Orwell
Ringdrotten
Eldorion
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

An idea: custom domain name Empty An idea: custom domain name

Post by Eldorion Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:26 pm

I've thought about this issue on and off since we moved to our new home, and Petty's idea for an ad campaign has brought it to the front of my mind. Smile If we're going to advertise the forum and try to attract more attention, I think we might have more success if we have a less unwieldy domain name than "hobbitmovie.forumotion.com". Forumotion, being the nice people that they are, have an option that allows the forum owner to buy a new domain name. This costs about US$16 per year. I can cover some of this of this (I have to pay an annual charge for my own website but it's through Wordpress and thus very cheap), and there is also a donation feature that can be activated using PayPal.

What I'm working towards is that I have a few questions:

1. Do you guys think that we should get a custom domain name for the forum?
  2. If yes, what should it be called? Ideas I've considered are hobbitmovieforum.com and forumshire.com
  3. Would anyone be interested/able to help pay the small annual fee to buy and keep a domain name?

If you're interested in learning more about Forumotion and custom domain names, they have a help article on the subject here. Let me know if you guys think this is a good idea. Very Happy
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

An idea: custom domain name Empty Re: An idea: custom domain name

Post by Ringdrotten Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:30 pm

1) Sure!

2) I like Forumshire.com, but if we want more people to find us, perhaps this is not the best choice?

3) No problem Wink

An idea: custom domain name Man-in-black
Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:58 pm

Forumshire.com sounds good - though Tolkienandeverythingelse.com would seem to cover what we do here more adequately. Very Happy Hobbitforumrefugees.com? $16.00 does not seem excessive. I'm sure I could help.

Orwell
Dark Presence with Gilt Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:43 pm

hobbitmovieforumrefugees? to cover more bases
And yes chipping in sounds good!

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:13 am

hobbitmovieforumrefugees.com is accurate. Has a slightly rebellious feel to it too. That will suit GB, I'm sure -- and me too to be honest.... Smile

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:17 am

You can waste your money as you please --- I shan't open my wallet. Orwell obviously has more money than cents! --- sense, I mean... As to you Kafria, shouldn't you be thinking about fees for Our Lady? Or don't you love your daughter? Sad

Respectable Hobbit of Needlehole

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:25 am

odo banks wrote:As to you Kafria, shouldn't you be thinking about fees for Our Lady? Or don't you love your daughter? Sad

I do love my daughter, which is why I don't need to save for Our Lady.. poor outdated institution with oppresive views of a womans rightful place.

(It might be worth expanding a little family history... Matraichal family, ruled by my gran, three aunts and my mum (dad passed away) one sister and myself on my own with Squach, men only marry into this family! (Not strictly true two male cousins out of 9 and more boys than girls in Squach's generation). Women looking out for themselves and organising things is the norm around here! (Dad worked abroad and was home for 3 weeks every 4 months too)

Last edited by Kafria on Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total

'A novel is a long piece of prose with ,in the eyes of the author at least, something wrong with it - Neil Gaiman, intro to American gods
Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:35 am

Mmmm so this means you can cook and clean? Wink

A Green And Pleasant Land

Compiled and annotated by Eldy.

- get your copy here for a limited period- free*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yjYiz8nuL3LqJ-yP9crpDKu_BH-1LwJU/view

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
Warning may contain Wholesome Tales
[/b]

the crabbit will suffer neither sleight of hand nor half-truths. - Forest
Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Kafria Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:36 am

Pettytyrant101 wrote:Mmmm so this means you can cook and clean? Wink

just cos I can doesn't mean I do! Very Happy

Kafria
Kafria
Lady of Dale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:41 am

"just cos I can doesn't mean I do"- Kafria

Women should have that tatooed on their forehead it would save a lot of trouble. Very Happy

*Pure Publications reserves the right to track your usage of this publication, snoop on your home address, go through your bins and sell personal information on to the highest bidder.
[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:43 am

"It might be worth expanding a little family history... Matraichal family, ruled by my gran, three aunts and my mum (dad passed away) one sister and myself on my own with Squach, men only marry into this family! Not strictly true two male cousins out of 9 and more boys than girls in Raspberry's generation. Women looking out for themselves and organising things is the norm around here! (Dad worked abroad and was home for 3 weeks every 4 months too."

