The New Improved Girlie Gossip thread - boys out!!

+21
Biffo Banks
Beren
Pretty Tyrant
Orwell
Baingil
Porgy Bunk-Banks
Brian Boru
Wisey Banks
Eldorion
Saradoc
Mirabella
Tinuviel
Ally
Ringdrotten
Squach
Gandalf's Beard
Admin
janesmith
Pettytyrant101
odo banks
Kafria
25 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The New Improved Girlie Gossip thread - boys out!! Empty The New Improved Girlie Gossip thread - boys out!!

Post by Kafria Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:51 pm

I love Austen!! shes so good at dissecting human nature, Persuasion is my favourite Very Happy

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

The New Improved Girlie Gossip thread - boys out!! Empty Re: The New Improved Girlie Gossip thread - boys out!!

Post by odo banks Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:08 am

Big hunky middleaged hobbit visitors are excepted, I trust, on the premise that girls should be allowed to chat, but only when supervised by mature males?

I've tried Jane Austen. Excellent writer, but I find her books a bit like the Silmarillion (or Wuthering Heights - which I adored but only read once). Need time, space and patience to get going. I might try Persuasion on your recommendation. Being less famous, it mght help. Read Northanger Abbey ages ago but can't remember much. My box set of Austen sits on my bookshelf and begs me to read them - I might have to exert myself.
odo banks
odo banks
Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

The New Improved Girlie Gossip thread - boys out!! Empty Re: The New Improved Girlie Gossip thread - boys out!!

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:55 am

Ok confession time- I've never read any Austin- not a single word. In fact I've never even managed to sit through the entirety of any of the numerous adaptations which have cropped up.
She is so famous as a writer I must be missing something. If you could sum up what was good about her writing in a paragraph Kafria what would you say?

ps if I'm wearing a kilt am I allowed in here despite the no boys policy (that and I have to delve into memory to remember when I was still a boy!-although arguably not a great deal has changed) Wink

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by janesmith Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:40 am

I'm pleased to see you have made a place for the girls, Kafria, but sadly it's already abundantly clear that the boys won't be letting us enjoy our privacy - so we must be careful what we say. Boys always have such trouble understanding us as it is. We'll definitely need to keep things simple. There is, of course, no hope of the new Administrator banning them altogether, is there? After all, the sign does say - boys out!:-Jane Mad
janesmith
janesmith
Mother Superior: Our Lady of the Anklelength Frock

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:42 am

It'd be difficult for the new administrator to do that since he is a boy Wink ... and by responding to you I've gone and broken into your thread, oh dear.... Embarassed
Admin
Admin
Administrator

https://www.forumshire.com

Back to top Go down

Post by janesmith Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:53 am

Oh dear! Then it will have to be kept simple, and don't blame me if you hear perfectly true and applicable comments about boys then, whether young or old:-Jane
janesmith
janesmith

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:59 am

Blimey Jane- I hope your avatar is a self potrait! Embarassed

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by janesmith Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:46 am

There are some similarities, if that's what you mean, and, frankly, a certain amount of wishful thinking involved too. I do hope you accept me for who I am and not for what I look like, Petty. Shocked Or perhaps, you are like some men I knew many moons ago who thought that what was in my head was supremely unimportant:-Jane
janesmith
janesmith

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:29 am

Sorry, what? Were you saying something? I was looking at your picture. Wink

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:35 am

How un-thankful you are, Jane. If Primmy or Bella looked like that I should admire them even more than I do now. What if they were twins that looked like that!!! My goodness me.... Embarassed As to what's in their heads, well, isn't it wise for a man to keep out of there! Shocked
odo banks
odo banks
Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:45 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Ok confession time- I've never read any Austin- not a single word. In fact I've never even managed to sit through the entirety of any of the numerous adaptations which have cropped up.
She is so famous as a writer I must be missing something. If you could sum up what was good about her writing in a paragraph Kafria what would you say?

ps if I'm wearing a kilt am I allowed in here despite the no boys policy (that and I have to delve into memory to remember when I was still a boy!-although arguably not a great deal has changed) Wink

Well, how do I keep this brief and clear? I think the difficulty is you have to see past the 'love' story and historical setting to the characterisation of individuals and human nature. Persuasion on the surface is a very sad story of a couple who got engaged when they were young, she is persuaded it's not a good idea and then they are thrown into company again years later. However through its characters you get to see the self delusion of the prideful, the impetus youth and the consequences it can cause, the irritated rubbing along of family, affected behaviour (in the classic sense) and the self interest of people. (I also admit it has my favourtie 'resolution' for the couple ever!!!).
As I love both silly romance as well as the insightful views of people these are fab reads for me. A lot of Sci Fi fans enjoy Austen due to the human nature link (as this is what good sci fi is about for me!).

