The Hobbit Movie Promotions

+3
Mrs Figg
Tinuviel
kernul
7 posters

Go down

Did you know about the Treasure Hunt promotion that ran for the first two installments of the Hobbit movies?

The Hobbit Movie Promotions Voting100%The Hobbit Movie Promotions Voting10 0% 
[ 0 ]
The Hobbit Movie Promotions Voting1017%The Hobbit Movie Promotions Voting10 17% 
[ 1 ]
The Hobbit Movie Promotions Voting1083%The Hobbit Movie Promotions Voting10 83% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 6

Poll closed

The Hobbit Movie Promotions Empty The Hobbit Movie Promotions

Post by kernul Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:10 am

Hi Folks,

I'm doing a project on the Hobbit films for my school project, I'm researching the promotions Warner Bros. ran to promote the 2 hobbit films that have come out so far. I believe there was a 'Treasure Hunt' that they ran where the grand prize was attending the NZ premiere for the first film. Did any of you take part in that? Were there any other promotions that you guys took part in?

My objective is to find out what the core fans are exposed to and where/how they get their Middle-Earth fix; I'm not even sure if everybody is aware of the Treasure Hunt?

The next film, Battle of the 5 Armies, is out in Dec. If there was an online contest to get merchandise, tickets to preview screenings, etc., would you guys go for it?

ANY kind of feedback would be appreciated, I can't promise a trip to NZ, but my project can certainly make it to the people who make key decisions so any ideas would be great!!

Thanks in advance.
Kundul.

farao

kernul

Back to top Go down

The Hobbit Movie Promotions Empty Re: The Hobbit Movie Promotions

Post by Tinuviel Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:30 am

I don't think there are a lot of "core fans" over here, at least we aren't the target demographic. I personally stay away from other sites because I like this one just fine! So I was never aware of a treasure hunt or anything. We are a bit more critical of the Hobbit movies here, though that doesn't mean some of us (myself included) would be opposed to a trip to the premier. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of what Peter Jackson has done with the Hobbit, so any fan service surrounding the film(s) don't really do anything for me  Shrugging 

The Hobbit Movie Promotions Tumblr_ndsrspapRL1qlqsnio3_500
Tinuviel
Tinuviel
Finest Nose

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:35 am

I dont like Warner bros. I dont like their products. sorry.  No 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:39 am

Hi kernul. Here are a couple sites where you might get a better response.

newboards.theonering.net

www.reddit.com/r/thehobbit

www.reddit.com/r/lotr

Good luck on your project.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:02 am

I haven't participated in any of the promotional campaigns/online games/whatever, no.

kernul wrote:ANY kind of feedback would be appreciated, I can't promise a trip to NZ, but my project can certainly make it to the people who make key decisions so any ideas would be great!!

In that case, may I ask what specifically your connection to the production is?  I'm sure you understand that after long enough on the Internet, one learns not to believe claims like that too easily.  Nothing personal. Wink
Eldorion
Eldorion
You're Gonna Carry That Weight

https://purl.org/tolkien

Back to top Go down

Post by kernul Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:55 am

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. I did suspect that the hard-core Hobbit/LOTR fans might not be into the movies too much. The bulk of the box office figures are always 12 - 18 year old, I guess you can stretch it to 24 tops.

I would think the people on this forum are a bit older? I could do a poll and see what the average age here is.

Thank you Bungobaggins, I'll check out the reddit sites you mentioned.

Eldorion; The examiner on my project works for the marketing agency that handles hobbit promotions, I'm sure they'd be using stuff that I dig up if its useful or good enough. I personally do not have a direct connection with the productions.

Thanks all.

kernul

Back to top Go down

Post by Norc Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:00 pm

Well i am a core fan and i knew there was a competition but i forgot the name and well since i live far away and the premiere was on my birthday i just didn't bother Wink
Norc
Norc
Khaleesi

http://nimrail.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:10 pm

There are a lot of people under 25 here. Age doesnt really enter into it. Do the Hobbit promotions include the trailers or just merchandise, actual products, posters and such? Because the trailers have been a great letdown for me at least. The posters were not very creative apart from the very first Gandalf in the ME landscape poster, which was great. Some of the products have been a mixed bag, some not nice some ok. But I am pretty much disillusioned with the whole thing and marketing wont make things better. I really dislike these films.
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:59 pm

Hello Kernul.
Nothing on this planet would interest or entice me to have anything to do with any of the collaborating companies that produce films like this from Peter Jackson. Nothing on this planet would interest or persuade me to excite me about Peter Jackson either. We have war criminals,Petty thief Criminals, Bank Criminals, & I believe PJ is a "film Criminal" He has tortured & twisted Tolkiens work. So, no, Im not best pleased. But thats just my opinion of The Hobbit  Very Happy  Enjoy your school project  Very Happy 

The Hobbit Movie Promotions Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The Hobbit Movie Promotions Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:31 pm

kernul wrote:Thanks for your replies. I did suspect that the hard-core Hobbit/LOTR fans might not be into the movies too much. The bulk of the box office figures are always 12 - 18 year old, I guess you can stretch it to 24 tops.