Aaah! I see now! Perhaps I've been a little harsh, Kafria. Obviously, it's not totally your fault how you turned out. Too few males around? No wonder you've got queer ideas! But please - no more criticising Our Lady. It only shows your ignorance.

(Forbearingly) Here to help! Very Happy

Last edited by odo banks on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:35 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by odo banks Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:44 am

I don't approve of tattoos, Mr Tyrant, but you do make an excellent metaphorical point!

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:44 am

I posted this in another thread but I think it's worth repeating here. Smile

Eldorion wrote:hobbitmovierefugees.com seems to be pretty popular, but honestly I've never understood why you guys want to keep calling ourselves refugees. We lost our old home, sure, but the whole point of making this site was to have a new home so we wouldn't have to stay refugees, wasn't it? Razz Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:50 am

It in memorial Eldo. We were made refugees and wanderers and then we found a new home (and we didn't have to involve ourselves with a 1000 year feud to do it- well except the McTyrant- MacBankses thing) and the neame commemorates that mighty event. And it has a hint of the outsiders about it which I think has osme appeal given our 'free spirit' status.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:51 am

I had been thinking more of trying to attract new people, but you make an interesting point. Smile NB Your post gave me the sense that we're wandering in the desert for 40 years or something. Laughing
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:54 am

Well I did have to go back and look for that buckie I dropped on the way here, that took a few hours, same thing. And when theres no buckie a few hours feels like 40 years!

But I can see your point about attracting folks, refugees might be ofputting to some I suppose but to me it has something of a welcoming about it, welcoming refugees in.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:52 am

No matter how we play it, folk will need some "adjustment" time when they come here. If they persist and come to like us, they'll join - but otherwise - well, then they won't, I guess.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:18 pm

Well an eagle just dropped off a message from Pretty Tyrant, apparently the NotP have her working undercover on the Dark Planet (I was wondering where she had got to) and she has posted a link to the forumshire vid in their ads section. So we shall see if that brings us any new faces.

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:41 am

Clever girl that Pretty Tyrant. Dark Planet, hey? I hope she had a chaperone - Odo would be on the look out for that.

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:45 am

Its usually best not to give Pretty a chaparone. The state some of them have come back in! Shocked

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Pettytyrant101 Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:37 am

Turns out Pretty ain't so clever after all. She just sent me this.

"Disaster Petty, they took down the ad link, now NotP won't pay the buckie bill. The evil mods on the Dark Planet said this;

'*URL removed by Rednell.Sorry, Pretty Tyrant, links to Youtube are not permitted in the forums as that website does not conform to our "Family Friendly" criteria.

What should I do Petty?'

Obviously I advised using femine wiles. That usually works for her, or ends in criminal charges.

And they wonder why we all left!

add- not sure Pretty has, um, entirly taken my advice. I rather fear they might be getting her heckles up, the signs are there. Oh dear, not for all the buckie in Scotsdale would I stand in her way when 'the mood' takes her! Shocked
She sent me an update, this apparently was what she said in response;

'That's a terrible shame. Wha's a poor hobbit girl to do, I was just hoping to share some love.
I am afraid it's because of this sort of Draconian law enforcement that the others from the original Hobbit Movie News Forum felt they could not find a home here, and needed somewhere for free spirited folk to go.
I mean could you not just have checked out the link, seen it was all wholesome stuff and been content? And if youtube is classified as not family friendly may I ask if any video hosting site is?
edit-I did try looking through your rules but unfortunately I have a rather important party to be at later in the month so didn't have the time to trawl through the lists of 'Family Friendly' approved sites, most of which seemed to be doing the rather unfriendly but profitable act of trying to sell things. What strange morals you have around here!'

[/b]

Pettytyrant101
Pettytyrant101
Crabbitmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:09 am

Iwouldn't usually suggest it - but I'm thinking of jack-booting my way into Dark Planet and orc-destroying the whole thing! The basstids! Fancy treating a lady like that! Mad

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:47 am

Come on.. Rolling Eyes

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Post by Orwell Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:24 pm

Rolling Eyes is for whom?

Orwell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringdrotten Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:35 pm

Orwell wrote: Rolling Eyes is for whom?

"'*URL removed by Rednell.Sorry, Pretty Tyrant, links to Youtube are not permitted in the forums as that website does not conform to our "Family Friendly" criteria. "

Ringdrotten
Ringdrotten
Mrs Bear Grylls

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next