Ally
Ringdrotten
Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
Kafria
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Whats your opening scene? Empty Whats your opening scene?

Post by Kafria Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:22 pm

talking about bag end made me wonder....how do you see the beginning?

I would start with Bilbo in his parlour, finishing a seedcke as there is a knock on the door. Cue flashback to meeting Gandalf and an 'Oh Drat!' moment. Opening Credits, then Bilbo opening the door and being confused!

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Whats your opening scene? Empty Re: Whats your opening scene?

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:34 pm

Films usually start with something big and brash. I would expect something not from the book directly, as its PJ. So possibly they will start with a bit of backstory, and a bit of the past- Smaug descending on the Lonely Mountain and the escape of the dwarves including Thorin and Gloin. That sets them up as characters and gives the viewer an all action start- not saying I'd like this, obviously not, just I suspect we will get something big and brash for an opening. I can't see PJ starting with the quiet, gentle opening of the book.
Of course if Frodo is in it reading from the Redbook then presumably he will be in the opening scene somehow.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:40 pm

I'm sure you're right about the big opening, but I like the idea of a gentle opening, with the nature of the book and it sets up the idea of this quiet life that is about to be disrupted, also Gandalf does not need too much intro to the audience even those who haven't read the book, it will help maintain some of his mystery

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:46 pm

I think one of the inevitable problems with a TH film after a LotR one is a lot of the fun and mystery about Gandalf as he is in TH is gone. Everyone knows who he is, this changes the dynamic. In the book he is to the reader, as he is to Bilbo, mysterious and unknown. Its not even certain how 'safe' Gandalf is. He comes and goes at the start, he looks like a 'sorcerer' beneath a cloud of glowing green smoke rings. All that sense of who he is and what he is up to will be lost now.

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:23 pm

Without doubt that is going to be true for a lot of the audience, but I live in hope that a new generation of youngsters will be taken to these films as they are based on a 'childrens story'. For those that come new to tolkien and for the nostalgic child I will keep dreaming Smile

Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:45 pm

I rather doubt that the films will be marketed as a children's story or as based on a children's story. The film-makers seem to be going out of their way to try to replicate the financially successful elements of LOTR, and the studio would probably support a 'safe bet' option like that. I would be surprised if these films get less than a PG-13/12A/other local equivalent like LOTR did. Which is a real shame, because The Hobbit is a true classic of children's literature and an adaptation could be a classic of children's cinema without being totally frivolous.

As for the opening scene, I expect it will be set in the Shire after the bulk of the events of ROTK as a framing device. If it was up to me I would start the film in the Shire with Bilbo in his nice comfortable Hobbit hole before uprooting him - and the audience - and tossing him into the adventure. Not every film needs or should have a big action-y opening, in my opinion. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:52 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:I think one of the inevitable problems with a TH film after a LotR one is a lot of the fun and mystery about Gandalf as he is in TH is gone. Everyone knows who he is, this changes the dynamic. In the book he is to the reader, as he is to Bilbo, mysterious and unknown. Its not even certain how 'safe' Gandalf is. He comes and goes at the start, he looks like a 'sorcerer' beneath a cloud of glowing green smoke rings. All that sense of who he is and what he is up to will be lost now.

The mystery about Gandalf is gone once you've read the book, so I don't think you can blame the films for ruining the mystery about Gandalf. The book has already ruined that. The only ones who will miss out on Gandalf's mystery are those who haven't read the book, and honestly, we don't want Jackson & Co making a film for non-readers, do we now? Smile

Whats your opening scene? Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:01 pm

I suppose I should rephrase my question. In an ideal pre LOTR film world, how would you have this film open if you were directing it?

Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:54 pm

Well...I'd have a scene starting at the front door of Bag End, then the brief description of Bilbo and his home by a Narrator. Then maybe a few sweeping shots of the stunning Hobbiton of Bagshot Row, or both, then the Gandalf knocking on the door scene. Frodo will probably introduce the story, which wouldn't be my ideal choice, but I can live with that!

I think the film will be children friendly most of the time though, only the Battle of the Five Armies, maybe the spiders scene, but apart from that, and unless they go really off on a tangent concerning the original text, there isn't that much violence, just mystery and a good adventure! (Though I doubt it will be so family friendly to be a PG, so yeah, it's going to be 12+ in the UK I suspect!

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:41 am

Sam Gamgee (as Narrator) telling his grand kids the tale. He can start it something like "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit," and show his wide-eyed grand kids quickly taking up positions around the fireplace to listen (they love the story, just like I do, no mattter how often I hear it). Then fade out and back in to show Bilbo in his hole baking seedcakes. (The Narrator can pop in now and then to deal with tricky scenes to film).

