJ's entire first Hobbit film.

Don't forget that there actually is a script for the stage adapted by Patricia Gray that was approved by JRRT in person in 1968. Of course it's not quite like the book....

Spoiler:
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by David H Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:03 pm

I googled a bit and found this article on a director who did a purist edit of the Hobbit script with the blessing of the Tolkien Estate.  

Written by Jeff Ignatius  

If Peter Jackson taught the world anything with his epic three-movie The Lord of the Rings series, it’s that audiences want their Tolkien to be faithful to the original work. So when Susan Holgersson started comparing J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit with Patricia Gray’s script, “I started to realize there was a situation there,” she said. Playcrafters Barn Theatre decided about a year ago to do the play, and Holgersson was selected as its director in August.

The problem was that Gray’s script excludes key sections of the story’s beginning and middle and completely changes the ending. Instead of having the simple hobbit Bilbo Baggins and the wizard Gandalf as the narrative’s heroes, Gray has the dwarf Thorin slay the dragon. The result, Holgersson argues, is an alteration of Tolkien’s philosophy. “For me to have a script that actually distorted Tolkien’s whole value system … I just couldn’t do that,” she said.

At the outset, though, she decided to stick with the script, which, curiously, had been approved personally by Tolkien.

The play isn’t a travesty, Holgersson stressed. The first 47 pages are “totally Tolkien,” she said. The problem only comes in the last page and a half. “It looks like, ‘I’m running out of time,’” Holgersson said. “If we were doing a grade-school production, we’d be fine.”

But when Holgersson started auditioning for the play in May, children up for roles complained about the changes to the story. “They all knew,” she said. That’s when she realized the importance of doing the script right.

It’s not as simple as re-writing, however. When theatre organizations purchase the rights to a play, they’re not allowed to alter it. So to put on a proper production of The Hobbit, Holgersson needed the permission of both Tolkien’s estate and Dramatic Publishing, which administers the rights.

It turns out that Holgersson was the first person to complain about the differences between the play and the original book, which serves as a prologue to The Lord of the Rings. “They could have easily said, ‘No,’” Holgersson said.

But she got the permissions and re-wrote sections of the play, and when the Playcrafters production of The Hobbit opens on Friday for a three-week run, audiences will get Tolkien’s story. Holgersson has, referring to the original Tolkien novel, added a prologue, an interim scene, and an epilogue while using nearly all Gray’s original script. Elements of The Hobbit “all pull through in The Lord of the Rings, and they’re missing in her play,” the director said.

Holgersson was also able to restore some of Tolkien’s style in her additions. “Tolkien has a beautiful way of writing repetition,” she said. “It’s like a Shakespearean language. A lot of that is edited out in Gray’s work.”

Holgersson is also undertaking a completely new version of The Hobbit, building on her additions to Gray’s script and starting over. She hopes that will be done by October and will be picked up by Dramatic Publishing, so that other theatre companies can use it.

But for the present, she’s sticking with the Gray base, and hoping to give the Quad Cities an authentic Tolkien. Holgersson has assembled a cast of 40 people, with Mia Kavensky (the daughter of Reader contributor Jodie Shagrin Kavensky) playing Bilbo.

“I really wanted to cast a man,” Holgersson said. But “she was absolutely incredible.” Consider it just another way that the director is defying convention in trying to remain faithful to Tolkien.
David H
David H
Horsemaster, Fighting Bears in the Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:04 pm

I wonder if they will film it too for release s some stage productions are.
Id like to see that.

Well I watched the rest of the episodes in the Finish one (I should have gone straight to the uploaders playlist instead of expecting youtube to provide the option  of the next part Rolling Eyes ) and am currently downloading it all.

Loved it.
Yes it looks like they had no money- yes they appear to have dressed people after they had run out of costumes- so we have a samurai Bormoir! Yes MT Doom is a cone of mud with a firework stuck in the top. Yes everyone looks the same height, hobbits, men, elves and dwarves. Yes Galadriel appears as a puddle! And Tom Bombadil is an Indian Shaman and Gollum a chubby bloke ect
And none of it matters a jot anymore than that one of the Daleks deadly weapons is a sink plunger because the heart of the thing is there and its largely well told.

Its also well named- its not an adaptation exactly of TH and LotR's- its elderly Sam telling hobbit children how the Ring came to hobbits and what effect it had by following the hobbits who had direct dealings with it- so once the Fellowship breaks we only get told in a narration about Rohan and Ents and Isengard ect whilst the story solely follows Frodo and Sam trying to get to Mordor- much is truncated or missing- the marshes are there but no mention of the Dead or the lights.
There is no Cirith Ungol and the staircase becomes a perilous bridge crossing- and it still doesnt matter becauuse the character dramas being played out between Frodo, Sam and Gollum is so much better realised than in PJ's eye candy and gives the same relentless, beating down of the will feel the book gives.
There is real sense of two friends pushed to the limit of what the can endure, they are worn down, become aggressive and snappy with each other in a way PJ's 'lets not put anyone off' doesn't allow- this Frodo is at times downright nasty to Sam in his delivery of lines in a away PJ's ridiculous sending away of Sam in favour of Gollum doesnt get close to achieving.
And Mordor- despite being one studio location and a papermache background looks like a horrible wearying place to be , full of fumes and dark and smoke.

If your still not convinced Eldo this has merit watch this episode from 3:05

Or 5:00 in for a version of the "I wonder if we will ever be put in tales and songs' scene that is in my view way more powerful drama than pJ's walking through the woods version.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down