Norc
Eldorion
Mrs Figg
Pettytyrant101
halfwise
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

I saw The Hobbit in High Frame Rate!! Empty I saw The Hobbit in High Frame Rate!!

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:08 pm

Well, a month ago I saw it in standard format, and as everyone knows there were parts I was not pleased with. Then I saw it in 3D, and though the 3D didn't do much for me, the second viewing made me somewhat more accepting of some of the PJ interludes.

But as far as I understood it, to this date nobody on this forum has seen it in HFR. Surprisingly, Manhattan has only one theatre showing HFR, and they pull out all the stops: it's 3D, IMAX, H-F$*&ing-R, Baby!!

So I figured somebody should make the leap. My reactions are tempered somewhat by this being the 3rd viewing, but that's probably all for the good because I could concentrate on the technology alone. (get ON with it, Halfwise!).

Let's just say, I loved it. Some critics say it's less painterly, you have an easier time telling you are looking at miniatures as opposed to reality, and that's true, though part of it may be IMAX with expanded dpi. But the breathtaking reality of it overwhelms the more artistic feelings for me. I don't think things like makeup jumps out at you so much as the fact that everything looks so REAL that it's kind of jarring to see a dwarf standing next to you. So your mind complains and you decide it's just bad make up, where in all probability it's just enhanced incongruity. But it's worth it to feel you are right in there.

And now we come to the part I find hard to admit. I HATE admitting this: but...

...I really enjoyed goblin town. It works GREAT in IMAX HFR.

There, I said it. It's clear the whole setup was MADE for IMAX HFR 3D. Everything that used to make me roll my eyes left me bouncing up and down in my seat and giggling. There's no other reason for this sequence to exist the way it did except to show off the technology, and it works.

But nothing redeems that %$#!! bunny sled.

halfwise
Quintessence of Burrahobbitry

Back to top Go down

I saw The Hobbit in High Frame Rate!! Empty Re: I saw The Hobbit in High Frame Rate!!

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:18 pm

Interesting- I said in my NotP review that the only reason I could think of for the stone giants and goblin town sequences was the 3D- I had not considered it might also be the HFR too.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

I saw The Hobbit in High Frame Rate!! Empty Re: I saw The Hobbit in High Frame Rate!!

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:28 pm

wow makes me wish I had bothered to go see it in HFR now. but its all gone from the cinemas here now, theres only normal 2d. I wish you had told us earlier. grrrrrrrrrr! Mad
anyway glad you liked it, its obviously all about the tech then? everything is being done to make it like a circus ride.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:35 pm

Yeah, goblin town was a three-ring circus ride.

I should have added that nothing redeemed the stone giants either - just not as multilayered or as much going on. Even in IMAX the fact that this huge stone trumpeting goliath has a bunch of dwarves stuck on his knee like a patch of dog poo that refuses to fall off just ruins it.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:50 pm

was the WC any better? did Gladders look any less wooden? I bet Erebor and Dale was spectacular?
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:58 pm

Gladders skirt still looked keen. I pass over the rest in silence.

Dale was pretty good, but Erebor looked awesome.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:14 am

I'm glad that someone here was finally able to see The Hobbit in HFR. Very Happy Out of curiosity though, do you have much experience with IMAX films, Halfwise? I ask because I've noticed that most of the benefits of IMAX 3D (in 24fps) have been due to the IMAX rather than the 3D. I wonder if the same is true for HFR since IMAX is a fundamentally different and more impressive experience.

Regardless, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:40 am

It's hard to judge how much is IMAX and how much is HFR. I saw it in 3D before, and didn't see much of a difference. I will say that the fast action seemed less blurry, though that may have been the size. I wondered too, but I don't have the chance to separate out IMAX and HFR.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:04 am

okay.. now I want to see it in IMAX too... do you think they still show it in march in Berlin? class trip and that is the only IMAX i know about.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:10 am

A class trip to Berlin?! Don't tell me you know German too....

But won't they have you a bit scheduled up for a 3 hour movie?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:23 am

It always weirds me out when I remember how rare IMAX theatres are in Europe. Suspect

Anyway, IMAX theatres often have quick turnover since they try to show a lot of different movies, but it's definitely worth checking to see if the Berlin IMAX will still have The Hobbit. Smile I'm sure they have an online calendar, though it might not go that far in advance.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:25 am

a class trip to bowling

Gypsy gal, the hands of Harlem

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:33 am

yeah, I'll check it out, maybe somone wants to go with me, not going alone. The I'll just wait , these things tend to be brought up once or a billion times after.

yeah. class trip to berlin. More like vacation. lots of spare time I believe x) ja, ich spreche ganz gut deutch.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:36 am

Class trip to local supermarket

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:48 pm

I dont think this country does IMAX. Sad
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:13 pm

Somehow Italy and IMAX don't juxtapose mentally.

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by CC12 35 Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:53 pm

fun fact- once i met a random girl on a huge escalator in the subway tram on a class trip and we started screaming rack city

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:55 pm

yeah I know, I dont think there is one IMAX in the whole country. Shocked
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:00 pm

CC12 35 wrote:fun fact- once i met a random girl on a huge escalator in the subway tram on a class trip and we started screaming rack city

Shocked scratch

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:12 pm

I am sure they would show it if you just bribe the right people Mrs Figg- that is how things work there isnt it?

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:15 pm

Nod yup. or threaten to kneecap them
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:47 pm

i dunno, i don't think there is a single imax here either.. maybe in a couple of years.. Mad
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Post by halfwise Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:19 pm

Don't you just project movies up against the end of glaciers anyway?

halfwise

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanwa Raumo Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:10 pm

The first time I watched the Hobbit was in an Imax, with 3D. The second and third was at the theatre in the closest city to me, in 3D (but at only 24 fps.) Watching it in Imax was obviously a superior experience. The sound was AMAZING! You could hear everything, which made Riddles in the Dark so much better. (Though having read the book and knowing the outcome, it of course wasn't extremely suspenseful.) The seats were also better, I wasn't sore after sitting for 3 hours.

As for the framerate, the Imax had 48, while the other had 24. There was a noticeable difference. Everything was smoother in the Imax. The camera pans and action shots weren't as hard to follow in 3D. That having been said I would love to see the movie in 48 fps in 2D, as well as in 48 fps on my active 3D monitor. (I find that active 3D is much better than passive.)

Vanwa Raumo

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:18 pm

halfwise wrote:Don't you just project movies up against the end of glaciers anyway?

oh yeah.. i don't hold up too much hope,.
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next