As to any suggestion The Hobbit should not be a Kid's Movie. The Movie will make more money over time as a well made kid's movie than it will as a well made adult movie. Classic kid's movies live forever and a new audience is born every day, they don't readily fade as most so-called classic adult movies do.
odo banks
odo banks
Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:45 am

Well said Odo. TH is a kids book and an enduring classic. As a kids film it could also endure. As an adult film it will disappear and be just another blockbuster of the cgi age (like LotR) regarded with little other merit in the future, beyond being an example of the excess of this period in cinema at the expense of characterisation and plot development.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:25 pm

I can understand and to a point agree with your cynicism, Petty, but so far LOTR has not had that fate, even as other popular franchises have been turned on by fans and critics alike (Star Wars, The Matrix, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.). LOTR actually showed massive popularity during the spurt of 'best of the decade' lists at the end of 2009.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:52 pm

"LOTR actually showed massive popularity during the spurt of 'best of the decade' lists"- Eldo

That's cause they were relativity recent and hugely hyped. I can't say they won't last the test of time for sure but I don't believe they will. In fifty years time I doubt they will still top lists, or even appear on them. And my reasoning is if I compare them to my favourite films of the last 50 years they don't come close.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:27 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:That's cause they were relativity recent and hugely hyped.

That's why I mentioned other recent hyped-up franchises. Wink Anyway, I can't pretend to know what will happen either, but so far at least LOTR has fared better than most blockbusters. I would wait until it's been at least 20 years to say if they have gained 'classic' status or not, but I think they have a good chance at it.

That said, I do agree with Odo about The Hobbit as a children's movie. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:56 pm

Well my opening scene would be Paul McCartney reading the lines "The Hobbit; a Ally Nejranowski film". Or an equally unpronounceable surname!

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:18 am

Ally wrote:Well my opening scene would be Paul McCartney reading the lines "The Hobbit; a Ally Nejranowski film". Or an equally unpronounceable surname!

Why not a nice, sensible name. Your own, perhaps? (If it is sensible, of course. Shocked ) And why Paul McCatney, pray tell?

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:18 pm

Paczkowski is a very respectable name...and duhh I'm not exactly going to ask Syd Barrett's Bob Dylan haunting ghost to do it am I??? Mad

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:18 pm

((I'm told Syd's the cause of Bob Dylan's Blues))

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:36 pm

Ally wrote:((I'm told Syd's the cause of Bob Dylan's Blues))

Syd's one of the saddest stories in Rock I ever hear'd.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:40 am

Yeah I just hope he got better and realized that he wanted to be an artist not a musician, so hopefully he led a happy life from there on after. Ofc, he might of just had enough of the fame and pressure that comes with being a famous musician, but it's still tragic, everything about his departure from leaving the public eye was tragic, but hopefully he was happy!!!

Haven't seen much of his art, but from reading, he apparently was extremly good as a student. Very Happy

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:39 pm

Ally wrote:Yeah I just hope he got better and realized that he wanted to be an artist not a musician, so hopefully he led a happy life from there on after. Ofc, he might of just had enough of the fame and pressure that comes with being a famous musician, but it's still tragic, everything about his departure from leaving the public eye was tragic, but hopefully he was happy!!!

Haven't seen much of his art, but from reading, he apparently was extremly good as a student. Very Happy

We can only hope. Sad

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:10 pm

Maybe my two favourite songs this year! cheers cheers

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Shepherd Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:50 pm

<delete>

Last edited by Forest Shepherd on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

"The earth was rushing past like a river or a sea below him. Trees and water, and green grass, hurried away beneath. A great roar of wild animals rose as they rushed over the Zoological Gardens, mixed with a chattering of monkeys and a screaming of birds; but it died away in a moment behind them. And now there was nothing but the roofs of houses, sweeping along like a great torrent of stones and rocks. Chimney-pots fell, and tiles flew from the roofs..."
Forest Shepherd
Forest Shepherd
The Honorable Lord Gets-Banned-a-lot of Forumshire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:07 pm

Something directly linking to LotR's, and I would say with at least a hint of ominous.
So either ending somehow on the Ring, the Eye bursting into flames in Mordor or Gollum leaving his cave. Anything except what is in the bloody book! Mad

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:27 pm

I want it to be like that picture someone posted, the one where Balin, Gandalf and Bilbo (drawn to look like the actors from the films) sit and smoke in Bag End. But I guess Petty is right Sad The only reason I'm watching it is because I'd like to be able to give Petty some input when he's doing the edit. If it wasn't for that one, I would have spared myself round two of the rage DOS provoked in me. Just thinking about this makes me angry again - what a waste of a great opportunity.  ¤=%&("¤! Banghead

Whats your opening scene? Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next