Don't know if this helps - although Sense and sensibiltiy is a good place to start - I'd personally avoid Emma even though it is often said to be the best, she is just too much of a silly girl for me!

Does the kilt allowing you in here mean it is a skirt? Wink

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:37 am

As Pro-feminist Goddess worshiper I'm certain that I am allowed on this thread (by the way, it was because of me that Beren started the original Feminism thread back in the very early days of the forum). Yes, I know I'm just as naughty as any boy that likes girls, but I'm an equal opportunist when it comes to ogling.

Women should be able to have fun too. Who am I to complain that the Ladies like to ogle Gerard Butler or Brad Pitt, or Daniel Craig (heck, even I like to ogle Daniel Craig Embarassed ).

GB
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by Gandalf's Beard Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:43 am

By the way, Sense and Sensibility is by far my favourite Austen. Cool And I have to admit that my favourite film version is Ang Lee's (which has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that Alan Rickman is in it Wink ).

GB
Gandalf's Beard
Gandalf's Beard
Emeritus

Location : In the Headmaster's office at Hogwarts having tea with Dumbledore, Merlin, and Obi Wan Kenobi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:36 pm

Just recorded the rerun of andrew davies three part adaptation, which in my opinion catches Elinor better! Ah now, just need to find the time for telly marathon!

Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:36 pm

What girlie things shall we talk about? Boys? Make-up? Latest fashions?

queen queen queen queen queen

I like poking things with sticks. Get over it.
Bouncy bouncy  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce  bouncy bouncy Smile
Your mum.
Squach
Squach
Princess Of All Things Fashionable

Location : Brit-rain. Yorkshire, yo. On the sofa poking Kafria.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:34 pm

What happened to baking, cooking and cleaning? Laughing

The New Improved Girlie Gossip thread - boys out!! Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ally Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:07 pm

Cesc Fabragas is way to pretty to be a footballer... Mad

Ally
Wannabe Beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:50 pm

He should play in Scotland they will soon kick lumps out of his pretty face. Very Happy

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:30 pm

Definately, then he'll be suitably manly!!

What happened to baking, cooking and cleaning?

I don't know, did you forget to do your chores before you joined the high brow female conversation? Rolling Eyes

Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:47 pm

Embarassed

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:06 pm

Don't let the ladies intimidate your chauvinism Ringdrotten. Deep down they know no matter what they say they get a deep natural sense of well being and contentment at the sight of a nice clean floor, or a pile of freshly laundered clothes! Wink

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:13 pm

Oh you chauvinistic pig , I never said anything that might offend anyone! Mad ... Laughing

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:07 pm

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Don't let the ladies intimidate your chauvinism Ringdrotten. Deep down they know no matter what they say they get a deep natural sense of well being and contentment at the sight of a nice clean floor, or a pile of freshly laundered clothes! Wink

Not for me. You should see my bedroom! Though I don't really know if I class as a 'lady'.................

Probably just a girl. queen queen queen

Your mum.
Squach
Squach

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinuviel Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:14 pm

Well here's some girlie-ish gossip!
Orlando Bloom had a baby named Flynn. I'm pretty sure that kid will be the most gorgeous human being on the planet!
Flynn Bloom. Has a sexy ring to it Cool lol!

The New Improved Girlie Gossip thread - boys out!! Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Squach Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Wowzerz, coolio, lolzers!

All of these are random 'words' i say at school cos the other words like 'wow, cool, lol' don't have that edge that makes them so expressive.

Maybe i'm just weird....

If I say them in a weird accent, it sounds like im an alien or something!
Look! Arrow There I am! Arrow alien

Your mum.
Squach
Squach

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next