Eldorion
Pettytyrant101
Saradoc
The Wobbit A Parody
11 posters

Go down

Troll Hunter Empty Troll Hunter

Post by The Wobbit A Parody Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:48 pm

We're off to see Troll Hunter, the Norwegian monster movie, this afternoon. Has anyone seen it?

-Paul
The Wobbit A Parody
The Wobbit A Parody
Ringwinner

http://thewobbitaparody.com

Back to top Go down

Troll Hunter Empty Re: Troll Hunter

Post by Saradoc Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:08 pm

Never heard of it! I'll watch out for the UK release (if there is one?) definitely. Was it any good then? Smile

King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.

Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Saradoc
Saradoc
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:12 pm

This came up on the youtube thread I think. I enjoyed it and I was watching the Norwegan version with no subtitiles and it was still good (and no I don't speak a word of the language). Good proper folklore trolls too, if a bit bigger than I expected, although in Scots folklore some of the hills are sleeping trolls so they always came in sizes small to gargantuant. Theres a trailer for it on the youtube thread, somewhere.

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Troll Hunter Empty Of Norwegian Descent

Post by The Wobbit A Parody Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:20 pm

I'm going to the theatre in a couple of hours and will report in afterwards. My great-grandparents came from Norway, so we always enjoy explorations of our cultural heritage, like when we saw Thor.
The Wobbit A Parody
The Wobbit A Parody
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:39 pm

I still think that Ringdrotten is off troll hunting for real during his forum absence. Razz

I haven't seen the movie myself, though it sounds like an interesting premise. I might go hunt down a trailer on YouTube sometime.
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Troll Hunter Empty Trollhunter=Big Fun

Post by The Wobbit A Parody Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:50 am

I went to see the Norwegian monster movie, Trollhunter with my family (wife, 16-year-old daughter, sister, niece) yesterday, and we all had a great time. It's a mockmentary based on the anonymous delivery of some college student videos of a government troll hunter at work. It was funny and lightly creepy, and the digital trolls were splendid.

One troll had three heads, and there was an entire pack of them in an underground den, and a huge one at the end. They were totally believable in appearance. There was an attempt to explain scientifically why they turn to stone in the sunlight, but fortunately they didn't dwell on that too much.

My family doesn't get out much, so it was very cool to see an foreign film with subtitles that had monsters. We're all fans of Norse Folklore and Mythology, although not experts. We've read a little about trolls in some norwegian children's books, and it was wonderful to see them so vividly presented.

The pace was a little slow for those of us addled by Hollywood, but it was still very engaging. The film came across like Blaire Witch Project meets Scooby Doo meets Jaws. The troll hunter was fun, and all his anti-troll UV-light-based weapons (to turn the trolls to stone) were fascinating. And the trolls were, as I said, excellent.

It's a great change-of-pace film on a fascinating subject. Ringdrotten, have you seen it? I hear it got mixed reviews at home, but I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't like it. It seemed very earnest.

-Paul
The Wobbit A Parody
The Wobbit A Parody
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:38 pm

I haven't seen it, I'm afraid. Three-headed trolls does sound like trolls from Norwegian folk lore, though, I should really give that film a go Smile The people I know who have watched it enjoyed it, but the critics gave it mixed reviews - I'll have to watch it someday and give it my own Wink

Troll Hunter Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:57 pm

Well, not quite your average Hollywood or Norwegian film production! I liked it Very Happy And that's saying something about the movie since Norwegian films in general make me almost as crabbit as Petty.

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Guy Incognito Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:21 pm

What are most Norwegian films like?

Guy Incognito

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:24 pm

They're all crappy, and 95% of them features the same 4-5 actors. That's how most Norwegian films are like Wink

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:44 pm

Troll Hunter

Troll Hunter Troll10
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:34 pm

Wonder what his name is? Bert? BIll? Or, um, the other one! Embarassed

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wobbit A Parody Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:17 am

Tom, was it?

It doesn't look like he'd be much bothered by a flaming stick in the eye, does it? And a hobbit would make FAR less than a mouthful.
The Wobbit A Parody
The Wobbit A Parody
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:57 am

Tom! Yes indeed, thankyou Wobbit- buckie brain- its the spells those buckie-brewing-wizards use you know, mishevious, they hide memories.
Yeah for three trolls that size they wouldn't be much more than a snack a bunch of dwarves and a burrahobbit.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Troll Hunter Empty 'Ere Now!

Post by The Wobbit A Parody Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:35 pm

Was it cockney accents that the trolls had in The Hobbit? (In the States we're not always able to articulate WHICH British accent we're hearing on BBC TV.) I really hope Jackson's trolls talk. The bickering in the book was excellent!
The Wobbit A Parody
The Wobbit A Parody
Ringwinner

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:52 pm

They sound like dumb cockneys, but i lived up north in york-shire. There a weired lot down south, they speak funny Wink
chris63
chris63
Adventurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:07 am

Was that in Bridlestone Lane, Chris? If so, I may know them. I seem to remember they were a little too fond of sherry, slurred their speech, made them sound like Fjordianlandians (apparently).  Nod

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:10 am

oooh. a thread about my occupation .. (fuck it was gonna be a secret dammit)
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:12 am

I saw part of a movie called Trollhunter just last night. What a coincidence. Were you the girl in it, Norc?

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebottle Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:23 pm

Norc wrote:oooh. a thread about my occupation .. (fuck it was gonna be a secret dammit)

Psst, should you really be saying that in front of Ringo. He might think you're making fun of his real life job. 

Bluebottle
Concerned citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarië Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:35 pm

Rare Export is also a good movie, sort of in the same ball park as Trollhunter, but darker. (It IS Finnish, after all.) It's not for those who are really fond of jolly old St. Nick. (Then I recommend "Arthur Christmas" instead. Cute, weird and funny. Gave me many good laughs it did!)

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
-Marcus Aurelius

#amarieco
Amarië
Amarië
Dark Planet Ambassador

Back to top Go down