As you may know, movie studios tend to break audiences into four demographics, based on gender and whether they are over or under 25 years old. There's a rule of thumb in movie marketing that the most successful films have something for each of these groups; the so-called "four quadrant movie".

http://www.screencraft.org/blog/four-quadrant-film-10-essential-elements/

I would think the people on this forum are a bit older? I could do a poll and see what the average age here is.

The median age on here is somewhere in the 20s. I couldn't say what the average age is since I've never done the math, not everyone lists their age, and not all of our members are currently active since it's a down period in terms of Hobbit hype, with the final marketing campaign only just beginning.

Eldorion; The examiner on my project works for the marketing agency that handles hobbit promotions, I'm sure they'd be using stuff that I dig up if its useful or good enough. I personally do not have a direct connection with the productions.

Fair enough. Best of luck on your project. Smile
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by kernul Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:04 pm

I guess being a fan of Tolkien's work doesn't automatically make you a fan of Peter Jackson's work, and understandably, PJ's work isn't everybody's cup of tea.

Mrs. Figg and Azriel, would you go see Battle of the 5 Armies? Or have you washed your hands off the whole thing?

I was wondering if hard-core hobbit fans (and I assume you guys are all big fans of The Hobbit - the story at least, if not the movies) would be interested in a quest to uncover clues and to get a grand prize? Is that too much involvement? Would you rather just enter a code from a candy wrapper and get something or work at solving a puzzle?

I think I'll post a poll for the age here, it'd be interesting to know what the average age here is. In case you're interested, most other forums for related to Tolkien have average age in the late 20s/30s.

kernul

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs Figg Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:13 pm

I love Peter Jacksons LOTR films, they are my favorite films. So yes I am a great fan of his previous work, but not a fan of the Hobbit films.

I will go and see the BO5A because I am curious just how awful it will be and a part of me gets masochistic pleasure in being appalled.

As for the quest for a prize, no, unless the prize was a few million quid to remake The Hobbit, or a private Q & A with Jackson and Boyens where I ask them what the f**** they were thinking. Then I would be interested.  Very Happy 
Mrs Figg
Mrs Figg
Eel Wrangler from Bree

Back to top Go down

Post by azriel Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:49 pm

I wont be in any hurry to see BOT5A, my money is sacred & only to be used for important things that are worthwhile or emergencies so, wasting it on a cinema ticket to make myself ill & watch more vomit is not for me. LOTRs I did, & still do, love, even tho there are mix ups in that but, on the whole it did bring Middle Earth to a life I could enjoy & wish to be a part of. Not so with The Hobbit  Evil or Very Mad  Im not at all tempted into any sort of competition of any kind. Even to speak with PJ is like shouting at the wind. He bloody well knows the views people have, He knew long ago & yet he still brought out this dross. He has no respect at all for Tolkien or the lovers of his works. PJ brought out a sink plunger & pulled up shat from the toilet he calls Cinema. PJ was utterly vain enough to think his idea of The Hobbit was far better & more appealing ! He couldnt be more deluded !

The Hobbit Movie Promotions Th_cat%20blink_zpsesmrb2cl

The Hobbit Movie Promotions Jean-b11
azriel
azriel
Grumpy cat, rub my tummy, hear me purr

Location : in a galaxy, far,far away, deep in my own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eldorion Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:05 pm

kernul wrote:I was wondering if hard-core hobbit fans (and I assume you guys are all big fans of The Hobbit - the story at least, if not the movies) would be interested in a quest to uncover clues and to get a grand prize? Is that too much involvement? Would you rather just enter a code from a candy wrapper and get something or work at solving a puzzle?

My fannish involvement with Middle-earth (both books and films) tends to take different forms. If I was really loving The Hobbit trilogy I might enter such a contest, but I know the odds of winning are miniscule and it would be a big hassle to arrange the trip even if it was paid for, and I just don't find The Hobbit to be worth that sort of trouble.
Eldorion
Eldorion

Back to top Go down

Post by bungobaggins Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:00 pm

If I were to enter any sort of contest (Hobbit related or not), I'd rather just unwrap a candy bar and enter a code. I am a lazy American, after all.

bungobaggins
Eternal Mayor in The Halls of Mandos

Back to top Go down